Best $100 trail cam

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am fairly new to the trail cam thing. I was looking into the coverts because a few buddies have good luck with them. Just looking for other options and opinions

Some must haves for me are powered by AA batteries simply to use and compact. Also what are your opinions on the security boxes which are screwed/chained to the tree.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Have 1 covert, and like it.

I don't use the security boxes, but I should. Lost a couple over the years.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have three bushnell trophy cam hd's. Absolute best camera I've run. Tried two coverts and they weren't worth a damn. One of my bushnells is a little older but it handles cold way better. Found out the new ones didn't take a picture once the temp dropped below 20 degrees. Not happy about that. BUT up to that point, they are still my favorite.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like Bushnell's. Great battery life using lithium. Great trigger speed and clear pics. Very small and easy to set up. I've had a few minor issues with the 2 I've had, but they were older versions from 5 or 6 years ago. Finally had one take a crap on me this spring so I have my eye on another Bushnell. They one's Yoby speaks of are going for about $90 to $110 new on Ebay if you are patient and watch multiple auctions. Even the no glow black LED ones are going for $100 to $120. I also have a Stealth cam I just got last year. Not very impressed with that one. Takes ok still pics when the deer isn't moving much, but the video is awful and the trigger speed is poor on moving deer.

shadow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Wildview, Tasco and a few Moultries, by far the Tasco have been most dependable. I am running 20 cameras with no boxes, this is just another thing the Bears can ruin. Longevity with batteries has also not been an issue, most run on 4 C, but then again I do not use them in the cold weather, but they are on constantly for 2-3 months.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
covert for pictures definitely, they are in your price point and they are simple to use, i run 4 of them myself and my brother runs 1, so out of the 7 trail cams we run 5 of them are coverts and there is a reason for that, loooooong battery life on AA, takes great pictures, i do like running some video on the trail cams and the coverts are definitely not the way to go for that, im still on the market to get into something HD for video use been looking at the bushnell HD for that need, but as far as just straight pictures go i am all in on covert. couple years ago i put out a covert in mid October and it stayed out all winter as i had already filled my tag and just left it for the winter just to get some pictures, it took pictures until late april and still had battery left, the SD card filled up, and this was a winter of a lot of the -20 to -40 temps...

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried a couple of the Moultrie's....Not a fan complete junk if you ask me they chew batteries up in about a week and I use the Lithium batteries. So I moved on from them I did purchase a bushnell this year to try another cheaper one but my main cameras are Reconyx but they are spendy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75