Boat ownership sucks

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
First windless day in two weeks, so I get to the lake, unload the boat, park the truck. Start heading to my secret spot, turn on the humminbird 899, and it shut downs. Then reboots, then shutdowns... Realizing something's up, I go to the internet. I try moving the power supply to the trolling motor batteries, no luck. I start unplugging accessories, no changes. I remove the lake master chip and some other sd card I had in there, then finally gave up and headed in. I get home, connect the head unit straight to the battery, update the firmware, and it still constantly reboots. So it looks like I'm shipping it back to humminbird and spending $280 on a shoddy reconditioned unit. At this point, I have over $5,000 worth of accessories, and a minnkota I link, so switching brands isn't even an option.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did it stay on to allow for the updates? It's one of those weekends I had my minnkota bank charger go Down this weekend. To think how few hours we put on this stuff vs if u lived down south. It's like really

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
When my fish-catching Starship Enterprise goes down, I use this:
IMG_3335.jpg

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like a friend of mine who's wealthier than most of us always says. If it flies, floats, or f...'s, rent it. It'll be way cheaper in the long run.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
You left the lake for this? You should probably sell that boat and buy a pontoon.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to have to disagree with those of you telling him he should have just fished anyway. While we all probably get wrapped up in the bells and whistles of our electronics, like structure scan and the like, depending on what lake he was fishing just to go running around without a depth finder could have turned an already bad day into an expensive one. I know he said lake but would you go running down the Missouri River without a depth finder. How about Devils or audoban with all the sunken rockpiles and trees. I know I wouldn't. Sorry about your bad luck Joe, I unfortunately spent what may turn out to be the nicest day of the year sick on the couch yesterday.;:;banghead

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boat ownership doesn't suck. Tracking gremlins sucks.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to have to disagree with those of you telling him he should have just fished anyway. While we all probably get wrapped up in the bells and whistles of our electronics, like structure scan and the like, depending on what lake he was fishing just to go running around without a depth finder could have turned an already bad day into an expensive one. I know he said lake but would you go running down the Missouri River without a depth finder. How about Devils or audoban with all the sunken rockpiles and trees. I know I wouldn't. Sorry about your bad luck Joe, I unfortunately spent what may turn out to be the nicest day of the year sick on the couch yesterday.;:;banghead

You better believe I'd fish or boat without electronics. On the Missouri River. The electronics don't tell you what's in front of you. Only what's beneath you. And GPS is neat, but not absolutely necessary. If you're unsure, slow down. It's pretty easy.

I spent many years in my late teens, fishing with my dad and we had no electronics. A speedo that never worked, a tach that only worked on Tuesdays. Got fairly good at reading the river. And we spent plenty of time skiing and tubing too, so we weren't always just putt-putting around.

I like gizmos as much as the next guy, and I'm not Wilfred Brimley, but you don't have to have a lake chip to go fishing.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought Humminbirds with my new boat this year. Could just as well be fishing blind...... Back to Lowrance for me next year!!

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did it stay on to allow for the updates? It's one of those weekends I had my minnkota bank charger go Down this weekend. To think how few hours we put on this stuff vs if u lived down south. It's like really
Yeah, the update went flawless actually, but once in test mode, or after hitting exit at the navigation warning screen, it briefly flashes a depth then shuts down. Either it is refusing to dump its memory, or the board is fried.

as far as fishing afterwards, I pretty much know the lake, but the problem is I couldn't relax. I would have spent the whole day fiddling the thing and not fishing anyways.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sold my '88 lund rebel last thursday, I've been sad about losing an old friend, I just felt I wasn' doing her justice letting her sit the way she has. After reading this I feel a little better about handing her over.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, the update went flawless actually, but once in test mode, or after hitting exit at the navigation warning screen, it briefly flashes a depth then shuts down. Either it is refusing to dump its memory, or the board is fried.

as far as fishing afterwards, I pretty much know the lake, but the problem is I couldn't relax. I would have spent the whole day fiddling the thing and not fishing anyways.

I blew the big motor on my boat the first season I owned it. We were heading out of the New Town Marina and got about 400 yards out, and pop went the 225 optimax. We fished the entire rest of the day using the 9.9. Yes it sucked, but I wasn't going to let it ruin my day. It over a $7,000 expense, and ruining the day would have added to that. But I do know what you mean, its a total suck fest when shit goes wrong.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I who uses the internet all the time for all my needs including license would never fish if my electronics go down even if I do not know how to even turn it on if I had one on my pontoon.
I did ask the wife if she knew where her hummingbird was put last fall and she was not sure either and I do not intent to look for it but somehow we will still make it out once the repair shop fixes the wheel bearing that went out on the trailer on the way to the lake last Thursday.
Its has got a tandem axle and I believe I could of drove the last 70 miles with only one tire but as I found it was out as I stop to put gas in I thought it best to find a repair shop in that town which I did.

For me if the hummingbird works or not it just does not matter as I am a horn hunter. Now if my electronic, 10,000 watt. 240 volt horn finder went out that would be a different story. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57