Suggestions: Son Needs His First Rod

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
So No. 1 Son and I got into some epic shore fishing in the Ottertail Lakes region Sunday. So much so, that my 30-year-old-ish Snoopy Pole finally took a dump and we were relegated to sharing my pole. Big difference for kiddo was that his pole had a button reel while mine was spinning.

We're in the market for his first real fishing rod, but I'm a bit torn on what to get him. My first rod after Mr. Snoopy was a Zebco combo. I used it quite a bit and it was an easy transition since it was just a bigger button reel/rod. But I was wondering if we could just fast-track him to the spinning reel. True, it takes a bit more finesse to cast, but he wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel when he's older and ready for an upgrade.

Then again he's only 3. Well, 3.5. So maybe sticking with a button reel is the way to go.

I'm open to experiences from dads with more years and children than I.

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
just get him a loomis.... I have a 12 year old that can wreck an ugly stick. I would go with what ever is on sale

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends a lot on how much you want to spend and what you will primarily be fishing for. I started my now 13 year old with a 4 and a half foot Shakespeare ultralight with a spinning reel when he was 6. He very quickly learned how to cast and jig with it. I just bought him a 6 foot Scheels outfitter rod with a Plfueger President reel for $99.99. That setup works great for everything we do - panfish with a bobber to jigging or Lindyrigging for walleyes.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every kid is different but if you think he is coordinated enough to use a spinning I would go that route. Get a shorter Scheels rod. If it breaks they will replace for free. And don't stand behind him the tip will always go straight for you eye! My son learned at the tail race on the blocks. There were so many Pike there he could toss a floating Rapala 10 ft and watch them follow it up every cast. There was one with a messed up jaw that he caught weekend after weekend.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good suggestions.

Price point runs in conjunction with replacement value ;) His tip awareness and ability to get sand/grime on his fishing equipment no matter where we fish is pretty incredible. Obviously I don't want to buy a cheap POS that can't stand up to his use and abuse. But he ain't getting a Loomis before his old man! That's for damn sure.

I like the idea of getting him an ultralight spinning combo. Right now he's still figuring out bobbers, so that'll be our main presentation on any given outing. He's fished walleyes with me a few times, but those trips he'd rather sit on dad's lap and help out or check on the bait every 2-5 minutes. You know...to make sure they're extra agitated to increase their catchability.

We are taking a Scheels trip this weekend so he can help pick out what he wants. Ultimately it'll be up to him, but I'll try to steer him in the right direction.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ugly Stick for the rod, kids love jamming the tip into everything while they walk and they withstand that quite well.

As far as reel, I'd get some $25 spinning reel. A cheap Pflueger or Shimano will be durable enough to last until they get it filled with sand.

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the same dilemma with my now 9 year old. Had a Zebco style set up but they always seem to have issues for me. Got him a spinning reel combo and glad I did, my only suggestion would be to get a good quality combo, in my experience if you or he is having issues with the reel/rod because its not of good quality that takes the fun out of fishing quickly.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just at Runnings in Bismarck and walked through the fishing section. They have 4' 6" rods made by 13 fishing for 30 bucks. I havent used any of 13 fishings open water stuff, but their ice fishing stuff seems to be good quality. My 8 year old daughter might end up with one before summer is over.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reach into the rod locker please --- if you drop it in the water - you will pay for it - now or later -- thank you. Any youngster can use whatever they want when i am the captain.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll second the spinning reel suggestions. I bought the zebco things thinking it would be easier and boy was I wrong. They'll tangle anything you give them and taking care of spinning gear is much easier than that closed face stuff. Have you tried to cast a 202? Ten minutes of that BS and you'll be shopping for golf clubs....Also, he wants to be like you anyway, so my 4 year old would pick up my good stuff when I wasn't watching and was able to cast pretty well. Go spinning early and don't look back!

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
4 1/2 ft ugly stick jr with a zebco 33 classic all my kids have used it it is now my son's he is 3 this pole is a brute in it's 6 yr life it's landed 4 20plus lb pike off shore along with many other close to it and hundreds of walleye perch bass from the boat Erin-VS-erin-heatherton-22804516-760-1024.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

163a663363e34fc9e7532351239c9445.jpg

Attachments

IMG_20170505_105532807.jpg IMG_20170523_123121021.jpg

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boy is 7 now but last summer I got him into the Scheels Trophy combo for about $50. We now have a couple of them. I like it because the combo doesn't break the bank and it is sensitive enough that he can actually feel fish. It has worked out well for us.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels spinning combo, lifetime warranty with no questions asked on the exchange. Kids went right from a snoopy rod to a decent spinning rod and we're taught to be careful, but accidents happen.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reach into the rod locker please --- if you drop it in the water - you will pay for it - now or later -- thank you. Any youngster can use whatever they want when i am the captain.

That was true for me as well once the kids turned 8'ish. I don't buy that expensive of stuff anyway, so it's all disposable. Nonetheless, their first Ugly Sticks are still with us. They just have better ones to choose from nowadays.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75