Adjusting Trigger Pull

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking I need to adjust the trigger pull on my Winchester Model 70 and wondering if anyone here has any tips? I googled it and there are some decent videos, but I want to make sure I do it correctly. I just ordered a trigger pull gauge off Amazon, so I'll start there. The thing that scares me is screwing it up and making the rifle unsafe. Thanks for any info/tips.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
buy timney or jewel or rifle basics or one of the good aftermarket triggers would be what i would do

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
both i think it easier to adjust those and you get a better quality trigger .

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After you put a new trigger assembly in or when you think you're finished with your adjustments do this. With the gun empty, take the safety off, cock it and point it straight up, and drop it on the butt pad on a hard surface from a foot or so. If the hammer drops it's too light and you need to readjust the trigger. I do this 5-10 times after I've adjusted a trigger and so far I've never had problems down the line.

While you're at t check the scope screws and mounts too.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
thats another place the after markets do better is making sure no slam fires with light trigger pulls

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yup they do a good job but it never hurst to check.

The two loudest sounds with guns are a click when you wanted to hear a bang and a bang when you expected a click.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a BACO M-70 the MOA trigger will only adjust down to ~3# without being re-sprung. They're also nearly idjut proof. If you have a New Haven USRAC M-70 with the original open trigger design it's a bit more involved and a balancing act between pull-weight, creep, and over-travel. The New Haven style is probably best left to someone who knows WTF they're doing. If you're working on the old-style and think you have a handle on it, make sure you do some significant slam-fire testing post-adjustment before you ever chamber a round.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76