Tell us about your planned fishing/hunting trips

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a busy fall planned. I am starting to get excited about it. Figured I would share how its getting laid out.

The first trip is to Lake of the Woods. We went last year and had a blast. We stayed at Zippel Bay Resort on the south end of the lake. The resort was awesome, and we caught like 25 eyes over 5 lbs and up to 8 lbs. The trip is 75% trolling lead and 600 series Reef Runners, and 25% jigging. We prob caught around 125 fish in 4 days.

The second trip is set for the end of October in Brown county SD. We stay in Aberdeen and have around 13 square miles of primo private land to hunt roosters. We do this trip with some awesome friends I met while working at 3M down there. Its a great time!

The third trip is down to Iowa the second week in November to try my hand at a hooved corn rat. I have a friend that guides south of DesMoines that I am hunting with. In 2011 he shot a 183, and two more over 170". I have told myself to hold out for a 160"+. Hopes are high!

The fourth and final trip is in January to "the big windy", Lake Winnipeg for another run at giant greenbacks! We have met some friends that are gonna let us stay with them while we are up there. Last year we got 8 eyes over 8 lbs and the biggest was just over 10! Hopefully I can break my 10 lb curse!

SO...what do you have planned for this fall, or next fall?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still need to get up to Winnipeg for some of those awesome greenbacks.

My big trip this year is gulf coast shark fishing from shore in September with my brother, angler/author Stephen Orndorf, and maybe Jason Hall (American Sniper). 1st priority is big sharks on the sand, 2nd priority is a sailfish from a kayak. That part of the gulf is very deep close to shore, so pelagic species like giant sharks, tuna, and sailfish come within just hundreds of yards from shore. The rest of our time will be occupied by fishing for reds, speckled trout, tarpon, rays, king mackerel, and so on... dozens of sharks over a thousand pounds have been landed from shore right out in front of our beach house we rent. Heres the Island we will be staying on for 8 days.
11282465_10206609966788927_1272227150_o.jpg

sharks we will be after include great hammerhead, black tip, dusky, spinner, tiger, bull, nurse, sharpnose, bonnet head, and sandbar. Most sharks will be measured tagged and released, we might keep a blacktip for the grill one night.

if we get time we might try for some alligator gar in a river about 10 miles away.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
wont know until GNF gets their drawing done sometime before november, 5 preference points will tell if i am going to spend 2 weeks hunting or just fishing the river.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
can I go with, MSA?

Ok, but youll have to rent the unit next door since all our beds are full, and you have to agree to being bait bitch, meaning you have to paddle all the baits out 400 to 600 yards in the dark. Imvtrying to get my brother to agree to that title if i give him the master bedroom. Paddling 600 yards out in the dark gives me the willies, but its gotta get done.

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planning on going to northwest angle if I have enough Paid time off gotta save time for the wedding this fall

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
whats the "northwest angle"?

Lake of the woods MN. To enter this area you must go through Canada, then back into the states.

Great fishing, wonderful scenery, and awesome Canadian beer

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, but youll have to rent the unit next door since all our beds are full, and you have to agree to being bait bitch, meaning you have to paddle all the baits out 400 to 600 yards in the dark. Imvtrying to get my brother to agree to that title if i give him the master bedroom. Paddling 600 yards out in the dark gives me the willies, but its gotta get done.

image.jpg

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hahahaha.....so thats a "no" Mike?

What if i throw in free drinks?

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, been busy mowing lawn and wrapping my wife's anniversary gift. By wrapping I mean, taping the box shut. I would be down for that. I've never been in a kayak so my first time might as well be in shark infested waters with bloody bait all over me. Seriously though. When you do this again, count me in. I'm heading to Florida next spring and will be bringing some fishing gear with.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, been busy mowing lawn and wrapping my wife's anniversary gift. By wrapping I mean, taping the box shut. I would be down for that. I've never been in a kayak so my first time might as well be in shark infested waters with bloody bait all over me. Seriously though. When you do this again, count me in. I'm heading to Florida next spring and will be bringing some fishing gear with.

this is why people get eaten

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wags loves sharks, and snakes, and spiders, and big hulking sneaking gators, and poison bugs.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pumped for this fall as I've got a bunch of stuff planned. First trip is to Colorado for elk. Drew a rifle tag for a good unit with my brother in law. We always have a great time together and it should be a ton of fun. Also have the MT deer/elk combo tag so I'll be spending quite a bit of time in MT in November. Also applied for an archery antelope tag in MT which I should draw. Throw in some walleyes on the river and bird hunting and it will be a great fall. Can't wait for it!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member

No BS, my first time fishing in florida was a hundred yards out, waist deep, with the bloody fish i caught in a draw string net bag tied to my shorts. the third bluefish i hooked was followed in by a 7 ft bull shark, when i lifted the bluefish out of the water he decided to go for the bag of fish tied to my waist. Luckily he couldnt turn that sharp before my buddy hooked up with a blue that drew the bulls attention and lured him away.

I have a video somwhere from 5 minutes after that event of my buddy laughing at me for the way i screamed.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as planned trips, my father in law and I are headed to Winnipeg next year. I will be asking plenty of questions for that trip so be prepared. Next fall were going to Alaska for salmon, halibut, and other random species. Soon, I would like to get my old man into Canada for a big walleye trip.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75