Crossbow Permit

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How disabled to you have to be to get one in North Dakota? I know it says you have to have lost use of one or both arms or unable to pull 35 pounds. I'm 55 and have a herniated disc in my neck (C5-C6) and arthritis in both shoulders. I've had cortisone steroid shots in my spine and both shoulders which haven't really done much. My doctor wants to fuse my neck but I'm kind of leery. I took the form from the Game and Fish to the Bone and Joint today and my doctor refused to sign it. Don't know what to do since I sold my compound bow last week.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to a different doctor. Why with your situation would he not sign off on it?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
why would he not sign it??

anti hunting liberal hippy doctor?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why did he refuse? He must have given a reason. Either way, i'm pretty sure you can find a doctor to sign it if you are telling the truth. I know people that have them that probably shouldn't.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had the same neck problem. Cortizone shots quit helping so went to Rapid city and had surgery about a year and a half ago. Best thing ever. No pain at all. I did, however wait too long and have some issues with left arm strength and tingling in the fingers in left hand due to some nerve damage. Local MD gave me a permit for a year to see how things went. Last checkup he signed it for indefinitely. Don't wait too long and most MD's worth their salt will sign for a wrecked neck.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure why he refused either. I've signed a couple of them, one for lifetime usage. As long as you had proper documentation, x-rays/mri/ct's to correspond with the complaint, you should be fine.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell, johnr got a permit due to his erectile dysfunction so I dont see why you cant get one for your bad back.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did he give you a reason? Did you just show up and ask or was it during a appointment? I know Dr's will only sign anything during a paid appointment. Some will avoid signing things at all cost to cover there ass. You may try going to your PCP. There usually a little easier to work with. If not I'd consider that him not caring about your well being and find a new Dr. Granted this is considering your not pulling a riverfiber.

- - - Updated - - -

instead of medical marijuana permits we are gonna be going to dirty for crossbow permits!! haha!!

Just made my appointment!

campcook

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doug, I'm betting the Dr you consulted lives on Fox Island and remembers your posts from 2011

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once while fishing fox island we saw a fox. Was fricken awesome

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Doug, I'm betting the Dr you consulted lives on Fox Island and remembers your posts from 2011

No that's my eye doctor who lives on Fox Island and he likes me.

- - - Updated - - -

Had the same neck problem. Cortizone shots quit helping so went to Rapid city and had surgery about a year and a half ago. Best thing ever. No pain at all. I did, however wait too long and have some issues with left arm strength and tingling in the fingers in left hand due to some nerve damage. Local MD gave me a permit for a year to see how things went. Last checkup he signed it for indefinitely. Don't wait too long and most MD's worth their salt will sign for a wrecked neck.

Have pain in my left shoulder. According to my MRI, my right side should be the one that's hurting. After I had my last spinal injection the pain in my left shoulder went away for a couple of weeks but came back. Thing is, I shoot with my right arm but can't hold my bow up with my left. A crossbow probably wouldn't help unless I use a monopod in my tree stand.

- - - Updated - - -

And it was Southport not Fox Island.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dray, before the surgery, I had a hard time holding a beer or lifting a coffee cup with the left arm. Don't wait so long that you get debilitating permanent damage. Doc says I lost 15% strength in the left arm and numbness/tingling in fingers is here to stay. Having said that, I do very well holding a crossbow or rifle.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got a crossbow permit here in AZ. All I needed was a note from the Doc and I was good to go.

My reason for one was 3 surgeries on my right elbow, a right shoulder separation with 2 failed surgeries and neck and back problems from 2 helo crashes and a plane crash along with a bunch of jumps with wayyyyyyy too much weight along for the ride.

I've had it 4 years so I guess I should buy a crossbow now. Anyone got a suggestion for buying one?

crashboombang

I agree with the different Doc route. Not to sure why any Doctor would not play it safe; and give you a permit. Son's friend got one when he sustained a short term sports injury. He was back to good condition in a few months. The permit was great, he didn't have to miss bowhunting with his buddies that fall.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ended up buying another compound bow. A lot less poundage. I'm going to continue with the physical therapy and getting the injections in my neck every six months. Maybe I can build up the strength in my shoulders in time for bow season.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70