Black hills trout

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to try to catch some trout this weekend what flies should I be looking to use. I am just using a clear bobber with the spinning rod. Thanks

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Green stemmed yellow belly M-80's are exceptional "flies". Plus for some reason, it causes other fishermen to gravitate away from you. It's like an anti-pirate fly.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hoppers should be starting soon. If not, there should be ants and beetles around. I'd go with a big attractor dry like a chernobyl ant, Stimulator, or a Hippie Stomper with a nymph on the dropper. Copper johns, zebra midges, pheasant tails, and san juans should work. Guys on Rapid are saying its pretty much an early and late bite only right now

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spinning rod? best bet is a pocket full of worms unless they have "no live bait" streams in certain areas,w/o checking the bug hatch this time of year out there a good stand by artifical fly would be a #12-14 cadis,and also a bumble bee fly (black/yellow) grass hopper's are good as well.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going by strap the pack on and explore. Giving the elk gear a once over will be spiking out one night

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hoppers should be starting soon. If not, there should be ants and beetles around. I'd go with a big attractor dry like a chernobyl ant, Stimulator, or a Hippie Stomper with a nymph on the dropper. Copper johns, zebra midges, pheasant tails, and san juans should work. Guys on Rapid are saying its pretty much an early and late bite only right now

1) I know you know what you're doing. I jest...
2) This has to be a joke. those names have to be made up. I can see it now. I go to the fly shop, and ask for a hippie stomper. The guy directs me through a door in the back, and I find myself out in the parking lot, surrounded by 4 guys with 5 teeth between them. Dixie Flag tattoos and steel-toed boots with the metal showing. "I don't like them jorts son..."

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spinning rod, clear bobber, and night crawlers.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
1) I know you know what you're doing. I jest...
2) This has to be a joke. those names have to be made up. I can see it now. I go to the fly shop, and ask for a hippie stomper. The guy directs me through a door in the back, and I find myself out in the parking lot, surrounded by 4 guys with 5 teeth between them. Dixie Flag tattoos and steel-toed boots with the metal showing. "I don't like them jorts son..."
Busted. Was hoping to video their reaction and the subsequent beat down

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe an egg sucking leech or green butt skunk would be effective. (Those are real flies, look at a list of flies in an on-line fly shop list.)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We tried it all the trout won got nothing. The rock bass kept the kids interested though

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
We tried it all the trout won got nothing. The rock bass kept the kids interested though
Clearly you weren't wearing enough Patagonia/Simms clothing. A minimum of 3 articles are required to catch trout, I personally wear at least 5 to be sure.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hahaha,well that sucks...no trout eh? Maybe you were fishin in one the streams they poisened out because of whirling diease? Dry and hot? low water level?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clearly you weren't wearing enough Patagonia/Simms clothing. A minimum of 3 articles are required to catch trout, I personally wear at least 5 to be sure.

i had prana zions and sitka gear and first lite on so i should have been good in the high end cloths route.

Hahaha,well that sucks...no trout eh? Maybe you were fishin in one the streams they poisened out because of whirling diease? Dry and hot? low water level?

it was hot but we saw a lot of the little bastards and they would not bite. we fished the stream on the mickelson trail, spear fish canyon and streams around deer field and deer field its self. The rock bass made the boys happy and after 10 plus hours of fishing it wore them out so i had a nice relaxing night when they went to bed early

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spearfish has notoriously well-educated trout. Many years ago, I watched locals fishing in a city park near a state hatchery and the fishing was much easier there. Certainly not a scenic, though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76