Best archery target?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for a new target, which one is the best deal out there? Looking for ease of arrow removal, long lasting, price. Not looking for a deer body target just a block type target for target arrows. I have a 3D deer target I use for broadheads.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I haven't shot a bag target in years so maybe they are better now, but I never seemed to have good luck with them. The arrows always seemed to be tough to pull out, or get stuck on the stuffing inside.
For right around 100$, I would say the best target is the block fusion, 4 sided shooting and really easy arrow removal. My wife and I have been shooting one for 5 years now and just this year I am getting passthroughs. Only in the middle areas though, the sides perimeters still stop arrows like new. We have shot a lot of BHs into this thing and for it to last 5 years, we are impressed. I think if we only shot FPs and kept it inside, the target would last 10 years easy.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a classic block and it works great for about $50. Also if you want WAY easier arrow removal pay the extra money for a smaller diameter arrow. I have the Easton Full Metal Jacket 5mm and they are a breeze to pull compared to regular carbon shafts.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not trying to be a smartazz, but I've found the best target is the one I get at the garage sale for 5 bucks and shoot'em till they fall apart. The layered targets all seem about the same to me with my setup. I'd rather spend the cash on arrows than on the target, but that's just me. If I run out of target, a square hay bale has always worked for me.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bag targets will definitely last longer and have easier arrow pull than layered or foam targets. It's tough to find one target that will do it all. Layered targets like Block and Glendel will be easier to pull arrows but won't last as long. Foam targets like Rinehart will last longer but have tougher arrow pulls. For field points only I would go with a bag. You could also make your own. A buddy of mine made one similar to this using old clothes to stuff it with and it works great.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3726042

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to make my own targets out of the blue or pink high density styro foam but the arrows have become a bitch to remove. I'm getting sick of tweaking my back pulling arrows! Might have to try the clothes box setup.

They know what they want for these newer targets.:eek:

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I get the cheap block targets at Dicks for 30 bucks and use them to sight in my broadheads. It chews them up so at least I'm not out of a lot of dough.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ended up stuffing a card board box with old clothes and rags and it works like a charm. Stops the arrows quick and you can pull them out with 2 fingers! Best part is it cost me nothing!

Buckmaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bulldog targets.Lifetime warranty. you can only shoot field points at it. I have had mine for 5 years and just turned in a warranty claim to get a new cover. Still stops 305 fps arrows just not much left of the spots. Arrow removal is easy. Kids shoot and they pull out easy. Its a bag target hybrid. Cant say enough good about them. http://www.bulldogtargets.com/

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
i use a block and bag target. Block target is for broadheads. Each year I have to pull the tie strap another click so my arrows down blow through it. But, its served me well for many years and many broadheads. My bag target has held up incredibly well too but I don't shoot nearly as many arrows anymore.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a Black Hole target for a few years that worked great. Just bought another Black Hole that is the smaller size and my arrows are blowing through it. (stops at 20, but goes through at 30 yds)Anyone have issues with that on a similar layered target? Dirty, does the ratchet strap work well for this issue? Called the company and I could submit a warranty claim, but the target seems to be pressed plenty firm and I doubt I would get much better performance from a new one and I would be out shipping. Just looking for ideas. I was interested in the Rhineharts, but the arrow removal on the ones I have shot sucked.

- - - Updated - - -

i use a block and bag target. Block target is for broadheads. Each year I have to pull the tie strap another click so my arrows down blow through it. But, its served me well for many years and many broadheads. My bag target has held up incredibly well too but I don't shoot nearly as many arrows anymore.

Did it come with a strap or was that some Dirty ingenuity? Having blow through issues with a new layered target...Does that work well for you?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rhineharts, but the arrow removal on the ones I have shot sucked.
Same for me. Roll it on its back, put a foot on it and pull with both hands. The Block works well for me. I got the Reinhart out of the lawnshed the other day and after cooking in there for four years the arrows pull easier.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a Black Hole target for a few years that worked great. Just bought another Black Hole that is the smaller size and my arrows are blowing through it. (stops at 20, but goes through at 30 yds)Anyone have issues with that on a similar layered target? Dirty, does the ratchet strap work well for this issue? Called the company and I could submit a warranty claim, but the target seems to be pressed plenty firm and I doubt I would get much better performance from a new one and I would be out shipping. Just looking for ideas. I was interested in the Rhineharts, but the arrow removal on the ones I have shot sucked.

- - - Updated - - -

Did it come with a strap or was that some Dirty ingenuity? Having blow through issues with a new layered target...Does that work well for you?

That is a dirtymike add on. Figured if I compressed the layers it would stop arrows. I was actually right but my wife would argue otherwise.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75