What's your sonar setup?

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious what everyone has as far as their graph setup on their boat and what views they use? Do you have 1 graph or two? How do you split your screens between traditional sonar, downscan, sidescan, mapping, etc.?

I had a 7" Lowrance and then bought a 12" Helix. I had originally thought I'd use both and use the 7" for straight sonar and the 12" split for mapping and sidescan. I found out though that it gets to be too damn much to look at all the time and I would only look at the sonar and mapping. Once in awhile, I would glance over at the sidescan but that seemed to be pretty infrequent. Now I'm thinking about selling the 7" and just go with 1 unit. I can see where if a guy was trolling cranks on some big flats that it could be useful to have all that going but when you're livebaiting on structure, it just seems like too much.

Again, just curious if you guys are running 1 graph or 2 and how you have your screens split up with the views. I just about always fish 2 rods and so it seems like it is just too much going on to try and fish with 2 rods, running the boat and looking at 2 graphs.

And please don't turn this into a pissing match on which brand is the best!

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I stick my nephew's head underwater and ask him what he sees.... real time information is the best!

;:;popcorn

- - - Updated - - -

I have one 7" Helix on the bow and one 9" Helix on the console and they are now networked with DI/SI. When on the prowl/search I use SI/sonar to see what's going on below. Then, I primarily use sonar/map split while fishing.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a single Helix 9, and most of the time i have it set on sonar & mapping. Sometimes I'll switch to side imaging if i'm trolling cranks out wide, or i use contour mode to look for structure to the sides. I haven't really found down imaging that useful, but then i'm not fishing tight on specific structure either.

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a Garmin 93sv. On the big water it is gps on half and the other half is split between he down and traditional. If I a pitching on the river I use side imaging to look for them and mark where to pitch towards.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I run 4 graphs. 3 on the dash and one up front.

Elite 9 on dash for sonar/ds. Elite 7 for navionics mapping on dash. Helix on dash for running lakemaster chip mapping. Elite 7 up front for sonar and navionics mapping. The wife wants one on the back of the boat, so I may switch everything out for HDS models in the off-season, but keep the helix for lakemaster mapping. I will be either adding a sidescan unit on the dash, or getting an hds12, and splitting sonar/ds/structure scan on it.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lowrance Elite 5 on the bow...Lowrance Hook 5 Chirp at the console. While fishing, I'm usually sitting up front running the trolling motor so I keep the Elite on a split with sonar/downscan...when moving with the big motor usually just have the Hook with the map on at the console.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I enjoy two graphs. One usually always a dedicated map and the other jumps from 2d sonar or side/down imaging.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lowrance and hummingbird right in front of me. Usually have both on napping due to their differences and one half is sonar. I'd like a helix 12 to replace the 898 but, bills.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my walleye boat I have 3. I have an old 2d in the console and have everything wired up for a HB 898. Normally I sit in the bow and live bait so I have the 898 up there in split screen then hook a Helix 5 to the trolling motor. This gives me views of both ends of the boat. Now for 2018 the said 2d will be removed and the 898 will be installed permanently there. Up front I am planning to add a Helix 7 G2N and still run the Helix 5.

For my cat boat I run a Helix 10 G2N in the Center console. It runs the mapping and SI that I use every day.

buzzard01

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lowrance 7" gen3 on bow...Lowrance 9" gen3 on console...Running the Lowrance structure scan 3d transducer..Both network together and a Motorguide XI5 tied to both fishfinders. Really like the setup.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 4 graphs. 3 on the dash and one up front.

Elite 9 on dash for sonar/ds. Elite 7 for navionics mapping on dash. Helix on dash for running lakemaster chip mapping. Elite 7 up front for sonar and navionics mapping. The wife wants one on the back of the boat, so I may switch everything out for HDS models in the off-season, but keep the helix for lakemaster mapping. I will be either adding a sidescan unit on the dash, or getting an hds12, and splitting sonar/ds/structure scan on it.

jeeesusssss...

what kind of ballast and generator you running on that thing???

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 10 ft fishing rod. In the fishing boat I can measure up to 12 ft of water, but on the Toon it's only about 8 ft.

Jesus H. Christ, you guys are nuts!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't get me wrong...I love electronics, but how cool would it be to fish a new lake in a jon boat without any electronics! If you found fish and got on 'em imagine the satisfaction!

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the latest and greatest graphs. They are amazing. Still caught a lot of fish with a humminbird super-sixty back when. Could find a lot of good structure etc using the 4 sets of Sakakawea maps I still have. I'm sure there's a few other geezers on here that can relate

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get me wrong...I love electronics, but how cool would it be to fish a new lake in a jon boat without any electronics! If you found fish and got on 'em imagine the satisfaction!

With limited fishing time, it all becomes a game of efficiency. I like to go early in the morning now days and be back to the family by early afternoon with the fish cleaned.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
V, should be easy to pick out in a crowd of boats, as he is the one with his seats all the way up, so he can see where he's going. ;:;rofl Sitting in his boat, would be like sitting in a bar with 20 to 50 TVs in it, trying to decide which one to watch. ;:;boozer

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
FML I feel like I novice.... I can never fish with any of you because I will end up bankrupt.... someday, when the kids are gone, or I hit the lotto....

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
my sonar setup - console: onix 10 (all bells and whistles) and a lowrance elite 5 (if a fish shows up on it I know it is big)
Bow: onix 8 (plain jane)
transducers: HB 360 side imaging, HB side imaging with chirp and down imaging, and the lowrance 2d glassed into the boat

the ways I use my imaging are different for different situations.

First, if I am in search mode and either have not been fishing in a couple weeks or new body of water or just exploring, I will use my side imaging across the top of my screen and my map and 2d on the bottom left and right.

Second way I use it is vertical jigging and then I am either in the bow or at the console and I will use 360 on the whole left pane and a map and 2D usually but sometimes 2d and DI stacked on the right

Trolling I have a few different setups, first is usually left pane or top pane is the map (depends on how the shore line orients to the boat so I can see maximum mappage) then I will run 2d and DI in the 2 small panes. that is my preference 99% of the time but there are times when I will be searching at the same time as trolling and I will use either side imaging or 360, I lean tward the 360 more because I can see a fish up ahead of the boat and slide over and catch it.

things to note: side imaging is harder to read the farther out you spread it from the boat (this is where a 60" tv would be handy) also side imaging sucks in 0-8fow. 360 really shines when vertical jigging with spot lock, but it also does well shallow and you can use it for side imaging in that 2-8fow range. I don't normally use side imaging or 360 deeper than 25 fow because it seems to get harder for me to read it.

as for if I was going to redo my electronics from scratch again, I would probably run my onix 8 with the 360 ducer and 2d ducer glassed in and hook it to the trolling motor so I could still use spot lock and the mapping, then I would run 2 lowrance HDS carbon units for the better side imaging and down imaging

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75