Ideal sidescan conditions?

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I just got a new Helix with sidescan and have been playing around with it. Seems though that when I'm over a hard bottom, it is damn tough so see fish and the shadows give away the fish more than the actual fish. For guys that have used sidescan a lot, what would you say are the best and also worst types of structure to actually see the fish? I would think a big mudflat would be the best to see fish and a rocky, steep break would be the toughest???? I would assume fish show up nicely on shallow sandbars on the river?

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sand or mud is by far the easiest. Rocks can be tough, especially when they're also on a break line. Honestly though it just takes a lot of time time getting use to them. Shadows do help identify the difference in fish and rocks.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shadows are what you want to look for when trying to see fish. I got a few videos from the technological angler that where good. Cheep expense for what all other fishing gear cost, just to learn how to use stuff correctly

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
sidescan does not work well under 8fow from what i have seen... it is best suited in that 10-25 fow range

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
sidescan does not work well under 8fow from what i have seen... it is best suited in that 10-25 fow range

I tend to disagree with this. I have used it in smaller creeks by hugging one side and scanning off to the other in as shallow as 3-4 feet and were able to see big pike and packs of suckers quite well.

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the Humminbird higher frequency side imaging shows substantially less than 180 degrees vertical coverage as compared to the lower frequency, the lower frequency may be better for shallow water coverage especially closer to the boat... At least for the older Humminbird units anyway, don't know about other brands. Youtube Video:
[h=1]Tips 'N Tricks 124: Super Tuning Side Imaging Made Easy[/h]

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screen size can be a big factor. Subtle images are a lot easier to pick out on a 12" screen vs a 5".

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75