Not concentric

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a question for you guys that reload the 6.5 Creedmoor. Have you noticed a change in the Hornady brass?
The first brass I bought two years ago showed annealing, but the newer brass does not. I had gone from under .2 inches to .5 inches with my rifle. I called Hornady and they said people like shinny brass so they polish after annealing now.
I had miced the neck of my first brass and it was excellent with a consistent .014 all the way around. I miced the new brass and they range from .0125 to .0155 on the same piece of brass. I had the Hornady concentric gauge which said I was under .005 runout. So I started wondering about the back end of those cases in the Hornady concentric gauge. A couple weeks ago I purchased a RCBS Case Master. It says I range from .002 to .011 runout. My 308 ranges from .008 to .018. So I sized a case and checked for neck runout. Yup, .002 to .009. So I checked a fired case, and that was .000 to .001. Then I turned a neck. That didn't help because the neck was already off center.
It looks like I will have to fire all my cases, then turn before I size. So after that I will use the new dies I got two days ago. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/707090/rcbs-gold-medal-match-series-bushing-2-die-set-65-creedmoor
If this works out I think I will retire my Redding 308 dies and purchase another set of the RCBS Gold Medal Match.
Oh, I pulled the bullet on a factory Hornady precision hunter round. .013 all the way around. It's like they have better brass for themselves. Not sure.
If you wouldn't mind would a couple of you give me the neck diameter of your loaded rounds. I noticed when I pulled my bullets on the rounds that miced more than .005 out of concentricity that I had to pound four hard strokes with the centrifugal bullet puller. I tried a factory and two whacks brought the bullet out.
I noticed their neck size of a loaded round was .0015 smaller than my loaded rounds. I ordered a .287, .288, and .289 bushing for sizing the neck. Only got the .289 so far and I think it's a little loose. They said order one size smaller and one size larger than your target size.
My loaded necks were .291 while the Hornady were .2895. What's your 6.5 Creedmoor neck size?

Edit: The Hornady factory 143 ELD-X shoots just like my old groups at under .2 inches. So happy my rifle is ok, but I need to solve my reloading problem. Perhaps that's going to require a different brand of brass.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh come on, no one shoots or reloads for a 6.5 Creedmoor? Hey Kurt I sent you my over all length now send me your neck diameter --- please.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
All my brass was bought two years ago and i will measure some stuff i have loaded up. All i have now are the 143 eldx and maybe a few 140 amax i will check them out tonight

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Kurt. Diameter of loaded 143 ELD-X would be perfect. I have 900 bullets and I am afraid I am going to have to just shoot up 400 more that are already loaded or wear out the bullet puller.
I took some empty sized brass that were .008 out of line. I run them through that new RCBS Gold Medal Match, and that brought them down to .002 out of line. MY target diameter is .288 so I also purchased .287 and .289. So far I have only got the .289 and Midway looks like they have discontinued the .287.

I sure wish I had bought more brass a few years ago. I only purchased 300 rounds back when I rebarreled my Savage 22-250 to Creedmoor.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Creedmoor became popular, so I suppose the stamping dies that form the brass are getting worn. It's kind of like 22-250 usually being less accurate than the less popular 220 Swift.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG952773.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Kurt. I had a backorder at Midway, but they stopped having the .287. I hate to pay 50% more for Reddding. Anyway, I'll need a .287 because to cure my problem I will have to use a Lee Collet die. All other dies make the neck offset if one side of the brass is .015 and the other side is .012 inch. Anyway, the Lee Collet die centers the inside of the neck which will then let me neck turn and shave off the high (thick) side and not touch the low (thin side). So I guess it's not bad to pay the $50 if it keeps me from using 400 ELD-X already loaded. Pull the bullets and collet size, turn, re-neck size with smaller bushing, then reload.

Your a lot tighter than I am. Mine run .291 and .2915. Your necks must be thin. Do you get early neck splitting them from overworking?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have about 4 loads on some of the brass going to send it off to get annealed never had any cracked necks yet

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Time I don't have enough hours in the day. Kid and work and all other things

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I have been spoiled with Black Hills Match brass. I load it many times with no problem. Now I have discovered two problems with my Hornady Creedmoor brass. One it's not concentric. Most dies center the exterior of the neck. The only dies I know that center the bore of the brass are the Lee Collet Dies. So I now have two more sets of those in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. First punch the primers and center the neck with the Lee, then turn the neck, then resize with the RCBS Neck Bushing die at .289 inches. Good to go.

Kurt mentioned he was annealing. My bullets were seating so tough the other day they left a dent in the ogive of ELD-X bullets. Neck tension was the problem and that can be solved two ways. A neck bushing die or annealing. I chose to do both since necks turn easy of annealing. Kurt mentioned time involved and he is right so I changed my technique today. Faster and better annealing was my goal.

Everyone has a couple of those old Maglight AA flashlights laying around. Cut off the back so when you drop a case in it it will expose the portion of the case you want to heat, and protect a portion that you don't want to heat. Drill a hole in the back and drive in a screw. Then cut the screw head off so you can chuck it up in a cordless drill. This lets you rotate the brass in the flame until desired temperature is met then drop into cold water. Small diameter or thin necks require seven seconds while thick necks like Federal require 10 seconds. Don't expect a deep color change unless you use the chemical indicator.

Remember lightly annealed is better than to much. Heat it to much and you soften the brass to far towards the base which can turn your favorite rifle into a hand grenade. Pics to follow.20170729_100318.jpg20170729_133256_001.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67