New waterfowl ammo~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunting season is closing in and with it right around the corner comes new stuff,I'm told hevi shot has a new load priced to compete with other high-end brands price wise but has tungsen technolgy incorperated in the pellets which puts this load inbetween hevi metal and the real deal hevi shot which few can afford these days.

Hevi-x comes in 25rd box as well.

No rebates this year,choice of a blind bag or hevi choke tube with purchase.

Steel shot has come a long way these days,way better than 20 years ago but I'm all about down range energy and clean kill shots whether in the dekes or flaring/decoy shy late season birds.Hevi metal has done me well over the years,we'll check out this new kid if and when it comes out.

FYI

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
blue box federals and a pattern-master work just fine for me

ditto,

except they work more than fine for me...does that make me a better shot than you!?!? haha :;: is it Friday yet

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blue Box Federals and Patternmaster choke. Have we just become best friends???

I'm sworn off buying any more shotgun shells until I finish up my hoard. Every year I buy another few boxes, and by the end of every season I still have a few boxes left. I either need to miss more or hunt more! Hopefully this fall it's the latter...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
$9.99 Federal blue box 3" BB's are for me. Put 68 honkers and a bunch of ducks on the ground for me last year so I'll be sticking with what works. I'd rather shoot 3 times for $1.20 than once for $1.50.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Show me your ways

$9.99 Federal blue box 3" BB's are for me. Put 68 honkers and a bunch of ducks on the ground for me last year so I'll be sticking with what works. I'd rather shoot 3 times for $1.20 than once for $1.50.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
FishSticks, I hunt on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for the most part. That's my "Way". LOL!!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just found out I have a lot of vacation to burn up before I loose it.
I think I know what KDM thinks about that

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
1 3/8oz of lead #2's is still gooderest than all the above wizard ammo.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't hunt waterfowl anymore, but when I did I always thought you should be able to used lead when you are field hunting(decoys). I watched a lot of cripples fly/glide away with steel back in the day. It was sad.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the weekend I watched a couple outdoor shows,one that stands out was a canada hunt with Zink,he does a great job on details from scouting to decoy spreads,however these guyz had birds feet down and I would say they had about 10% kill shots,retriever was out chasing cripples after every volley,show sponsers are browning and winchester ammo among others,looked like they were shooting "blindside",either these guys need to get to a skeet range or dump that ammo.

Which brings us back to Hevi Shot ammo.

Break down of the different loads per hevi shot~

what’s new for 2017.
First of all our engineers have come up with the new HEVI-X loads. HEVI-X will only be surpassed by our HEVI-Shot Duck and Goose and Turkey loads in downrange kinetic energy and will be much more affordable. Completely different pellet process than the cast HEVI-Shot products. HEVI-X starts in a tungsten powder form and each pellet is compressed. HEVI-X weighs just under lead and is packed in 25 round boxes.

Our line now has average, good, better, best assortment

HEVI-Steel (average steel shot, we have a better propellant)

HEVI-Metal (the good)

HEVI-X (the better)

HEVI-Shot (the best)

Sounds like the same process as Bismuth only kent uses "tin" with they're bismuth loads pellet building,hevi uses tungsen.

Further the pellet weight of hevi-x is just under lead@ 9cc...lead is 10cc,the weght is what makes kill shots beyond 50yds if shooter is on target w/o using scatter loads like BBB or T shot and crippling more birds than dropping'em dead.I sure like hevi metal but will check out this load when it comes out

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few industry friends of mine were some of the first guys to hunt Blindside. He said the cripple rate was unreal. But hey, it's "scientific-y" on the box, and "x% more per shell" sure looks good to Joe Blow Hunter/Consumer.

Winchester had to come up with something to compete with Black Cloud, and Blindside was it...apparently.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya. not a fan of BS either. i just don't think they pattern well or something. mind you, i've never actually patterned them. but, when you shoot as many ducks as us in the field from 40 yards and in, you start to notice a trend. the BS trend is not so good. might as well just shoot the blue box.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just because I'm too lazy to do much research on my own, how does the speed of the HEVI-shot loads compare with steel? I've gotten so used to shooting steel shot for the past 15-20 years at 1500-1600fps I think it would be hard to adjust back to a slower load. I know a few years ago I tried shooting lead out pheasant hunting and saw my shooting % drop considerably. I rarely shoot anything other than #2 steel for all types of game and it seems to work well for me but would be interested in trying something with a little more range/knock down if it's speed is close to steel.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
More pellets on target is what hevi metal is all about BS can't compete,hevi metal is a duplex load as we called it years ago shooting lead,super good kill load of #2's,#4;s and sometimes #6's in each shell.

Hevi metal for example in #2's is 50% steel #2's and 50% #4 in hevi shot,the smaller diameter pellets gives each shot shell 20% more pellets in each shot shell which puts more pellets on target and more lethal kills not cripples.This pic will show ya what I mean.Only hevi metal does not use copper claddiong on the steel shot but you can see the different pellet sizes.

close up.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89