Recent Report Posts

1. Van Hook 7/31

First time fishing Van Hook this year and it went so-so. We hit the water at 6:10am and we’re drowning worms on the south side of Shell Island by 6:30. There wasn’t a single boat out there besides us which was kind of odd, but like I said, this was my first time at Van Hook this year so maybe something has changed from years past.
    We marked a ton of fish between 18’-20’ and not a single taker pulling smile blades, props, or Montana rigs. Decided to throw jigging raps on our way back and hardly saw a mark the whole run.
    By then the boats were stacking up on the west side from Pouch ...
    Categories
    Lake Sakakawea
  2. New Town

Fished a little south, points along channel yesterday evening. 15 to 20', crawlers, blade color did not seem to matter. 15 -18" and did not have to weed through many little ones. Slow but steady bite
    Categories
    Lake Sakakawea
  3. Red River 7-28-21

I wish one week I could write this report and say something like “WOW” we got rain or this is happening. The low water continues to get lower with Grand Forks 430 cfs and Drayton just over 500 cfs. (The lowest I have ever fished at Grand Forks is 1,200 prior to this year.)

All in all, the fishing for the past few days has been really bad. Finding active fish is difficult with no current as there is just nothing to hold them. The way we fish up here from shore or anchored you are just hoping to put bait near a fish. There is also no way to make a scent trail from the bait. The key ...
    Categories
    Red River
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Images  
  4. The Hook

Yea Yea I know catching walleye in Van Hook is so easy that if you can't do it you should probably sell your gear.... Oh well, here's a report...

Fished last Friday and Saturday. Saturday was the Warriors On The Water event.

We found our fish anywhere from about 13' to 30'. Bigger fish came further south with crawlers being the most productive.

Friday we kept 7 between 16 and 20" with one throwback at 26" before we had to get off the water for prior engagements.
    Saturday we kept our 15 and threw back quite a few smaller ones. The ...
  5. Van Hook or Devils

Planning a trip up to ND next weekend looking for any reports from Devils or Van Hook Thanks
  6. Red River 7-21-21

The low water woes continue and appear to have no end in sight. Fargo is down to 133 cfs, Grand Forks 629 cfs and Drayton 746 cfs. (The lowest I have ever fished at Grand Forks is 1,200 prior to this year.) This pretty much limits us with normal boats to fishing above the dams that still have deeper pools. Jet boats, kayaks and shore fishing can have pretty much private fishing below the dams now. These shallow areas should have pinch points making current and have great fish nearby.

The key right now is to find current of any kind. If you find current you find fish. Once you find ...
    Categories
    Red River
  7. Pouch point

Went out this morning with my brother and our kids we pulled flicker minnows in 20 ft caught 25 nice 16-20 inch walleye in just under 4 hrs great morning.
    Categories
    Lake Sakakawea
  8. Van Hook, 7/8 and 7/10

I fished out of the Hook on Th and Saturday. Did decent both days, on Th it was just my stepdad and I. We fished the northwest area from the RR trestle over to Littlefield's bay. Nothing big, and certainly not fast and furious but we put a limit in the well of 14-16" fish using crawlers and leeches on spinners in 18+ ft of water.

On Saturday we also had my brother-in-law with and we zipped all the way down to Shell to start the morning. Stepdad really was on his game to start the morning with a FAT 30" walleye. Ended up having to keep her as she just wasn't gong to survive. ...

Updated 07-12-2021 at 12:43 AM by Allen

Tags: van hook Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Lake Sakakawea
  9. VanHook is still HOT!

We have been fishing the south end of the Hook, and it has been going pretty well. We went out Friday evening and found our fish in 18-23 fow. On Saturday, Micah (my daughter) and I went out around 8:00 pm. The fish had slipped out a little deeper. This time we found them in 25-27 fow. It was honestly one of my favorite fishing trups, because Micah caught her 5 in about an hour. I was still at 3! It took me another 30 minutes to get my last two, and she let me know it. Haha. I was pretty dang proud of her, and I think it was one of those trips that may contribute to her being a lifetime fishing ...
    Categories
    Lake Sakakawea
  10. Drayton Dam Conditions 7-11-21

Fished at the Drayton Dam yesterday. Here are some photos taken from the bottom of the ramp. It is getting pretty nasty up there. It is fishable but be very careful. I know my way around and its getting scary. There are many long stretches that are 2-3' and small areas of 1-2' in between. Until we get rain I won't be fishing below Drayton Dam after this week.
    Categories
    Red River
  11. Hook

Did well on north end yesterday, 2 limits on crawlers, anywhere from 12 to 25. Did better on humps than flats.

Pink and purple blades better than plain hook, had a couple around 23" and rest where 14 to 18ish
    Categories
    Lake Sakakawea
  12. Shell Village

A neighbor told me he's been hammering big fish on shell village for a couple weeks now. I have never been there and was seeing if anyone knew how a guy would target that big of a piece of structure?
    Categories
    Lake Sakakawea
Page 1 of 185 1231151101 ... LastLast

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube