WOpp

Lake Trout

Rate this Entry

0 Not allowed!
Does anyone go after lake trout on sakakawea??
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Lake Sakakawea

Comments

I would be very interested in hearing from someone who does. I had an absolute blast about 5 years ago catching lakers in Ontario. Not sure when they were last stocked, but the record was caught about 10 years ago. As far as I know, they never really took due to lack of quality forage and they are few and far between (to say the least). I like to think theres still a few out there, but i also like to think there's still a school of stripers lurking devils lake so maybe I'm a wishful thinker.

0 Not allowed!
    10 years or so ago I caught a 12in laker in the race. There's something going on with them. At least there was. They hadn't been stocked in years which had me hopeful for natural reproduction.

0 Not allowed!
    I don’t believe there are sufficient numbers to target lake trout in Sak. I read that they stopped stocking them years ago in Sak. ( I mainly fish for salmon and have never caught one.) Be awesome if they did naturally reproduce. But then again the walleye guys might complain that they eat the walleye fingerlings and they would no longer be able to catch 5 man limits in 30 minutes.... lol

1 Not allowed!
    I was told that Fort Peck, MT has Lake Trout, if u don't mind traveling a bit. I've never been there so I can't say for sure unfortunately, but it is on my list of fishing destinations one day!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccbartuska
    I was told that Fort Peck, MT has Lake Trout, if u don't mind traveling a bit. I've never been there so I can't say for sure unfortunately, but it is on my list of fishing destinations one day!
    Go on YouTube typr in jason Mitchell ft peck he has a awesome lake trout episode on ft peck late season pulling cranks

1 Not allowed!
    I saw one caught on a tip up near tobacco garden 30 years ago and haven't heard of any since on the west end. Caught a nice rainbow on the ND side of the Yellowstone a couple years back, doubt I'll ever pull that off again.

0 Not allowed!
    It would be awesome if the hatchery creek flow was increased, etc to facilitate viable spawning.

0 Not allowed!
    I caught a laker in the tailrace about 8 yrs ago. CPR.

0 Not allowed!
    I like challenges and all, but targeting Lakers on Sakakawea is probably out of my skill set.

2 Not allowed!
    Note, I'd bet that the majority of Lakers in Sak today are there as escapees from Fort Peck as opposed to natural reproduction.

0 Not allowed!
    Ft Peck has some great trout fishing been there twice this summer and a limit is fairly easy to come by. We only had one good day of jig bites so trolling was our go to. Run your down rigger in the mud and use any bright colored spoon about 12ft in back of it. Lakers lay on the bottom and are very territorial when the ball stirs them up they attack. June they were in 70 to 90ft and in Aug they had moved out to around the 130 mark. If you get into them keep the cheeks they are very tasty. In Oct they move into shallower water along the dam for spawning and can be caught from shore.

1 Not allowed!
    How early in October do they move up to the dam? Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JayKay
    I caught a laker in the tailrace about 8 yrs ago. CPR.
    Any size to it?

0 Not allowed!
    Updated 09-08-2020 at 08:46 PM by Mr. Stevenson
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen
    Note, I'd bet that the majority of Lakers in Sak today are there as escapees from Fort Peck as opposed to natural reproduction.
    While I find your hypothesis quite logical I'm astounded by the odds of a 12in trout making it into the 'race from Ft Peck. Plus, I think it damn neat to ponder a small population eking out an existence. And that's all that matters damnit.

1 Not allowed!
    Sakakawea gets just a bit too warm for lakers, they don't last long enough to grow and attain catchable numbers. The ones caught are washed down from peck during high water years.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSA
    Sakakawea gets just a bit too warm for lakers, they don't last long enough to grow and attain catchable numbers. The ones caught are washed down from peck during high water years.
    Does the 'race stay cool enough?

0 Not allowed!
    No, when sakakawea turns over the race runs over 60 degrees sometimes and 60 is kinda the limit for lake trout.

1 Not allowed!

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube