Captainbrad

Red River 7-21-21

Rate this Entry

10 Not allowed!
The low water woes continue and appear to have no end in sight. Fargo is down to 133 cfs, Grand Forks 629 cfs and Drayton 746 cfs. (The lowest I have ever fished at Grand Forks is 1,200 prior to this year.) This pretty much limits us with normal boats to fishing above the dams that still have deeper pools. Jet boats, kayaks and shore fishing can have pretty much private fishing below the dams now. These shallow areas should have pinch points making current and have great fish nearby.

The key right now is to find current of any kind. If you find current you find fish. Once you find current try fishing all parts of the hole including the very back. It seems the fish are hanging out in the back of the holes right at the rise. Keep an eye on your lines as fish will pick up the baits and run upstream due to lack of current. Spot sit times should be a minimum of 20 minutes and maybe even more to allow fish time to find the bait.

Bait choice is up for debate. One person says fresh goldeye, one says frozen, one says fresh sucker and one says frozen. I have thrown everything at them and have found that 12-24 dead sucker packed on ice to be the best.

Upcoming tournaments are Cats Incredible in East Grand Forks July 30/31 and Catfish Capital Challenge in Drayton August 6/7th. All are still accepting participants.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images  
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Red River

Comments

Great report.

1 Not allowed!
    Stopped today and checked out the Hendrum access.
    Dismally low!
    Walked out on a sold sheet of clamshells until I was almost dead center of the river.

0 Not allowed!

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube