drayweb

Winter Kill

Rate this Entry

0 Not allowed!
Was out at Crystal Springs yesterday. Didn't catch a thing. Didn't see any fish on my underwater camera either. The water had kind of a sour smell to it. Does that tell us anything?
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Other Bodies of Water

Comments

Imagine that's going to be pretty common this winter/spring. Noticed the game and fish has already commented on the lakes list on several lakes being suspected of winterkill.

0 Not allowed!
    Where does a feller find this list?

0 Not allowed!
    https://gfapps.nd.gov/reports/fisher...tersbyname.pdf

I'm sure more info specific to winterkill will come out as the melt occurs.

0 Not allowed!
    from what I know the above list is information of past winterkills and that information has not been updated for this years information yet. Usually sometime in late spring they will put out an update in there articles with a list of suspect lakes. If you have pertinent information to add to winter kill possibilities they would take the help in identifying any possible winterkill I am sure. dukgnfsn

0 Not allowed!
    Updated 03-19-2019 at 04:42 PM by dukgnfsn
    There are a handful on the list that are listed as suspected winterkill in 2019 (Armourdale Dam, Battle Lake, Buffalo Lake, etc - that's as far as I went on the list at this moment), but yes, undoubtedly there will be much more winterkill information as the ice begins to melt.

1 Not allowed!
    I think the last year that Crystal Springs had a die off was in 2011. I remember the kids went swimming in the lake that summer and the water smelled really bad.

According to the Game and Fish stocking report, they stocked it with 20,000 walleye fingerlings last summer (2018). They also did a netting survey, which revealed that the lake had 59% bullheads. If it does winterkill, maybe they should eradicate the lake and start over from scratch.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zoops
    There are a handful on the list that are listed as suspected winterkill in 2019 (Armourdale Dam, Battle Lake, Buffalo Lake, etc - that's as far as I went on the list at this moment), but yes, undoubtedly there will be much more winterkill information as the ice begins to melt.
    I sit corrected, I see there is some updated info for this year already, my apologies zoops, I didn't look close enough. Good to see they are updating as they have info, will have to pay closer attention. dukgnfsn

0 Not allowed!

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter