Idaho Elk

1. Kurtr
    Kurtr
    Going to start a discussion on each state. With how the draw works and preference points and hunting strategies

0 Not allowed!
  2. HuntingGriffs
    HuntingGriffs
    Going to buy my tag for Tex Creek Saturday morning. Will be my first hunt.

0 Not allowed!
  3. Rick Tischaefer
    Rick Tischaefer
    Tex Creek is a hell of a wintering area, both there and to the north and east. Archery hunted Elk Mountain near the Pallisades Reservoir a few years back. Way too close to Idaho Falls, the recreational activity on the National Forest was terrible. Good luck when you go. Rick

1 Not allowed!
  4. HuntingGriffs
    HuntingGriffs
    I'm looking at getting the b tag any bull and the season goes from October 15-21. Never been elk hunting before so it will definitely be a learning experience.

0 Not allowed!
  5. Retired Educator
    Retired Educator
    Have hunted elk in Idaho 5 times, 3 archery, 2 rifle. As far as I know there are no preference points for elk in Idaho, at least for rifle. Most of Idaho is pretty open for archery tags and available over the counter until some units fill their quota. Rifle I have used an outfitter. Archery? Kind of DIY except that I know a guy who lives in Idaho and is also an archery hunter. A built in guide for me. Haven't killed an elk with my bow but it's never been a lack of elk. Hunting with a bow I could have shot multiple bulls with a rifle. Either not quite close enough or just missed. And missed some chip shots. Rifle has been successful. Not shot a massive bull but did shoot 2 very respectable bulls, 5X6 and 6X6. All trips have been in eastern Idaho, virtually on the Wyoming border.

0 Not allowed!
  6. Retired Educator
    Retired Educator
    As far as recreational use, there are sections of the Caribous National Forest that are closed to motor-driven vehicles. Look for these areas to escape some of the recreation traffic. Most of these areas also have a quota on archery tags. Plan your hunt early. When they go on sale they have, in the past, been available over the counter until all are sold. Rifle tags are a draw in the special draw units.

0 Not allowed!
  7. Kurtr
    Kurtr
    I have rifle hunted the mcall zone for 3 years and not got an elk yet. never hunted the east side but in that unit i have heard of a fair amount of griz. On a otc diy hunt shot the first legal elk would be my opinion.

0 Not allowed!
  8. Retired Educator
    Retired Educator
    Heard from my buddy in Idaho that elk tags went on sale, I think it was Sat. morning and were sold out at 8:30. A few years ago (5 or 6) I could buy an archery tag OTC a month after they went on sale. Now in that special draw unit for rifle it has also turned into a limited number of archery tags. Archery is still OTC but when the number is gone, they are gone.No more unlimited archery tags. Don't blame the outfitter, his allotment of tags has not increased. Just so many more DIY hunters from all over.

0 Not allowed!
  9. HuntingGriffs
    HuntingGriffs
    I figured there would be a fair amount of bears there. I have a buddy coming with that is not hunting just for that reason. And yep I do plan on shooting the first legal bull I can, if I even see one.. had the tag purchased Saturday morning by 1:05 AM

0 Not allowed!
  10. Kurtr
    Kurtr
    there are still tags in idaho lots of them. I bought mine in july last year

https://idfg.idaho.gov/tag/quotas-no...508.1486854052

0 Not allowed!
  11. Kurtr
    Kurtr
    its getting to be time i am starting to get the bug. My brother is going to be putting out trail cams this weekened

0 Not allowed!

About Nodak Angler

NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube