Montana dog hunter

Shinji58078

https://www.foxnews.com/us/montana-woman-shoots-skins-siberian-husky-mistook-wolf

Thoughts on this?

Seems pretty unethical, she changed her story to self defense only after people pointed out it wasn't a wolf. The smiling pics don't look like someone who just felt like their life was in danger.

Do you buy the story? Should there be charges?

I wouldn't shoot anything I wasn't absolutely sure of what it was, but then again I've also never had to defend myself while hunting.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
am i fucking wetoddid or am i the only one who doesn't think that looks anything remotely like a wolf? now, mind you, i am not wolf expert. but, i've certainly watched a lot of TV show of actual wolves and that right there just doesn't scream "wolf" to me. it screams "husky". seems to me if i ever see a wolf there is going to be no doubt in my mind its a darn wolf. that whole story is disturbing. anyway, carry on...

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
No charges on her.

Running dogs get shot in Montana.

She's still an idiot.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it to early for this?🤣🤣
Screenshot_20220928-151400_Facebook.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't realize she skun the thing.

Holy...crapola.

That's almost as bad as the instagram "influencer" chick who bragged about the "sharptails" she shot in Nodak and posted a pic of some young hen pheasants.

There's stupid all over this here earth, and God made social media to help filter them out for all to see I guess.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member

Holy...crapola.

That's almost as bad as the instagram "influencer" chick who bragged about the "sharptails" she shot in Nodak and posted a pic of some young hen pheasants.

There's stupid all over this here earth, and God made social media to help filter them out for all to see I guess.

Idiot yes, pretty obvious to most it's a dog, to her apparently not. I doubt if she realized it was a goddam dog she wouldn't have skinned it out and bragged about it but who knows I guess...

This is on another level of stupid compared to shooting pheasant hen/young rooster thinking it's a grouse/partridge, guaranteed that happens a lot especially early season...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This kind of stuff has been going on ever since people started hunting.

One of my favorites from years gone by:

National Briefing | Midwest: Minnesota: Man Shoots Horse As Girl Rides​

• Give this article

By The Associated Press
  • Nov. 21, 2002
See the article in its original context from November 21, 2002, Section A, Page 28Buy Reprints
New York Times subscribers* enjoy full access to TimesMachine—view over 150 years of New York Times journalism, as it originally appeared.

A hunter who said he thought he was aiming at a deer shot a horse a 12-year-old girl was riding. The hunter, Clinton Hurlbut, 89, was charged with with reckless use of a firearm, a misdemeanor. The girl, Lindsey Duffield, was riding outside Browns Valley on Nov. 9 when her horse was hit with a shotgun slug that narrowly missed Lindsey's leg. The horse is recovering.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgot to mention, but as I remember it the horse was solid white in color. The old fella got his hunting privileges suspended for a year or two.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy shot a couple German shepherds a few years back and said they were wolves to. It’s nothing new it’s just social media let’s the idiots get exposed. I don’t know what you charge them with dogs running at large and you can’t be charged with being dumb or jails would be full

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
This kind of stuff has been going on ever since people started hunting.

One of my favorites from years gone by:

National Briefing | Midwest: Minnesota: Man Shoots Horse As Girl Rides​

• Give this article

By The Associated Press
  • Nov. 21, 2002
See the article in its original context from November 21, 2002, Section A, Page 28Buy Reprints
New York Times subscribers* enjoy full access to TimesMachine—view over 150 years of New York Times journalism, as it originally appeared.

A hunter who said he thought he was aiming at a deer shot a horse a 12-year-old girl was riding. The hunter, Clinton Hurlbut, 89, was charged with with reckless use of a firearm, a misdemeanor. The girl, Lindsey Duffield, was riding outside Browns Valley on Nov. 9 when her horse was hit with a shotgun slug that narrowly missed Lindsey's leg. The horse is recovering.
Thats no shit either. I grew up in Browns Valley. I know both of those people, and remember hearing about it, and not being completely surprised. Ole Clint was old as shit, couldn't see for shit, and should never have been hunting. The horse lived. Clint has since passed on.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member

Holy...crapola.

I never heard about this? If I remember right along time ago so guys came to ND to grouse and Partridge hunt and shot a bunch of Meadowlarks by mistake.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember hearing about that meadowlark story, no idea if its true but sure is funny, I'm sure they tasted ok.

I shot a coyote once that was the biggest coyote I've ever seen. When I got over to it and seen it I thought I'd fucked up and shot someones dog, but it was a coyote. It was in June, so he was big and his fur was kind of jacked up that made him look off, but he had the longest legs and biggest paws I'd seen on a coyote.

I remember about 15 years ago two guys from a small town a little north of me shot a wolf here in ND. THinking it was a huge coyote they took it to a taxidermist to get it mounted where they learned of their mistake and I believe they got turned in and got fined also.

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idiot yes, pretty obvious to most it's a dog, to her apparently not. I doubt if she realized it was a goddam dog she wouldn't have skinned it out and bragged about it but who knows I guess...

This is on another level of stupid compared to shooting pheasant hen/young rooster thinking it's a grouse/partridge, guaranteed that happens a lot especially early season...
This was my first thought as well.

Shinji58078

I don't buy her self defense story, pretty sure she was just trying to cover her ass after getting called out. I think there should be some charges for it, same as shooting any other non game or out of season animal. Unless it's legal to shoot strays in Montana, I'm not up on their laws.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What can she be charged for? The way it sounds, the dogs were released and running around in a wilderness area where a person would never expect a dog to be; on top of that the odd chance it happened to be a husky. It was legal to hunt both wolves and coyotes there and it sounds like both are notoriously a problem in the area. I'm not planning on spending much more time reading into the "hunt" portion of it, but how many times has everyone on this site had less than a handful of seconds to decide to shoot a coyote? I'm sure everyone has experienced that. And the shot was made with confidence knowing you were somewhere coyotes should be and dogs shouldn't be. I've seen 3 wolves while hunting. They were all flashes of white moving through willows 200-400 yards away and each offered less than 20 seconds to get a shot. At least I think they were wolves based on where they were and I would've killed each one if I was able to get one in the scope for a couple of seconds.

I can give her some grace and see how the mistake of taking the shot could be made. I'm not defending anything after that! I am NOT a dog person, but even I could've realized the mistake shortly after getting to the pup. I guess she saved that dog from being viscously torn up by wolves probably in the near future.....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62