Livescope

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously though, are these things really the shit? I've never used one or been fishing with anyone that's had one.

I watched a guy using one on a little lake in SE ND and he was systematically picking off fish left and right. It was pretty amazing to watch.
I bought one this year and have only used it 3 times....tonight I watched a northern come in from 40 feet away and zoom in to eat a 4 inch bluegill we had just turned loose. It almost made the whole cost worth it right there. Oh, and we found and caught 8 crappies 11-13" and multiples we let go.

Biggest thing for me is learning fish behavior and location and seeing what works vs. what doesn't....when fish spook and when they don't......lots to see that I haven't before.

100% paid for itself already in what I've learned

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
How soon do you want to buy either for your boat? The reason I ask is I bought the mega 360 ice bundle with the helix 9 last year. I still would like to play around with it more but have been thinking of selling it and buying a livescope. I'd sell just the mega 360 transducer or the whole thing. I think you'd rather run it on a bigger display in a boat but the 9 is just fine for ice fishing. Its awesome for seeing the bottom and the structure. It took me a while of adjusting the contrast and sensitivity to be able to see fish but once I did its pretty cool.
I’m not sure. I tend to dilly dally then all of a sudden buy. I’m currently leaning livescope, but still up in the air.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I am still waiting for a nda community member who has one to post videos or pics of how it works when fish are hugging the bottom. I do like the idea though of being able to look for schools of active fish 100+ feet away. That would be ideal for me since I prefer to run and gun in my pickup.
Ps you can post videos directly to the nda website now no more third party apps
When ice fishing, fish hugging bottom are easy to see. The bottom will look like it is crawling. This works well when the unit is stationary, but I’m guessing less so when mounted to a boat that is bobbing around.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe someone could post a picture of a real perch Christmas tree, that is what gets most excited about searching for active fish.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How about a crappie Christmas tree instead? This was a toned down version of the day.
crappie.jpg

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been running livescope for several years now, both open water and ice fishing. Real deal in both scenarios. Last year would run them in the open water watching crankbaits, muskie suckers, and using to target fish up shallow and on breaks. I use my side imaging a lot, find fish and then turn on them with my livescope that I mounted on the trolling motor.

Use it ice fishing like everyone else. Helps with hunting down fish and trying to figure them out. Learned a lot about chasing crappies and how sensitive they can be to footsteps and drilling holes even over deep water. Amazing technology that will continue to be enhanced.

FlatTopPete

Established Member
Visited with a salesman at Scheels today about Livescope. He’s got me sold. Just having a hard time convincing myself that it’s worth the $3300

My question is, how user friendly are they? Never ran a Garmin before. Does it take some getting used to? What are some dislikes you have?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Visited with a salesman at Scheels today about Livescope. He’s got me sold. Just having a hard time convincing myself that it’s worth the $3300

My question is, how user friendly are they? Never ran a Garmin before. Does it take some getting used to? What are some dislikes you have?
Don't break the bank for it.......just like everything live within your means. I have been wanting Livescope since it first came out, committed to it, saved for it, then found a great deal on it.

That said.....I took it out of the box, dropped it down the hole, and got GREAT results without making any adjustments. Very intuitive, user friendly if you've owned sonar before and understand it.

Here is a quick video on settings for the Livescope with the new transducer.....But honestly you don't need this IME to get started and have great results

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

I’ve owned every major brand sonar. IMO, Garmin is the easiest to use. Being a touch screen, it’s easy to navigate the through pages, settings, etc. It blows my mind how many guys have Helix birds and are content paying the money for them and not getting touch screen technology. I’m running a helix with a minn Kota, so I’m one of the idiots too I guess. Garmin’s base maps are legit. Networking them is simple as long as you know what unit you are buying (Echomap VS Echomap Ultra VS GPSMAP). I’ve ran an Echomap plus, Echomap UHD, Echomap Ultra, and GPSMAP. Currently I’m running Echomap ultras and GPSMAP. I’m having a hard time giving reasons not to go Garmin. Most of my fishing friends are using Garmin to a certain degree.

The one thing that’s a thumbs down, is Garmin’s trolling motor shaft length. They aren’t long enough for deep V walleye boats. That’s why I run a Minn Kota with a helix (ipilot link), but I have garmins on the dash and a Garmin for the scope.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you’re ballin on a budget, put the package together piece by piece. Find a sale on screen, buy the clearance LVS 32 instead of the 34. Buy a lithium battery, a better pole than the junk Garmin one, and a simple case. It doesn’t have to be fancy, it just has to work.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I second everything @Kentucky Windage says here. My Garmin UHD 93sv is 10x easier to operate than a previously owned Humminbird and a lot of it has to do with the touchscreen. I also didn't really have to change anything on my settings to make it better. I run it out of the boat with a GT54 transducer and livescope, all incredible. Even convinced my dad to get into one as well, which he doesn't regret.

I pieced mine together over a couple of years for both boat and ice, but I thought Scheels had a deal for the ice kit, including the Summit shuttle, for $2500 using the LVS32 transducer? Also highly recommend the Summit pole.

FWIW, I tried a Tactigrip shuttle prior to moving onto the Summit brand. Night and day difference. I liked the Tactigrip look, but it's built like total crap and broke twice on me. I don't treat my stuff rough either. On top of that, it took them over 40 weeks to get me the product even though when I ordered it they said 17 weeks.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I took the plunge. Bought the 106sv when Scheels had them on sale for $1,000.

Are most of you guys setting yours up permanent on your boat?
I'm building mine into a shuttle, so I can take it with in buddies boats, in the tailrace boat, in the dingy boat, ice fishing, and in my own boat. I'm still waiting on the pole and other accessories, but looking forward to using it on Lake Winnipeg and on Sakakawea this spring.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'm building mine into a shuttle, so I can take it with in buddies boats, in the tailrace boat, in the dingy boat, ice fishing, and in my own boat. I'm still waiting on the pole and other accessories, but looking forward to using it on Lake Winnipeg and on Sakakawea this spring.
Congrats Vollmer! You won't regret it! Took a weekend ice camping trip with the wife (who is NOT a fisherwoman) and by the end of the first night she was dialing in her presentation and felt like she knew what she was doing. Of course, she landed the biggest walleye at 20" which was AWESOME!

My plan is to NOT set it up permanent in the boat or mount to my trolling motor. I want to transport it. My buddy uses a rod holder (not sure exact model) and it is solid in the boat.

Trolling motor mount may come when I win the lottery and have multiple livescopes in the boat. Until then, I want to ability to turn the transducer independent of where my boat is pulling me.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me i have learn how to send and answer the cell phone over all these years. That is all and it is enough. Maybe on a good day take a picture.

The best i can now do is take my aluminum fishing pole and maybe my bamboo one too from the 1950s, find that dam i fished on, on the Cheyene River south of Crary as a young boy with my dad, get a hook and some worms.

Then fish for bullheads and life will be good with all the satisfaction i can handled. db

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats Vollmer! You won't regret it! Took a weekend ice camping trip with the wife (who is NOT a fisherwoman) and by the end of the first night she was dialing in her presentation and felt like she knew what she was doing. Of course, she landed the biggest walleye at 20" which was AWESOME!

My plan is to NOT set it up permanent in the boat or mount to my trolling motor. I want to transport it. My buddy uses a rod holder (not sure exact model) and it is solid in the boat.

Trolling motor mount may come when I win the lottery and have multiple livescopes in the boat. Until then, I want to ability to turn the transducer independent of where my boat is pulling me.
1675229945846.jpeg

1675230009751.jpeg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got my first vexilar for ice fishing last year and now you guys are giving me electronics envy....

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I have been running my unit out of a shuttle year round since I bought it for this exact same reason. I can get a full day at 10 degrees fishing outside with my amped 18ah battery, so there's no reason it wouldn't last all day on a boat in the summer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80