30/'06 Pondering and Blather

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Until around '83 Dad had sporterized 98 Mauser 8mm with a beautiful stock complete with an ebony fore end and actual ivory diamonds from a piano Grandma had sent to the burn pile....Anyways it sported a set of Williams peep sights as he told me the bolt couldn't be "bent enough" for a scope. It fit in perfectly well in the realm of Weatherby-inspired, garish angular guns.

In the late '70's 8mm ammo was becoming scarce in the Hills. Dad got a hankerin' for an '06:

Sandy (NFI) was an Italian sniper who deserted in WWII (NFI), found his way up a holler in the Hills, befriended my uncle and granddad and now assume to have shot blue gel dynamite with Granddad for kicks (refer "Shingles" thread): He NEVER lost his Italian accent. When I shot my first deer with the holy 16ga slug he and Granddad both teared up when slapping my back. I saw it.

Sandy liked to keep "exotic" birds and he loved guns. Sandy was a shotgunner and made his own wine like my grandmothers. His main mission was bobwhite quail restoration but would release chukars, ringnecks etc. The more I type the more I feel inadequate.

Anyways; Sandy had the stature of a 14yrd girl and was a skilled woodworker. A trade was developed for Dad's 1918 stamped Danzig Mauser for Sandy's Nazi stamped '06(?).

This gun is now mine. It's stocked for a kid and has retarded "open sight" scope mounts. When Dad tried to further bend the bolt he found it hollow and filled it with solder.

What should I do with this gun?...I'm picturing a kid telling another kid at the range: "This gun was taken off a dead Nazi".

I'm good with the mechanical necessities. How should I make this thing a cool chick?

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you say “open sight”
Mounts, do you mean the really high style you look through the bottom for opens or lift your face way off the stock for scope use?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll post up pics when I can. By "knowing" mechanically I know the bolt handle must be cut off and the mag box/spring/feedplate(?) need replacing. It's virtually a single shot. Rounds are only accepted from a squirmy low left side "approach" and only accepting two. Once in place they feed just fine. (controlled rd feeding so two).

I wish I knew more about the barrel. The bore is good and even in this wonky configuration it's a capable 300yd deer rifle. To achieve PBZ (sorry SD) Dad had to crank the elevation on the Tasco to the max due to the see-through mounts. (?...IDK) It will shoot Core Lokt 150's into a 3in high .50 piece @100.

The bbl still retains a superfluous front sight which makes the see-trough's a bit more annoying or maybe Sandy was ready for bear coming down the mountain in the fog...

Then again; I'd just bought the Seven when Dad made his trade. I was concentrated on it and freaking cannot remember how this rifle first looked when he got it. I do remember a lot of banging and clinking in his shed. In fact, he never hunted with a gun that year and killed a 120ish 8pt with the new Seven. I shot a forkhorn on the first day and talked Dad out along with Uncle Dave on the last Saturday. Me toting a shotgun (16ga):) for a grouse I couldn.t hit... Anyways I like to tell the story: Dad made an incredible "woods" shot with a "plains" rifle ignoring trees: Sorry: Blah blah blah...Blew it's heart out at 50yds...
I'm not sure of all the lore surrounding this gun: Supposedly Germany ordered some factory '06 chamberings and Hemmingway sought them out?...I doubt this rifle retains any historical value and pondering a re-barrel...To my memory the bbl is slick/plain. I always wanted Dad to have a "nice" gun and he was always "this is good enough for me": Complete contrarian for contrarian's sake until he passed.

I'm not leaving this gun alone.

Anyways if it were your gun what would you do?

Thanks for all input.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd order the lightest taper octagon Lilja can make you in .284, have it chambered 7x57, and have someone wizard you a stock out of walnut.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or instead of 7x57 you could do 257 Robert’s or 6MM Rem.

German Mausers yearn for 57MM sustinence.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it turns out there's no historical significance with the bbl, I believe I'd do a 6.5 Swede. Probably nothing will happen other than a proper bolt handle job and a Boyd's walnut I'd finish with TruOil (after applying faux grain patterns to rival a Brit gun.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
And rebluing, removing the front sight and recessing the crown. And and mounting a probably fixed X Leupold with a German #1 reticle, bedding the action and floating. My vision is a beautiful, handy woods rifle. Might even get a pretty bolt knob...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll post pics of the current gun ASAP: This acronym does NOT mean immediately.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...at/Number/18202086/gonew/1/wts-brno-21#UNREAD

Here’s what I’d aim for (link anbove) including the double triggers, but, I’d do a lightweight Oct. bbl.
Yep, that's damn close to what I'm envisioning. I freaking love a dbl trigger as you know regardless of purpose...I hadn't even considered this option but probably won't as to maintain as much "integrity" as possible. I don't want to go with a faceted bolt. I want a possible elongated flat shaft with a rounded knob sort of curved like a pig's tail (post queer joke now):

Holy shit man I'm not trying to pick your post apart!---that scope is way too high for my liking. The stock has the right "lines"; svelte and handy. I don't care if the mag is "tricky" to load. I believe the mag assembly needs replacement and plan on a hinged floorplate. I believe a closed under bolt loading would be feasible if you held your mouth right. ( Apologies to the "no shit" folks in the cyber universe.)

I will speak with my doctor about weird solo sex maladies and my Gunsmith about Three Quarter Inch Comb Pieces: Like I have on my cheapo Marlin .22 which will kick anything's ass IF given a lucky lot of consistent ammo:

Tune in my head for whole post^^^^IDK. Must be the 6.5 Swede or Julie "Banderas": They are both haughty vixens :

1678936656827.png

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two years ago a NC importer had a shitton of Zastva Mausers with double set triggers for 400 bucks. Alas, they seem gone from Guns International. Enjoy the tune^^^^

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a wonderful thing to behold. I think that's the first time I've ever seen a ring over the bell.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ring only goes 1/2 way around, there's no "top" on either ring. I assume they're both soldered on. I know the "Return To Zero" of the Claw Mount system works very well.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that's unique...The more I think about the scope the more I'm beginning to see a comb piece or highly customized stock will be necessary. Thinking if I force the issue I'm asking for ejection problems. Also will look into going old school with no front bell. I know a guy who could probably shave a few thousandth's off the mount plates...You've really got me wanting the dbl set trigger....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77