Lures Catch Fishermen

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was doing some lure shopping, and found myself wondering if some of the lures out there even catch fish. Or at least noticing how hard some stuff is marketed, whether it benefits me or not. My newest gripe is how hard some companies are pushing tungsten jigs for anything other than panfish. Jigs themselves have gotten way too spendy, so I am not ponying up even MORE for tungsten, especially not for walleye/pike/etc.

Maybe it's just me with the tungsten jigs.

Which lures, past and present, do you remember seeming mostly like a marketing gimmick than a good lure?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The banjo minnow infomercials got me as a kid. Even though my dad warned me, i begged and ended up with the 100+ piece set for a birthday present. I guess the smallest one was useful for catching creek chubs; an actual good bait.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The tungsten jigs are nice but I won't use them where I know pike are present. Damn near cost you your second child for half dozen of them.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will the "Gilly" work this weekend ---stay tuned i will let you know. I am going try it.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still have a couple of VibraBat lures. You were supposed to be able to catch a bushel basket of fish with them. They worked best if you hummed the Batman theme song while casting.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr decided to purchase me some Viking painted with the logo and all cranks.
The expense of these is, I wont ever use them.

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is never more true than with crank bait guys!
I was fishing Erie two years ago and we went into this tackle shop that was a wide open square building with wall to wall cranks. And in the corner behind till sat this Jabba the Hutt looking dude on his throne. You just asked him for whatever wacked out color crank you were looking for and he would instantly point it out on one of the walls with his lazer pointer! I mean there were tens of thousands of factory and custom colored cranks in there ha ha ha. Stupid fisherman I thought..😉😁

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO all crank/jerk baits are over hyped other than Rapala or Bagley's.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was fishing a lake many years ago that was loaded with 20 inch pike. Couldn't keep them off the hook. Had a tackle box decoration in the form of a shapely woman, naked as I recall and it actually had hooks attached. It caught fish as good as any other hook we tried.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was fishing a lake many years ago that was loaded with 20 inch pike. Couldn't keep them off the hook. Had a tackle box decoration in the form of a shapely woman, naked as I recall and it actually had hooks attached. It caught fish as good as any other hook we tried.
Here's the compliment to the one you used.....

1684376703165.png

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same story here, almost same lure too I’m sure. We also caught one on a NASCAR lure lol!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^All good and :ROFLMAO:. Conversely there's value in matching the hatch and modifying to present a slightly different and appealing option.

Per Backwater Eddie (y?) and my own experiences I believe the bait in the below vid could catch a multi-species "slundger" as we called "them" in the Hills. The topwater frog could be converted to a "jig". FYI: It's possible to catch walleyes below the Darling Dam on topwater in the Fall. The bank must be fished parallel and the bait must be no more than two feet off the bank (only works on weekdays at dawn and dusk).

I promise if I were still down in Ga I'd be throwing these for LM. IMO this was also accidently designed for muskie:

I suggest muting:

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84