The fish learn?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
you should research it -- -yes covid made it rise ---- trend though was more people fishing but number of hours fishing in a year down significant. Being by the boat ramp for last 6 years - its exactly what i seen May June heavy after the 4th of july it became empty lot and by fall nuttin. (devils lake).
Come by the Jmst Res once in the winter. When I started ice fishing in the early 70's, you would be hard pressed to see 30 fish houses on the lake all winter. Now you have villages of 30 houses.

Freedom

★ Legendary Member
Screenshot_20230519-194517.png
Screenshot_20230519-194559.png

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a selective breeding aspect to fishing. Fish with genetics that are susceptible to certain stimulus get removed - those who don't get triggered don't.

So it's not that individual fish learn - the population shifts toward the less gullible for certain patterns.
Good point.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow thats a bigger drop then what i thought i agree with jamestown res. Although remember when pipe was the hotspot.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you watch someone hook up a crank bait directly to a bottom bouncer and they clean house on them. Just get your lure in the right location and find the action that they want that day

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muskie....yes they learn,almost 100% caught and released here in Minnesota, walleye caught and kept....

Fishing muskie by mid summer,they get caught numerous times on very similar artificial bait patterns, these critters have hook damage evidence ...yet they still follow but won't bite.

We mark these follows as skis like pike are territorial and hit them at night.

Example,daylight casting,trolling, maybe one or two,with several follows,my best night hitting our marked follows is 10 skis between midnight and sunrise.its a trip night fishing with top water lures,gotta hang on tight as you can't see the strike.

My PO

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Running a shoreline with a group of buddies, 2-3 boats spread out but making the same run pitching cranks shallow, several times I've caught fish that had lures from the boat just ahead of me. Mostly that's been small pike.

I also had an uncountable number of follows of walleye, pike, and white bass doing the same thing. Smarts? Conditions (water temp, clarity, etc)? Wrong action/color lure?

I wish I spoke Fishinese so they could tell me. I could then tell them:

"Help me help you into a warm bath."

They don't need to know I'm going to fillet them and the warm bath is 375 degree oil......

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Running a shoreline with a group of buddies, 2-3 boats spread out but making the same run pitching cranks shallow, several times I've caught fish that had lures from the boat just ahead of me. Mostly that's been small pike.

I also had an uncountable number of follows of walleye, pike, and white bass doing the same thing. Smarts? Conditions (water temp, clarity, etc)? Wrong action/color lure?

I wish I spoke Fishinese so they could tell me. I could then tell them:

"Help me help you into a warm bath."

They don't need to know I'm going to fillet them and the warm bath is 375 degree oil......
When you get follows like that downsize the same lure and add a smear of PowerBait paste. ;)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74