New To Hunting Help Appreciated!

Hello everyone,

New hunter here actually moving onto my second season of ever hunting both waterfowl and deer, but I’ve run into the lack of gear. I’ve been able to buy clothing and all the necessities etc. but being in high school and sports makes everything a lot harder! The guy who’s land I hunt deer on, a friend of my grandpas said I ought to try and post on here asking if anyone had any deks laying around or any other gear they no longer use? Worth a shot I guess everything is appreciated! Also have a bow tag this year, but I live near Fargo anyone know of any good areas to hunt especially if walking not stand hunting?

Thanks, Logan

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where are u located. I got some shit to get u started!

- - - Updated - - -

Nvm... where is mooreton?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buy a couple lucky ducks and the cheapest floaters you can find and you can have hell of a good duck hunt. Doesn’t take much to shoot ducks. Geese would be tougher but maybe try and learn the art of pass shooting. Good luck!

Logan Stegmiller

Where are u located. I got some shit to get u started!

- - - Updated - - -

Nvm... where is mooreton?

I’m in fargo, but I hunt near mooreton or atleast have tried probably better off just saying fargo, North Dakota.

- - - Updated - - -

This can be a good place. It's also like walking into a bar. I suggest changing your handle to "42" (Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy) and being more specific.

This is exactly my hate/love of the internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Logan,

If you're the real deal "the guy" was wrong. Love America and love yourself. Don't taint your purity here.

I realize my words make this more attractive. Go away.

Not sure I 100% even understand the meaning behind this, but I’ll try not to get to invested if that’s what your saying.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
:)

Yes. Don't get invested fucktard.

I'd appreciate some pos rep from y'all

As I'm about to get zapped.

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bisman online is a good site for used gear but you gotta be patient because some folks ask for way too much money for what they are selling. Eventually good deals will show up, but you gotta be quick to reply.

As for Nodak angler, you can get good help here but beware…Lotta assholes on this site who think they are way cooler than they really are and have convinced themselves they are funny and smart when they are neither. I’m guessing you’ve met the same kind of people in high school and work, but the ones on this site are also full of courage because they are able to use a phony user name to hide behind, and they’ve already failed miserably at life so they really have nothing to lose by being a total dick. They have nothing to gain either, but aren’t smart enough to realize that. Lotta good folks here too though who love to just help people. You will sort them all out in a hurry, it isn’t hard!

As for deer, I really, really, really, really would encourage you to Spend a little coin for a blind (avoid the cheap ones and buy one with really good reviews that will last awhile). if you ever do get access to some land. Spend your walking time scouting around for a place to put it and then put the walking to rest. Access is very tricky though, good luck. Landowners are like the guys on this site…many are very friendly and generous and a few are total turds. Can’t hunt without em though, so learn to knock on doors and be gracious in success and defeat. Worst they can do is tell you “no” and they have every right to do so. Harder to get access for deer than birds but it is not impossible. I’m not sure from your post if you were looking for another place to hunt deer in addition to the one you currently hunt or if you are looking for places to hunt for other critters.

You looking for land or water decoys for waterfowl?

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I got 15 or so floaters with weights . You find a way to get them and they are yours. Might have some goose shells also

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Logan, put a few more posts on here and then your private messaging will turn on and when it does shoot me a message. I'm 20 miles NW of Fargo and have some gear and advice I could give ya. I'm sure there are plenty of other guys on here that would be willing to help you out too. Do your parents or friends hunt? Anyone else that could mentor you a bit? Trials and tribulations are part of the learning process but it's nice to get off on the right path early. Nice to see a young fella interested in more then video games.

325 WSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry you had to be greeted by such a douche bag on your first post!! Dirty explained it pretty well. Good luck this season

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
My opinion, Onx is a must. I think it's like $25/year or something like that. It will help you not be so dependent on others on where to hunt. There are other maps that you can use that are free, look on the G&F website for those. They just don't have GPS.

Something that I figured out just recently is the use of "run-n-gun" equipment. If you don't own land it's hard to put up blinds and stands that should be more permanent during hunting season. So I invested in a throw-down blind off of sportsman's guide. It was $50 and I bought two. They are quick and easy to set up. I read on here that someone's grandpa sat on a 5 gal bucket and just sat still and killed deer every year. So, a little bit of cover and patience will bring success.

I am also looking to invest in a tree saddle setup. This is another run-n-gun system that you can use. Go in, climb a tree and hunt. You don't have to pick a permanent spot, you can hunt different trees every day. Quick and easy.

I realize that you are looking for free stuff, and that's ok. I wish I had more to give other than advice. But this advice is coming from a guy without a ton of money, land, or know-how with the whitetails. I hope it helps.

As for this site, great guys. But just like any social website, you'll get the know-it-alls, a**holes, and trolls. It is fun to troll a little, most everyone does it. Take it for what it is. Some of members on this site like their liquor too much, so they don't make any sense most of the time.

Good luck! And I hope that the desire to hunt doesn't go away! It's a great family tradition to have!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you ever find yourself passing through the Bismarck area, let me know. I probably have some stuff that will get you started.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Logan,
Welcome to the forum.
Hope you can find someone to mentor you about hunting.
Sorry you had to get such a negative response right away, some people are just too negative.
Do you have access to a pickup?
Willing to travel to hunt? How far?
Good luck and post some of your hunts.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My opinion, Onx is a must. I think it's like $25/year or something like that. It will help you not be so dependent on others on where to hunt.

You can get OnX free till the end of the year. Go on G&F website and log on to your account. Click on the "Inbox" tab, click on "View" for the OnX subject and then click "Redeem". Follow the steps and setup an account.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I totally agree about ONX. These days, it’s one of the most important pieces of your hunting arsenal.
I also wholeheartedly invite you to send me a personal message any time with questions or if you are
In need of something. I have kept many things I purchased over the years and don’t frequently use anymore.
There’s always a possibility I have what you’re after or can help find it for you. I live in Bismarck.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well Logan, if you are who you say you are, I can help you on both fronts. Gear and Deer. However, you will have to come out to my place so we can meet. Too many folks hide on the internet and are less than truthful with their intentions. This will give us the opportunity to talk a bit so I can help you as best I can. Again, if you are who you say you are, you can have your pick of duck decoys that I don't use anymore. Have you shot a deer with your bow before or are you still on the hunt so to speak. I have a fairly good network of landowners that are fairly keen on helping the younger generation being successful. Just respond on here if your PM option isn't up and running yet and I'll do what I can to assist.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76