Home secuirty systems

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone on here have or know anything about Vivint home security systems. Any recommendations for any other fair priced home security systems. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a home security system just not sure which ones to consider. dukgnfsn

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thread on this on page 6, may be of some help.

220swift

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wife got Vivint hooked up a about 5 years ago. We have had no trouble with it so far. I like having the app on my phone. I can see our cameras, lock/unlock doors and adjust the temp from my cell phone. We will shut the AC of when we will be gone for a few days and the morning we are coming home she will turn the AC back on so its cooled of when we get home. The only complaint that I have is the deadbolt locks seem to go through batteries

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
put in ring flood lights and nice clear video. cost about 200-250 for the unit and put in place of the light between garage doors. another 30 per year for them to keep videos. db-2

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Have TS Security at my place. Under $30 a month. Basically will build your security package depending on what you want to do and how much u want to spend (window breaks, motion sensor, door sensor, cameras, wifi outlets, etc.) all controlled from an app. Been very happy with it so far.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have had TS Security from Mandan for about 3-4 years now i think. Terry is a super guy and if something were to shut down or if there is a problem when you are gone he will come over to fix it even if you aren't home if you ask him to. We are putting his security system in our new house too.
His system you have to buy the system up front then pay the $28.00 a month some places you make payments or rent their system plus pay a monthly charge.
Also he is local if and when you have a problem. You can call, text, or email him and he lives in Mandan! He installs units all over ND and possibly other States as well.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had vivint for five years. Love it. Wouldn't be without it living out here in the Williston area. I got a chuckle out of a buddy of mine. He had ADT for years. Switched to vivint. He unplugged the ADT crap and threw it in a box and ADT didn't even know lol. He quit paying the invoice and they never said anything. After a few months he called them and asked if they were coming to get their stuff lol. They had no idea his system wasn't even hooked up any longer.

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had extremely poor luck with Vivant. Crap install so the deadbolts don't always seat, poor customer service- waiting patiently for my contract to expire. Worst investment I have made by far.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My ring does not do all that stuff but it takes great video and as far as I know it works fine and all the time. Well worth the 200 plus dollars for peace of mine when we are away. Pay for what you get. db-2

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had extremely poor luck with Vivant. Crap install so the deadbolts don't always seat, poor customer service- waiting patiently for my contract to expire. Worst investment I have made by far.
We had problems with our front door dead bolt too. It's not the install it has an issue internally with it. I messed around with it quite a bit and there is no fixing it. We just haven't called to get it swapped out. We never use the front door so it's locked all the time anyway. But it's a pain in the ass nonetheless. That has been the only issue we have had. I had forgotten about it even.

I am going to install a drive way sensor. We have people drive way up in the yard and turn around in the middle of the night. I think for the most part it's people getting taxi rides home from the bar and they get lost. The dog keeps thinking it's someone bringing her a midnight snack.

Joshua79

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you just want camera's etc and not actual monitoring service. Save your self the monthly fees and look at https://blinkforhome.com . Easy to install each camera takes a set of double A batteries - NO WIRES and best of all no monthly fees. Little bit of smarts and you can hook your phone up with an location app Life360 and a https://ifttt.com/ setup you can have the arm when you leave and disarm with the first phone that comes home.

I am one that would rather pay up front rather than pay monthly forever.

wstnodak

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had problems with our front door dead bolt too. It's not the install it has an issue internally with it. I messed around with it quite a bit and there is no fixing it. We just haven't called to get it swapped out. We never use the front door so it's locked all the time anyway. But it's a pain in the ass nonetheless. That has been the only issue we have had. I had forgotten about it even.

I am going to install a drive way sensor. We have people drive way up in the yard and turn around in the middle of the night. I think for the most part it's people getting taxi rides home from the bar and they get lost. The dog keeps thinking it's someone bringing her a midnight snack.

Have you done any research on drive way sensors yet? I have thought about getting a couple of them for awhile now.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not sure if there are different levels of vivint but in my experience working on peoples homes they aren't that great. I don't remember any of them having cameras though. Got a call from one of my clients one day asking if I was going to be there that day, I had already been there for 3 hrs. I had the front door open the patio door and 2 windows and he said nothing was showing on his app. With some fiddling around he got a couple of them to work consistently but canceled as soon as he could and installed his own system he bought off amazon and said it's way better and no monthly payment. What I heard awhile back was that Brinks had such a bad reputation for crappy product that they had to change their name... and vivint was what they went with.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not sure if there are different levels of vivint but in my experience working on peoples homes they aren't that great. I don't remember any of them having cameras though. Got a call from one of my clients one day asking if I was going to be there that day, I had already been there for 3 hrs. I had the front door open the patio door and 2 windows and he said nothing was showing on his app. With some fiddling around he got a couple of them to work consistently but canceled as soon as he could and installed his own system he bought off amazon and said it's way better and no monthly payment. What I heard awhile back was that Brinks had such a bad reputation for crappy product that they had to change their name... and vivint was what they went with.
we were supposed to get the cameras with ours but we weren't ready to install them at the time the system was put in. We haven't felt the need for them so we just haven't had them come install em.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
43579653-0218-4A28-B1AB-5443C7E1887C.jpg
My security system

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110