Liquid rollers?

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Has anyone ever tried using liquid rollers on their bunks? I have an 18 foot fiberglass boat on a bunk trailer... Last year I had a 16 foot aluminum boat on rollers and I'm having a hard time getting used to the bunk trailer...

I loved how I could unhook my boat in the water and it would just roll right off the trailer this bunk trailer is a pain because I have to back up to the point where I almost have to wait into the water to unhook my boat.. then when I have it unhooked I have to give it a lot of throttle to get it off the trailer...

Last edited:

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
If you have a partner, unhook the boat before backing into the water. Boat will stay on trailer until it floats off. If by yourself and have a pickup, step on back tire to the box then tail gate to unhook. Reverse the process when loading. I recommend the Drotto Latch. Once you get use to a bunk trailer, I would be surprised that your preference will be a roller. There is a reason you don't see that many roller trailers anymore.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sure miss my bunker trailer , When alone I'd unhook and clip about 20' of line from front of the trailer to front of boat and back in launch and drive back out all in one step , Then get out and secure boat to dock and park . When there was help hand the rope to helper and back in and drive away.

MULEDEER

Established Member
I second the drotto latch. Best money I ever spent I am alone 95% of the time and I would be lost without the latch. No more crawling in the truck box or on the trailer to hook or unhook the boat

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you have a partner, unhook the boat before backing into the water. Boat will stay on trailer until it floats off. If by yourself and have a pickup, step on back tire to the box then tail gate to unhook. Reverse the process when loading. I recommend the Drotto Latch. Once you get use to a bunk trailer, I would be surprised that your preference will be a roller. There is a reason you don't see that many roller trailers anymore.

I do back down myself and it goes so far back my back tires are in the water... I don't want to sound like a snowflake but I always forget to wear water shoes and hate getting my socks and shoes wet...;:;boohoo

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take your socks off if you have to. Really though, unhook the bow before you back down. Once you see it float, hit the breaks to bump it off the bunks. When launching by myself. I tie the boat off to a cleat and bump it off. If you’re worried about dock rash, either put your bumpers out or jump out of the pickup and cinch it right to the dock.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do back down myself and it goes so far back my back tires are in the water... I don't want to sound like a snowflake but I always forget to wear water shoes and hate getting my socks and shoes wet...;:;boohoo

That sounds like the boat ramp last weekend. Was waiting to load my boat and watching. A guy backs his trailer down and his wife or girlfriend was driving the boat. She did pretty well loading , only a little hang up getting the front on right the first shot. the guy got out of his pickup and was giving her directions and pointing. She finally got it back off and hit it dead center and was running it up to the front crank. She didn't get it all the way and couldn't give it enough to get it to hit the front roller. (trailer too shallow)The guy stood there just waving at her. She finally walked to the front and crawled over the bow into the water and hooked the strap and cranked the boat up to the roller. Crawled back over the front and went back and turned the motor off and trimmed it up. He jumped in the pickup and drove it up the ramp. What a hell of a women!! Carver, that wasn't you not wanting to get your shoes wet was it??

Fish On!

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That sounds like the boat ramp last weekend. Was waiting to load my boat and watching. A guy backs his trailer down and his wife or girlfriend was driving the boat. She did pretty well loading , only a little hang up getting the front on right the first shot. the guy got out of his pickup and was giving her directions and pointing. She finally got it back off and hit it dead center and was running it up to the front crank. She didn't get it all the way and couldn't give it enough to get it to hit the front roller. (trailer too shallow)The guy stood there just waving at her. She finally walked to the front and crawled over the bow into the water and hooked the strap and cranked the boat up to the roller. Crawled back over the front and went back and turned the motor off and trimmed it up. He jumped in the pickup and drove it up the ramp. What a hell of a women!! Carver, that wasn't you not wanting to get your shoes wet was it??

Fish On!
Haha no! My wife will take her shoes off and get in and crank it up for me though while I'm in the boat :;:rockit I told her how to jump into the box and crawl down on the tounge... I think she I was being a pussy if I remember correctly ;:;rofl haha to her benefit she had slip on sandels.... I would have had to untie my shoes take my socks off and put everything back on...

I'm seriously thinking about buying a pair of these!
shopping.jpeg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
After having a bunk trailer and a couple of roller trailers, I just cannot fathom why people would prefer a bunk over a properly fitted roller trailer on an aluminum hull. Seriously, my previous Smokercraft and current Lund are so, soo...easy to load and unload with a roller trailer.

Granted, if I had a glass hull, I'd go with a bunk trailer for support reasons, but still.

FWIW, I do also have a bunk trailer for my Toon. It's fine, but I had a board come loose on a one-year old trailer and create a problem a few weeks ago. Bunks are dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

And getting my feet wet for loading or unloading? WTF are you talking about?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Properly fitted must be the key or what am I doing wrong ? I have a 82 Lund Mr Pike with a roller trailer , It loads nice but dang boat sits crooked one direction or the other almost every time. Had a big old 20' Brunswick with a bunker and side guides , All I had to do was get it close and it would settle right into place when I pulled it out of the water slow, And a 26' Sea Ray with bunker trailer, Same thing Loaded easier than my Mr Pike on a roller trailer. I've only loaded the Lund baron once and that has side guides I thought there was no way that would load crooked but it did.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Properly fitted must be the key or what am I doing wrong ? I have a 82 Lund Mr Pike with a roller trailer , It loads nice but dang boat sits crooked one direction or the other almost every time. Had a big old 20' Brunswick with a bunker and side guides , All I had to do was get it close and it would settle right into place when I pulled it out of the water slow, And a 26' Sea Ray with bunker trailer, Same thing Loaded easier than my Mr Pike on a roller trailer. I've only loaded the Lund baron once and that has side guides I thought there was no way that would load crooked but it did.

I had the same issue with my pro v. First I thought it was always crooked because the kicker was on the same side as me. I found it I don't put the trailer in the water quite as far its straight and level every time. I just barley put the back rollers under water.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate waiting for the "wet feet guys". Even with a roller just bend over and hook the eye.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never owned a roller trailer. Never get my feet wet either. Not really sure what you guys are doing wrong.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A lot of guys back in to far with the roller trailors and the boat floates over the first roller.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the boat is crooked on a roller trailer, I would drive down the road a mile or two without the transom straps. It would self-level for me. Cabela's has those skid kits (less friction) for bunk trailer that may help.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
(By myself)If bunk trailer, unhook right before it gets backed in. I then back in slowly(close to the dock)until it starts to float. I then step off the dock into the boat and back off.

With company, they just back in tap the brake and you take off. Easy peasy.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. It's much easier to launch with the rear straps removed;-)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76