The GOOD things & changes you're seeing in this mess?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen and heard discussions about the good things folks are seeing or changes they are experiencing as part of the coronavirus mess. Instead of focusing all on the bad, some observations I have made that are good-

-I am in the education line of work. The challenges that are being met are huge and I believe are opening eyes to new ways of educating students. There will be a massive paradigm shift after this, especially with concepts like customized learning after seeing what developed in this time frame. There are still incredible challenges as part of this and students aren't getting what they would in a classroom. But once over, I think the ideas generated will be powerful.

-Sense of community and helping one another out. From shopping for elderly, to trying to support a local restaurant through take-out, folks are seeing the needs of others and trying to fill that void.

-Businesses are reworking their business models to adapt the the times. Very challenging, but it will lead to better, more profitable enterprise in the future. Just listening to radio ads about how different businesses are reacting and their ideas, some are like huge light bulbs.

-Remote workplaces. I think a lot of companies are going to see that remote work has more merit than previously though. Employees are going to also see and value what it can bring. There will be far more industries working remotely after this (and probably more productively too).

There is a lot of pain going on out there for sure, and it far outnumbers the good. But, there is some positives coming from this, if not now then later & in hindsight. Curious as to what you've seen...

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great thread!

This is definitely going to be an eye-opener for many. Hopefully a lot of people start keeping a little more food and supplies on hand, instead of panic-buying. I also hope that a lot of people open their eyes to how much change we actually need with who's running our country. We really need to vote out some losers...Like most or all of Cali. I hope we, as a country, can see how bad party lines can be. WE ARE AMERICAN NOT REP OR DEM!!!

The biggest changes that I've seen are with myself and my family. The first big impact for me was when they shut down the gym that I've been going to. I've been doing some really good things for myself at the gym and them BOOM! It's gone. But, I started an at-home routine. It's been awesome! I feel like I'm not losing any ground either. And now my kids are doing it with me. Which is awesome!

Another big one is with my family. We seem to have redirected our focus on certain things. Things that I would get grumpy about with the kids don't seem so important anymore. There seems to be a lot better atmosphere at the house. A lot less fighting too. It's been nice. We've done more together the last few weeks than we have all winter, and we haven't killed each other!

Coalburner

Honored Member
Great thread!

This is definitely going to be an eye-opener for many. Hopefully a lot of people start keeping a little more food and supplies on hand, instead of panic-buying. I also hope that a lot of people open their eyes to how much change we actually need with who's running our country. We really need to vote out some losers...Like most or all of Cali. I hope we, as a country, can see how bad party lines can be. WE ARE AMERICAN NOT REP OR DEM!!!

The biggest changes that I've seen are with myself and my family. The first big impact for me was when they shut down the gym that I've been going to. I've been doing some really good things for myself at the gym and them BOOM! It's gone. But, I started an at-home routine. It's been awesome! I feel like I'm not losing any ground either. And now my kids are doing it with me. Which is awesome!

Another big one is with my family. We seem to have redirected our focus on certain things. Things that I would get grumpy about with the kids don't seem so important anymore. There seems to be a lot better atmosphere at the house. A lot less fighting too. It's been nice. We've done more together the last few weeks than we have all winter, and we haven't killed each other!

i agree - I am starting to think parts of California need to go their own way. The fact a certain party could hold aid hostage for the American people and businesses to get a progressive wish list of theirs is a new low in politics. Term limits and having more than two parties to choose from should really be considered after this debacle. They have proven they can no longer do the right thing. If you like working out at home you should check out a Peloton - they are awesome - 40 dollars a month with 0% interest payment plan plus their resale value is great. After a year or two you can sell them for almost as much as you bought them for.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I emptied/ reorganized my junk drawer and found long lost items. like...now i know where i stuffed my extra roll of electrical tape, batteries, screw drivers, shoe laces, etc haha.
Start tying more spinners. carry on..

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree - I am starting to think parts of California need to go their own way. The fact a certain party could hold aid hostage for the American people and businesses to get a progressive wish list of theirs is a new low in politics. Term limits and having more than two parties to choose from should really be considered after this debacle. They have proven they can no longer do the right thing. If you like working out at home you should check out a Peloton - they are awesome - 40 dollars a month with 0% interest payment plan plus their resale value is great. After a year or two you can sell them for almost as much as you bought them for.

It's been fun trying to figure out how to get a full body workout without much equipment. A lot of different styles of pushups for sure...I've thought about a bike or treadmill, but we haven't had good luck using them very much. Maybe sense my priorities have changed, it will be different. We'll see.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The BEST thing I have seen in my small circle to come out of this LUNACY is that many have come to the realization that the govt. WILL NOT take care of them in a crisis. For it is the govt. and the media that have caused this debacle. Only THEY have the ability and drive to ensure themselves and their families are taken care of. ONLY THEY, have the skill and expertise to evaluate the possibilities of the future for themselves, make preparations, and create an environment where they and their families can have a chance to thrive. No matter the obstacles, trials, or tribulations that life puts in front of them. I hope this lesson gets BURNED into their minds.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of the above posts go right back to negative. It's too bad. Gotta take a deep breath, and really TRY, like actually try, to be positive.

Anyhow, I read something last night, that bears repeating.

20 years from now, people may be looking back at this. Children (now adults) may ask their parents *us, what it was like.

We might say "it was terrible, there was hoarding, and long lines, people were panicking, the economy tanked, and the politicians could not help".

We might say "you were 7 years old then, what do you remember about it?"

They might say "I remember you guys being home more, I remember going for walks with you, talking to neighbors across the street and laughing about it. I remember sitting on the floor doing puzzles with you, and playing board games. I remember sitting down and watching a whole pile of Andy Griffith shows (we watched about 20 this past weekend). It was the best time of my childhood.."

It's all about perception.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weirdly enough, I'm seeing more of my neighbors now than ever. It's like this weird combination of everything shutting down, cabin fever, and end-of-winter/almost-spring stuff. People are plain ANTSY. I bet not 20 minutes go by without someone walking, biking, jogging, roller blading or otherwise moving past our house.

It's encouraging! I hope they keep it up. Maybe it'll finally desensitize my dogs enough so they'll quit barking.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I like the fact that my personal space went from 3' to 6'.;)

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It kind of brings the 70’s back around in regard to social issues.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Weirdly enough, I'm seeing more of my neighbors now than ever. It's like this weird combination of everything shutting down, cabin fever, and end-of-winter/almost-spring stuff. People are plain ANTSY. I bet not 20 minutes go by without someone walking, biking, jogging, roller blading or otherwise moving past our house.

It's encouraging! I hope they keep it up. Maybe it'll finally desensitize my dogs enough so they'll quit barking.

Same...spot on!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The getting outside & workout deal has also been a good change I agree. Lots more people out and about, even for a walk. My perspective has changed during it too. I went for a lunch gravel bike ride, short, 30 minutes. Incredible day, warm, hardly any wind. Strange for the world to be so upside down but things so nice. Since my gym is closed, have had to change up some things at home too. More motivated, something different. I need to get a pullup bar in the garage. Since so many people LOVE bicyclists on here (sarcasm), you'd be happy to note I'm now Zwifting inside on the crappy days. Won't be hogging anyone's road! But activity level among many people seems to have increased, with more family activities too. Good stuff.

Redneck1

Positive poem Positive.jpg

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have seen a lot of families out for walks, etc. Saw more people out ice fishing this past weekend than I had all year, and the weather wasn't even very nice. A little slower pace of life is a good thing for many families I would imagine. I would also agree with Traxion's original post that a lot of good things/advancements will come out of education being forced to adapt to online learning. Most teachers were already using a lot of online tools but they'll get more fluent and the old codgers who still hand write all of their notes on the whiteboard will find better ways.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I believe that God is showing us who is really in command here. This started in China around Christmas and here we are....just past midway of the Lenton season when we are to remember daily of the 40 day journey that Christ experienced before he died on the cross on Calvary to SAVE the world. A lot of people at our church realized that we would soon lose our in person services, so the last public mass was very well attended. Hope we fill the pews when this is all done.

Good time to rent or watch "Christ, The Passion". Mel Gibson put his big boy pants on to Direct that movie in front of Liberal Hollywood (Shifty Schiff district). Jim Caviezel did an awesome portrayal of Christ.

Stay well, stay safe, stay home!

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
This virus has helped me to slow down and smell the roses. C-19 has brought about a more intense desire to spend time with my kids and family than I may have had otherwise. Not that I don’t love them and didn’t want to spend time with them before, but I think this brought more of the feeling of “enjoy them while you can” that is often only realized by men when they are older and the kids are closer to being off on their own. Savor these days of being able to spend time with the ones we love. My 3.5 year old son and I hit the lake today in search of some pike and it was my favorite day of ice fishing ever!

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Covid-19. The virus that saved the family! Over the past years my wife and I have spent a lot more time with our kids and even started homeschooling them. It's been fantastic. It's crazy to see how this has made people go through the same journey I have.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The great part, Without chasing kids to BBall tourneys and all over the place we’ve done all kinds of stuff that’s been neglected around the house. Cleaning, putting shit together that’s been in boxes for years, and some well needed re-arranging. Also tackled lots of little to-do’s that were not necessary but nice to get done. Also spending way less not eating out for lunch every day, Been going home and checking on the kids and eating leftovers out of the fridge. We did decide as a family we’d order out twice a week to break things up and help support our local restaurant business. It’s actually been a nice break from the daily rat race!

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen and heard discussions about the good things folks are seeing or changes they are experiencing as part of the coronavirus mess. Instead of focusing all on the bad, some observations I have made that are good-

-I am in the education line of work. The challenges that are being met are huge and I believe are opening eyes to new ways of educating students. There will be a massive paradigm shift after this, especially with concepts like customized learning after seeing what developed in this time frame. There are still incredible challenges as part of this and students aren't getting what they would in a classroom. But once over, I think the ideas generated will be powerful.

-Sense of community and helping one another out. From shopping for elderly, to trying to support a local restaurant through take-out, folks are seeing the needs of others and trying to fill that void.

-Businesses are reworking their business models to adapt the the times. Very challenging, but it will lead to better, more profitable enterprise in the future. Just listening to radio ads about how different businesses are reacting and their ideas, some are like huge light bulbs.

-Remote workplaces. I think a lot of companies are going to see that remote work has more merit than previously though. Employees are going to also see and value what it can bring. There will be far more industries working remotely after this (and probably more productively too).

There is a lot of pain going on out there for sure, and it far outnumbers the good. But, there is some positives coming from this, if not now then later & in hindsight. Curious as to what you've seen...

I also work in education. This is changing the whole game. Some of that is good, and is an inevitable part of education in the future. We educators have a lot to learn with this 'distance learning'. I've been keeping busy learning how to implement instruction and trying to connect with students.

I hope this brings families closer together. I know a lot of us could use a staycation. Most countries get a lot more vacation days than we in the USA do. I plan to do a deep clean. Clean out the cupboards of crap we don't use. Clean out the closets of old never worn clothes, just get caught up.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75