Transom Saver

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My new Lund has the conventional transom saver that attaches to the boat trailer then the lower unit sits snug in the V. Wondering tho if this type of transom saver is more effective/less harmful over the life of the boat than say using a MyWedge type saver on the hydraulic rod? Have seen quite a few of both...just wondered what others thought? Thanks gents...

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is there any reason not to use a transom saver or one of those wedges? I have seen a lot of really nice boats from Lunds to sparkly Rangers with no transom saver to be seen. Seen it a lot more out in WY than anywhere else. Any reason for this rather than people who don’t take care of their stuff?

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the 3 piece wedge system on my merc 150. Keeps the motor straight and supported I like it.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is there any reason not to use a transom saver or one of those wedges? I have seen a lot of really nice boats from Lunds to sparkly Rangers with no transom saver to be seen. Seen it a lot more out in WY than anywhere else. Any reason for this rather than people who don’t take care of their stuff?

Everything I've read seems to imply if you have enough clearance between your skeg and the road during trailering with the motor trimmed down, you don't need any type of transom saver...but if motor must be trailered trimmed up some, best to use something. Suppose every boat/motor/set up is different tho...

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get the My Wedge rubber boat motor support and throw the galvanized transom saver in the garbage.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've "heard" that newer boats have a strong enough transom to not need any type of transom "saving" but I am skeptical. I suppose if you trade boats before they get 5-10 years old you'll never have it long enough to see a problem. I also don't understand how that wedge can displace any pressure from the transom so I still prefer one that goes from the lower unit to the trailer. I recently replaced my Attwood transom saver, which kept marking the lower unit badly with the bolt heads inside the rubber pads, with a transom saver that has a large rubber V. So far I like it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would seem to me that the My Wedge and your standard transom savers are of such different design they are each hoping to prevent different problems. The My Wedge in no way, shape, or form does anything to protect your transom from the weight stresses put on your transom from a motor, it does though help protect your lift/trim hydraulics from having to endure the abuse of a bouncing motor. I suppose it being rubber the shock absorber effect is in play, but the transom is still supporting the full weight and torque of a non-vertical motor.

The transom saver though does actually transfer some of the engine's weight (shouldn't be much though) and nearly all of the torque inflicted on a transom to some stable point on the trailer frame. In order to properly use a transom save though, one must also snug the boat to the trailer using transom straps. Otherwise you may be defeating the purpose.

At least, that's my take on the physics at play with these two tools. I use the transom save on my Lund with a Yamaha motor, but the Toon's Mercury is left hanging on the Toon's transom, in a near vertical position. Maybe I should get a wedge for it as there is no place to mount a transom saver on the Toon/trailer combo.

Last edited:

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1.Raise up motor.
2. Slide 4x4 block into gap.
3. Lower motor onto block.
4. Voila! Transom saver.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would seem to me that the My Wedge and your standard transom savers are of such different design they are each hoping to prevent different problems. The My Wedge in no way, shape, or form does anything to prevent your transom from the weight stresses put on your transom from a motor, it does though help protect your lift/trim hydraulics from having to endure the abuse of a bouncing motor. I suppose it being rubber the shock absorber effect is in play, but the transom is still supporting the full weight and torque of a non-vertical motor.

The transom saver though does actually transfer some of the engine's weight (shouldn't be much though) and nearly all of the torque inflicted on a transom to some stable point on the trailer frame. In order to properly use a transom save though, one must also snug the boat to the trailer using transom straps. Otherwise you may be defeating the purpose.

At least, that's my take on the physics at play with these two tools. I use the transom save on my Lund with a Yamaha motor, but the Toon's Mercury is left hanging on the Toon's transom, in a near vertical position. Maybe I should get a wedge for it as there is no place to mount a transom saver on the Toon/trailer combo.

Your explanation makes sense and I think you are correct, 2 different things in play. Never thought it like that. Thanks!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would seem to me that the My Wedge and your standard transom savers are of such different design they are each hoping to prevent different problems. The My Wedge in no way, shape, or form does anything to prevent your transom from the weight stresses put on your transom from a motor, it does though help protect your lift/trim hydraulics from having to endure the abuse of a bouncing motor. I suppose it being rubber the shock absorber effect is in play, but the transom is still supporting the full weight and torque of a non-vertical motor.

Yeah that "My Wedge" thingy isn't doing anything to help the transom of the boat. The boat transom is still carrying all of the weight from the engine. My first boat had a 115 on it and I never used a transom support, never had any issues. The boat I have now has a 75 on it and it has a transom saver attached to the trailer. Not sure its necessary though. The way some of these boats take a pounding on the water I'd expect more damage to occur then on the road.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suppose I should vouch better for the transom saver based on experience. I launched my Lund Fisherman with Yam 115 4S along with the boat trailer almost 4 feet in the air a couple summers ago while running over the spare tire after its carrier came apart on some washboard roads. Straps held the boat to the trailer and the transom saver was still in place after that fall from the sky. Two small dings in the hull where the trailer fenders hit the outside rib on the hull, but no issues with either the motor or the transom afterwards.

Note #2, maybe 6-7 years earlier I had done something similar when the boat and trailer went airborne after hitting a porcupine, again...no damage to the boat/motor, but did have to get trailer fenders and a new axle after that incident as well.

So yeah, I like my transom savers.

I suppose I should stop using them so I can get my insurance company to buy me a new boat the next time this one goes airborne. :;:smokin

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I suppose I should vouch better for the transom saver based on experience. I launched my Lund Fisherman with Yam 115 4S along with the boat trailer almost 4 feet in the air a couple summers ago while running over the spare tire after its carrier came apart on some washboard roads. Straps held the boat to the trailer and the transom saver was still in place after that fall from the sky. Two small dings in the hull where the trailer fenders hit the outside rib on the hull, but no issues with either the motor or the transom afterwards.

Note #2, maybe 6-7 years earlier I had done something similar when the boat and trailer went airborne after hitting a porcupine, again...no damage to the boat/motor, but did have to get trailer fenders and a new axle after that incident as well.

I suppose I should stop using them so I can get my insurance company to buy me a new boat the next time this one goes airborne. :;:smokin

Jeeze Allen...did you piss off the boating gods or what...good lord man...your life "experiences" would make a hell of a coffee table book!!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jeeze Allen...did you piss off the boating gods or what...good lord man...your life "experiences" would make a hell of a coffee table book!!!

There are times I am reasonably sure someone hates me, then again...I put an awful lot of miles on my equipment each year. So there's a certain amount of ShiPO that happens based on that alone.

ShiPO = Shit Happens, Poop Occurs and life goes on

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
They can also be a motor saver if your trailer comes off of the ball and gets on the safety chains.

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are times I am reasonably sure someone hates me, then again...I put an awful lot of miles on my equipment each year. So there's a certain amount of ShiPO that happens based on that alone.

ShiPO = Shit Happens, Poop Occurs and life goes on

Well said Sir...well said!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member

Have you tried just returning the boat to the dealer and claim it was a defective boat? ;:;rofl

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t understand why we’re so worried about transom savers when the hardest jarring that occurs on a transom is when you’re running across the lake in big waves and takeoff until the boat is on plane. To me, that’s way harder on the transom than going down the road on rubber tires....but what do I know, I’m just a doctor

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the difference is relatively static vs dynamic forces

try to lean on a hammer slowly/gently to get the nail to sink in

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you tried just returning the boat to the dealer and claim it was a defective boat? ;:;rofl

Heh heh heh heh heh, I never thought of that. Must be my honesty coming back to bite me in the derriere.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a My Wedge and some plastic things that snap over the steering ram to stop the motor from turning. Boat's on it's 7th season and no issues running that way so far.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76