Best Way to Remove Lead Fouling

bilbo

Honored Member
I had a recent batch of handloads that went awry. Still not sure what the cause was; I suspect they were a little hot, but I leaded up the barrel of one of my 9mms pretty bad. What's the best way to remove this? I've tried the old Hoppes and BoreTech Eliminator and a lot of scrubbing with 40 cal. brushes. That's what I have on hand. It's removed some of it, but the bore is still lead-y. Any recommendations on how to get this out without damaging the bore? Maybe time & elbow grease is the best way, but figured I'd see if there's a faster method.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We used to use the Lewis Lead Remover. Don't know if they still make them.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A proper sized brush will remove the lead better than an oversized brush. An over-sized brush's bristles lay down such that they scrub less effectively. It might be faster to put some JB bore paste on a patch then wrap that around a 9MM brush.

bilbo

Honored Member
Good point, I never thought about it that way. I haven't tried the properly sized copper brush, just the nylon one with Boretech. Tonight, I'll give it a go with a 9mm copper brush.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to use the Lewis Lead Remover. Don't know if they still make them.
I still use one at times. If a person could find copper screen I'm guessing you could duplicate its action with a tight jag.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...ead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

If you shoot lead you should not be without one of these. One pass and your lead is normally gone. Two passes if there is so much lead the first pass fills the screen. In a very smooth bore I have had this lead remover pull pieces of lead a half inch long.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Lewis lead remover for 40-45 years now and it works pretty well. These days I use Copper Choreboy to clean lead out of my barrels. Just cut a piece off, wrap it around a brush and push it through a few times and you're done. It's pretty cheap at $1.00-$1.50 a box and will last years.

bilbo

Honored Member
Thanks, I was going to get the Lewis device but haven't had a chance to order it. I have been working on a landscaping project and never seem to have time to take a breath. I will try the chore boy if I can find it locally and verify it's copper and not stainless steel.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Lewis lead remover for 40-45 years now and it works pretty well. These days I use Copper Choreboy to clean lead out of my barrels. Just cut a piece off, wrap it around a brush and push it through a few times and you're done. It's pretty cheap at $1.00-$1.50 a box and will last years.

Memory needs a shock once in a while. I bought some of that copper Chore Boy from one of the g un supplies years ago and used it in my 45-70. I had completely forgot about it. Its supposed to rain today so it looks like I have a search day. I bought some of the silver colored too. From a gun supply also, and they said it wouldnt scratch. I dont remember what its made of. Perhaps it is stainless and like stainless brushes that say on the package for stainless barrels only. Thanks for the memory jolt.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks, I was going to get the Lewis device but haven't had a chance to order it. I have been working on a landscaping project and never seem to have time to take a breath. I will try the chore boy if I can find it locally and verify it's copper and not stainless steel.

The COPPER chore boy was all copper when I bought it last.

Memory needs a shock once in a while. I bought some of that copper Chore Boy from one of the g un supplies years ago and used it in my 45-70. I had completely forgot about it. Its supposed to rain today so it looks like I have a search day. I bought some of the silver colored too. From a gun supply also, and they said it wouldnt scratch. I dont remember what its made of. Perhaps it is stainless and like stainless brushes that say on the package for stainless barrels only. Thanks for the memory jolt.

I buy my copper Chore Boy at the grocery store no need to go to a gun supply place.

bilbo

Honored Member
Well here’s another believer in chore boy. $2.37 and I’m back in business. Took all of 5 minutes to get the lead out. My wife said the guy at sally world looked at her like she was nuts when she asked for chore boy scrubbers and have her some scotch brite ones that said copper coated. I went to the local grocery this morning and remembered to check for them and easily found the all copper chore boy scrubbers. Thanks for the help and tips everyone!

Fun fact, chore boy is used with glass pipes to smoke crack, so they are usually for sale at the counter of seedy gas stations. Right next to those little roses in a glass tube. So if you can’t find them at a grocery store check a gas station in an area well known for drug use. I learned this after amazon had glass tubes in the ‘purchased with’ section when I was looking them up.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76