ice house=wet house?

onpoint!

Established Member
i remember a number of years ago standing in at least one foot of water on top of the ice, trying to get my shanty wheels lowered (handyman jack) so i could pull it off of the snow-ladened lake before it froze solid that night, or it was destined to become fish structure. there were lots of us pulling houses off that day! i've cut it close before, but that year i and many others were caught with a warm forecast immediately following a couple of big spring storms.

fast-forward to last week... late winter storm dumps about a foot of snow followed by strong winds. many bailed off the lake ahead of the storm, but some didn't. i took the sled out yesterday and noted the road was plugged solid and the drifts on the lake may stop anything less than a tracked vehicle. while there were only a couple of isolated houses remaining in the area, it'll be interesting to see if/how they get removed before the melt (i do know that there's a considerable depth of ice today and it'll take some time to deteriorate under the snow blanket, but who'd want to take a skidder/plow across 30fow to test it - IF you could even get to the lake's edge?) And you have about 3 days to the 15th NDGF deadline...

wonder if there's a plan B for guys if they can't get out before the snow hits late in the year - maybe a service that'll move your house if you can't get to it due to time or access (before or after storms).

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends how far out the houses are but long ropes might get them off? Or one of these?
20180302_095557.jpg

GSIOUXO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had to go to Bismarck last week.....there was one house on Sakakawea side of 83......way the heck out there all by itself.....very interesting to see how they get that one....must have lots of friends that will help and beat up their pick ups

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If it's wheeled, find a pair of skis for a fish-house and a tracked vehicle and it's really not much of a problem. Now if it's frozen in, then you have a whole different problem. At one time Zachmeier's made skis, a ski for the front is also a good idea as there is a lot less weight on the hitch of the tracked vehicle.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I left mine on a SE ND lake and only had to chip out the chains, no problems otherwise. Quite the relief

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will put on a show Thursday night iffen you are around DL and want to see how it gets done with a 1/2 ton dodge and some decent tires. ;) seriously though.... worst case scenario 95% of the time would be having to find someone with a plow truck unless she gets froze in.

onpoint!

Established Member
not sure I’d take my f250, Boss Vplow and chains into that scene. I’ve moved lots of snow, but the road poses a huge challenge to even get to the ice (especially if mud). And there’s lots of issues that’ll compound lakeside with warmer weather. I’d need the security of a bunch of shovels and some rigs following to pull me out of trouble. Maybe the ice will remain good and snow volume melts.
I’ll cheer from the highway.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ 3 Mile blown shut? Was thinking about heading down there Friday morning...may just run up to Grano.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62