hotels in North Dakota for fishing trips

TonyC

Any good suggestions for low-cost hotels along the North Dakota - Manitoba border en route to Winnipeg? Looking to split up my drive and stay somewhere with my dad and son (age 5) for a night on our way to a fishing trip.

Appreciate any recommendations on fisherman-friendly hotels for this type of 1-night stay. Would be great if it had a pool for my son but simple is good.

Thanks!
Tony

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
so, you are just staying the night and not fishing in the location you plan to stay?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like it E. Must be too long of a drive for them to make it in one day. Don't blame them one bit as take your time and enjoy the trip!

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stay in Grand Forks go to Cabela's and Scheels for something to do. A 5 yr old will like the mounts at both stores.

Have fun

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya... if fishing is no issue. then most anyplace is going to be fisherman friendly. grand forks has a lot to choose from. a couple in pembina right at the border too. grand forks will leave leave you about 2 hours and 30 minutes out. pembina not quite 1 hour and 30 minutes. not counting the strip search at the border of course.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seven clanss in thief river falls. Not the nicest place but $35.00 with a players card and ill put up with ok conditions. Then head up 59 to the lancaster border and give pembina the bird.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think Drayton has a Candlewood Suites. Where do you want to cross the border? Depending on where you are, you can run east on Trans Canada highway.
[video]http://southpark.cc.com/clips/104261/follow-the-only-road-in-canada[/video]

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seven clanss in thief river falls. Not the nicest place but $35.00 with a players card and ill put up with ok conditions. Then head up 59 to the lancaster border and give pembina the bird.

If you're coming from the E along Hwy 2, give this some serious thought. Lancaster border crossing is much more "fisherman friendly" than Pembina.

TonyC

Thanks guys! Very helpful. Yeah, because I've got my son I don't want to do the whole drive in one day. Hopefully crossing the border will go smoothly/quickly too. I have a notorized note signed by my wife that I have her permission to bring my son up to Canada (my wife is not going on the trip). My son loves Cabela's so that could be a good stop to break things up a bit, too.

We're going up on 29 crossing near Pembina.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a safe and fun trip! Share some pics and a report when you get back. I always wanted to get up there in the summer

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't cross at Pembina much but I don't ever have a problem crossing the border. Don't lie to the agents and as long as you have proper identification it shouldn't be a problem. Don't have much trouble coming back either but if there is an issue, it's usually on the US side for me. Get caught lying and they're going to know the brand of every pair of underwear you brought along as well as the health of your prostrate. The last part may be an exaggeration but it is important to be truthful.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75