Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Travel with tarp off?

Votes: 41 70.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was noticing this weekend that a lot of boat owners traveling, leave their tarps on. Even with one guy traveling and the back end of his tarp was loose and beating the rear of his boat up. And most of the tarps look like a balloon on the back of the boat. That has to be stress on the tarp, I would think.

I do not travel with the tarp on, with the thought of the stress on the tarp and it flapping in the wind, which scratches the boat. I do travel with a windshield cover and the motor cover and rock guard on the hitch.

Just curious who does travel with their tarp on and why?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My truxedo windshield protector showed up in the mail yesterday, so no tarp. Plus, my tarp is missing the bottom tether that goes under the belly.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless it's designed to be a travel tarp, I would never tow with it on the boat. They will beat the paint off like a charm.

The_owl

Established Member
I travel with it on. It’s a travel cover, built for it. Protects the windshield, keeps stuff from blowing out/in and generally keeps it a bit cleaner on the inside.

I get home, I just unhook the trailer and I’m ready for next time (after plugging in TM).

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Only time i travel with tarp on is when the roads are crappy, spring snow or slush or summer in the rain cause I don't want the inside of my boat trashed from road goo... i will also add that my cover is very tight and does not flop around goin down the road. otherwise it's a windshield cover and bow buddy

20180528_123740.jpg

18534.jpg

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a travel tarp and will use it if I am traveling long distances. Otherwise it stays off.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Limited travel with the tarp on. Mine is a travel cover and very snug but don't feel it is needed. Will use when raining or crappy road conditions.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I travel without the cover on. Doesn't matter if behind my pickup or camper, the tarp sucks down so hard on the bow that I think it would stress the seams. I tried putting and inner tube in front. It sucks or gets pushed down there as well. Looking to order Truxedo, but many places appear to be out of them. Anybody know who has some in stock?

Word to the wise, even though we may not put a lot of miles on our boat trailer tires and there is still good tread, be sure to change those tires every 6-8 years or so. Inspect the treads for cracking. I failed to do that before I headed out for the first time Friday and 30 miles down the road....BOOM. Trailer tire blew and did a heck of a number by blowing off my fender well.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
PIA but if going long distance especially on rainy days, gravel roads I would use mine but it needs to be designed for travel. Good examples are the Ranger covers. Strap them down tight and they do not tear anything up. Also I had Crestliner cover that was a button down and super tight ...did not fly around

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
When traveling long distances or gravel roads, my cover goes on. Designed for travel so it doesn't flop.

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just purchased my tuxedo windshield cover on Amazon

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In general, it's tarp off for me with windshield cover and rocktamers on. This is of course unless it's rainy and wet out or if I'm driving down the gravel, then the it's tarp on as I don't want the inside of the boat a mess, it just take too much time to clean and with electronics and such, not worth the hassle. Heck, even when I'm at camp, unless the inside of the boat is wet and needs to dry, if I'm not using it, the tarp is on. It not only keeps the dust and leaves out but keeps the sun off of everything also. The good part of this is I'm not the guy that wakes up to a soaked boat or out in the middle of the night trying to get the tarp on when a thunderstorm pops up at 2 am. My wife hassles me a bit but even when I tow it to the lake on a nice day with the tarp off, when I hit the gravel road into camp, I pull over and tarp the boat. I might be just a bit on the picky side with my boat though, lol.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I travel with it on all the time. I had a custom travel cover made with Aqualon fabric. Tough stuff. Haven't had any issues with paint wear marks either. I guess my cover guy is a pretty damn good one.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Whos that and where they out of?

Well it was an upholstery business in Rapid City SD called Big Sky Upholstery. I just found out he sold the business but he kept the travel trailer skirting business he had going in ND. I'll give him a call to see where he's at and if he is still going to do boat tarps.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually wish I had a light cover just to throw on at night or when in the shed , I have a travel cover but it's too big and bulky , Damn near need a crane to put it on.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Custom travel and storage cover for my boat. My boat wouldn't have held up as good without the tarp to protect it from sun, wet, and debris.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a travel cover and use it all the time. Nothing flys out and wife and can put it on or off in 5 min. Keeps the equipment in boat away from prying eyes when we are camping.

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well since I started this... Went to Bismarck tonight to pick up my boat from being fixed, asked the service manager if he would pull the boat home to Minot with tarp on, he said absolutely we do it all the time headed to the boat show.. perfect I thought to myself.. I UNcovered the boat and took off, got home and missing my 2'x2' carpet for the battery compartment.. holy hell what's the luck

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My truxedo windshield protector showed up in the mail yesterday, so no tarp. Plus, my tarp is missing the bottom tether that goes under the belly.

This...bought the windshield protector last year...boat never leaves home without it!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69