embrace the suck...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
of winter...

ok, i've said on here that the only way i start ice fishing again is in a snobear... i don't have snobear money yet, but am now on a 8 on 6 off schedule that is telling me not to waste it... with a heavy heart i put the boat away last weekend and want to pass some available time...

i've been out of the market for bout 10 years, and did an inventory last weekend...

what i have:
fl8
fl20
uninsulated pop up fish house
tipups (old style polars)
jigging rods with cheap reels
eskimo auger i want to upgrade to electric - thinking k-drill
lots of terminal tackle and sweedish pimples, kastmasters, and jigging raps
have had home made, zack shack, and ice castle houses - want to stay mobile for now

what i need is up to you...

please give me your input - thanks!!!

Last edited:

Mgx2400

Honored Member
download-1.jpg9 out

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
your set... save the money for a nice gift for the honey. Christmas coming.
If money to burn, then K drill and plate and one big bottle of favorite swill.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get a stump ice house. It’s on skis and pretty portable with no putting up the house and no tearing down. Pull one with a tracked atv and then you got a more versatile rig; hunting blind, fish house,and an all season machine for way less than a snow bear.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heck the fish don't know what kind of equipment we have.
Like said above. Get new line and maybe a couple new jigs also don't forget the fishing license but you have that already.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
the only thing i would try and change first in your current equipment especially since you stated you don't like the cold is getting an insulated shack... i would also try to upgrade to a sled if you want to keep mobile and warm... the big buddy heater is the way to go once you get an insulated shelter

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah, striker or some other ice suite (clam eskimo frabill etc.) they will do a significantly better job than carhartts

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks guys - do you have to buy the k-drill and plate separately??? i noticed that the ones at scheels are like $40 cheaper than cabelas - is this the difference maybe???

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Insulated flip over or hub house. One good jig rod(Thorne Bros or TUCR) with good Tica Cetus reel. Other than that, just maintain your stuff.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have rods with original line on them from the late 80’s.
My auger is a 1990? Or so. Some of my gear was grandpas, I’m 48 and feel as though I am likely set up for life with the gear. However when I am finally done raising my last little, I will be putting an ice castle on Sakakawea, and maybe replacing some old line.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
with this schedule, i know a hard side is going to be hard not to get again... just trying to wait till the boat is paid off and go with the snobear and get it over with... wish someone would come out with a competitive unit to drive the price down some... talk about a cornered market...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
so, i went out and bought a new insulated house, a new big buddy heater, a k drill, and some new things i really "needed", and now the warm weather hits... i prolly flushed 1K down the crapper if what i think will happen happens (big snow on thin ice)... this year is exactly why i sold the houses i had...

short - i need cold weather starting next wed thru the following wed (when i work) then highs in the 20's with little to no snow would b awesome... please repeat until the march warm up... thanks...

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"winter is coming"

don't worry about the warm spell. You'll be happy in Jan/Feb when you have all this stuff to keep you warm.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to Patterson lake this afternoon, just going to drag the auger out and let the boy try out his new camera. Maybe jig for a couple hours. Ice is 10 inches but about an inch of water on top

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74