Lost My Hunting Buddy This Morning

Wetaline

If you own or have owned a dog, tough times will happen like they did for me this morning. Made the tough, but right, decision to put my 14+ year black lab down this morning. Picked up Molli when she was 7 weeks old and was a great companion for everyone in the family and was awesome in the field and in the water. Seeing her struggle the last few months, I knew she was nearing the end of the run and this morning it needed to be. Can't say enough about the staff at Missouri Valley Vet Clinic for their compassion this morning. Nice to have someone strong when you are not. Great memories will keep me going. Wondering how those who have experienced the same have remembered or memorialized your dog when he/she is gone. Thanks in advance.

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear Wet, hopefully you have a lot of pictures and great memories. Never an easy decision and one I hope I dont have to make for several more years.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
sorry to hear, always keep a couple pictures and there collar in my gun case.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So sorry to hear, 14 years is a long time for a Lab but never long enough. Hugs to you and your family. LB

Boone Caudill

“A dog does not live as long as a man and this natural law is the fount of many tears. If a boy and puppy might grow to manhood and doghood together, and together grow old, and so in due course die, full many a heartache might be avoided. But the world is not so ordered, and dogs will die and men will weep for them so long as there are dogs and men.”
– Ben Ames Williams, Bird Dog Book, 1989

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The buggers burrow right down deep into the warmest parts of our souls and when they go they take some of that flame with them.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m on dog #4 now. All of them have a special place in my heart and in my memory. None of them were replaceable and none of them replaced any of the others. It’s like having different kids - they are all one of a kind and so individually special in so many unique ways.

I’ve had to say goodbye to 3 of those dogs so far, but when that sad day inevitably came, I always found comfort knowing those dogs had the best life a dog could ask for. It never lasted as long as I wished it would, but for a dog it was a great life full of fun, craziness, joy, treats, and hunting. That realization was very therapeutic for me on some of my most sorrowful days. I hope you also can find some peace in thoughts like that.

I also am a picture taker, so I have hundreds of dog memories that I page through on a very regular basis.

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, man. My wife painted a portrait of my first buddy, Hooch, with him sitting in my boat. It hangs in our family room with his collar and tags on the corner of the frame. Occasionally somebody will bump the collar and when it jingles I immediately have flashbacks of my buddy. The second buddy we had, Snickers, was a beagle and was cremated. We sprinkled his ashes in an area where he loved to scent cottontails.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn wet,so sorry,0ver 50 years and 6 goldens not easy at all when this day comes,this thread brought back great memories of each one on mine,current pup is 8 years old and this is on my mind everyday,having a young pup when the old boy was still around helped some what but not really as stated above they all have different personalities,we here on nodak went thru this loss with lunker and his pup not long ago,its a deep hurt for us all losing our bestie,knowing you made the right decision should help ease the pain.Had all my boyz cremated,pictures and urn under each pic over my fireplace,miss each and everyone very much everyday.

Last edited:

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
One year ago I had to do the same with my 13 year old. Prayers for you and the family Wet. It's not easy and it hurts. This thread brought a flood of memories back for me. We have a new little boy in our house named Teddy - he's a handful for sure but brings joy to us every day. Take care and remember all the great times with your Molli.

Last edited:

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear about your loss.

When my buddy goes to the great hunting grounds I have plans to contact my friend that makes duck decoys, he does special ones as urns for our hunting buddies. pm me if you want his information.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear, one of the toughest things we've had to do as a family right there. I agree, I wish they lived allot longer indeed.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry for your loss, my friend.
They never seem to live as long as we would like them too. With them goes a piece of our heart!

Losing a dear friend.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear the news. I thought I may be digging a hole in September. My 13 year old springer came down with old dog vestibular disease. He's good now, but struggles getting around with back leg issues. He'll be missed but may make year or two more. He's 14 now.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sorry to hear of your loss. My last dog was a female yellow lab that lived for about 15 years. I still get weepy when I think about standing over her at the table at Missouri Valley Veterinarian Clinic watching her last movements. As you said, the clinic personnel were very passionate and left me alone with her for as long as I wanted and then allowed me to leave through the private exit as the tears poured down my cheeks! I would love to have another but it just doesn't fit our current lifestyle.

FlatTopPete

Established Member
Sorry to hear that. I'm a firm believer that God put dogs on this earth to be man's best friend. No other thing will show you unconditional love like a dog will. They really become a member of the family. My Condolences to you and your family

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So sorry for your loss...our dogs are just like our kids...love them damn near the same! Pray you are able to focus on the good times to help you thru the pain.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77