The miracle on ice happened 41 yrs ago today(2-22-80)

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to believe it was that long ago, Team USA beat the Soviets to advance to the Gold Medal game, damn good feeling back then.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was a time when being proud of America was prideful.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Herb Brooks coached the Men's Olympic Hockey team in 1980. Twenty years earlier, in 1960, he was the last man cut from the Men's Olympic Hockey team. He did play on the 1964 and 1968 Olympic teams.

ps: The USA won the Olympic gold in 1960 too!!! Herb just wasn't on the team.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Olympics is what made me a fan of Olympic and college hockey.

Still don't watch the pros.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched that team practice a bunch prior to the Olympics. They practiced next door to where my sister was taking almost daily figure skating lessons. I was just a kid and didn’t realize the significance at the time of who I was watching until a few months later and the. Was kicking myself that I didn’t get a bunch of autographs!

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve gone pheasant hunting with Bill Baker from that team a few times. Super nice down to earth guy with good dogs and he’s a good shot.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Bill Bakers kid played for the Bobcats in Bismarck. He was a cool guy, pretty quiet and down to earth for sure.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Olympics is what made me a fan of Olympic and college hockey.

Still don't watch the pros.

If you are watching Olympic Hockey these years you are watching the Pros. 99% of US and Canadian Olympic hockey players are from the NHL!

Last edited:

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was fortunate enough to get to visit the Olympic training facility in Lake Placid. We got a tour and I got to see the ring where the game was played... not a hockey fan, but a fan of ANY Americans proud to wear uniforms with USA on them. Gave me goosebumps in that arena...

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]Who makes the 2022 U.S. Olympic men’s hockey roster?[/h]
Goalies
Ben Bishop (Dallas Stars, 33)
John Gibson (Anaheim Ducks, 26)
Connor Hellebuyck (Winnipeg Jets, 27)
Defensemen
John Carlson (Washington Capitals, 30)
Quinn Hughes (Vancouver Canucks, 20)
Seth Jones (Columbus Blue Jackets, 25)
Torey Krug (Boston Bruins, 29)
Charlie McAvoy (Boston Bruins, 22)
Ryan McDonagh (Tampa Bay Lightning, 31)
Jaccob Slavin (Carolina Hurricanes, 26)
Zach Werenski (Columbus Blue Jackets, 22)
Also in the hunt: Brandon Carlo (Boston Bruins, 23), Adam Fox (New York Rangers, 22), Ryan Suter (Minnesota Wild, 35), Jacob Trouba (New York Rangers, 26)
Forwards
Brock Boeser (Vancouver Canucks, 23)
Kyle Connor (Winnipeg Jets, 23)
Jack Eichel (Buffalo Sabres, 23)
Johnny Gaudreau (Calgary Flames, 26)
Jake Guentzel (Pittsburgh Penguins, 25)
Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks, 31)
Chris Kreider (New York Rangers, 29)
Dylan Larkin (Detroit Red Wings, 23)
Auston Matthews (Toronto Maple Leafs, 22)
J.T. Miller (Vancouver Canucks, 27)
Max Pacioretty (Vegas Golden Knights, 31)
Brady Tkachuk (Ottawa Senators, 20)
Matt Tkachuk (Calgary Flames, 22)
Blake Wheeler (Winnipeg Jets, 33)
Also in the hunt: Alex DeBrincat (Chicago Blackhawks, 22), Anders Lee (New York Islanders, 30), T.J. Oshie (Washington Capitals, 33), Bryan Rust (Pittsburgh Penguins, 28)

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
QUOTE=shorthairman;315541]I was fortunate enough to get to visit the Olympic training facility in Lake Placid. We got a tour and I got to see the ring where the game was played... not a hockey fan, but a fan of ANY Americans proud to wear uniforms with USA on them. Gave me goosebumps in that arena...[/QUOTE] Did you see the big gator there or Betty White. Asking for a friend. LB :::

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
QUOTE=shorthairman;315541]I was fortunate enough to get to visit the Olympic training facility in Lake Placid. We got a tour and I got to see the ring where the game was played... not a hockey fan, but a fan of ANY Americans proud to wear uniforms with USA on them. Gave me goosebumps in that arena...
Did you see the big gator there or Betty White. Asking for a friend. LB :::[/QUOTE]

Stayed the hell away from the water! :)

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're a fan of the Miracle on Ice, do yourselves a favor and read "The Boys of Winter" by Wayne Coffee. Basically goes through the entire process -- from how Coach Brooks was picked as the coach, to picking the team, to the grueling workouts, to the games themselves -- and even dives pretty deep into the personal lives of basically every player. It's fascinating stuff. For a kid who missed even being born in time by 4 years, it gives me an appreciation you just don't get from a news article or Disney movie.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're a fan of the Miracle on Ice, do yourselves a favor and read "The Boys of Winter" by Wayne Coffee. Basically goes through the entire process -- from how Coach Brooks was picked as the coach, to picking the team, to the grueling workouts, to the games themselves -- and even dives pretty deep into the personal lives of basically every player. It's fascinating stuff. For a kid who missed even being born in time by 4 years, it gives me an appreciation you just don't get from a news article or Disney movie.

I have this as an .epub and .pdf file/read. If anyone wants it send me a PM with an eMail address or phone/text message address and I can forward it to you. Don't think I can upload it to a post on this thread.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember I was working double shift so I bought our first new VCR and recorded the games.

The "Miracle on Ice" was an ice hockey game during the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York. It was played between the hosting United States and the Soviet Union on February 22, 1980, during the medal round of the men's hockey tournament. Though the Soviet Union was a four-time defending gold medalist and heavily favored, the United States upset them and won 4–3.

The Soviet Union had won the gold medal in five of the six previous Winter Olympic Games, and they were the favorites to win once more in Lake Placid. The team consisted primarily of professional players with significant experience in international play. By contrast, the United States' team—led by head coach Herb Brooks— comprised mostly amateur players. With only four players with minimal minor-league experience, the United States was the youngest team in the tournament and in U.S. national team history. In the group stage, both the Soviet and U.S. teams were unbeaten; the U.S. achieved several notable results, including a 2–2 draw against Sweden,[1] and a 7–3 upset victory over second-place favorite Czechoslovakia.[2][3]

For the first game in the medal round, the United States played the Soviets. Finishing the first period tied at 2–2, and the Soviets leading 3–2 following the second, the U.S. team scored two more goals to take their first lead midway in the third and final period, then held on and won 4–3.[4][5] Two days later, the U.S. won the gold medal by beating Finland in their final game. The Soviet Union took the silver medal by beating Sweden.[6][7]

The victory became one of the most iconic moments of the Games and in U.S. sports. Equally well-known was the television call of the final seconds of the game by Al Michaels for ABC, in which he declared: "Do you believe in miracles? YES!" In 1999, Sports Illustrated named the "Miracle on Ice" the top sports moment of the 20th century.[8] As part of its centennial celebration in 2008, the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) named the "Miracle on Ice" as the best international ice hockey story of the past 100 years.[9]

Later in the article it goes on to say "Of the 20 players on Team USA, 13 eventually played in the NHL"

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
[video]"The Boys of Winter"[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

must be a copyright issue or something , You can click on "Watch this on you tube" and it works.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74