EHD

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who's finding dead dear ? I found 3 dead does on my 10 acres today, this is down by the apple creek WMA. I know there is another one in Apple creek.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha I missed that, I hate when the I pad tries to think what you are typing. I had to type EHD multiple times it kept changing it to end

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha I missed that, I hate when the I pad tries to think what you are typing. I had to type EHD multiple times it kept changing it to end

You should meet my damn phone!

Anyway, yeah...I've found 2 out at my place already. A mature doe which had a fawn, and a really young 5x5. This is on a 40 out by Lincoln.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
We found 2 walking our property (off of 106h St SE - about 2 miles from rifle range) over the weekend. No sign of road kill on either. Will be calling NDGF tomorrow just to let them know.

STEEL WOOL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good thing SL caught the Grammer error be ause we know Allen was just about to correct Obi.

Founding Member
Founding Member
EHD sucks..
received_1193082627870335.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are finding a shit pile of dead deer up in the Williston area. Especially along the river bottoms

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
1C134AA3-B934-41E1-B31E-6F167B98003C.jpg
One of three I have found so far. This is in the herd reduction area North of the Heart River bordering Mandan.

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found 7 on my place Northeast of Bismarck, I think most of the deer are dead, can't even find a track anymore.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s bad...sounds like it’s a variant of EHD that the deer in south central ND have no antibodies too. I think we’re up to 7 south of Bis/Man - things aren’t looking good.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might only be a coincidence but I wonder if horses can be affected ? One of the wifes horses was sick a few weeks ago. He had rapid breathing and excess nasal discharge. The strangest thing was he would stick his nose in the water tank and shake his head back and forth to the point he would splash the water out until the tank was about half full. The vet thought it was heaves and gave him steroids. has anyone ever had a horse do that with water ? He has never done it before and now that he seems back to normal he stopped.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Supposedly they die fast from EHD. For the first time in my life I saw scrawny little buck carrying a 5x5 rack, Is there a disease for that ? Hoping it was a fluke.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, I thought your area was generally out of the EHD neck of the woods, by quite a bit, actually. Or am I mistaken? Maybe brainworm is more of an option up there? I've only seen one deer that I suspect had brainworm, but he was kind of a scrawny mature buck sitting and a spinning in circles.

If I get time tomorrow, I'll go out and take a pic of the young buck that died out here within the past couple weeks.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, I thought your area was generally out of the EHD neck of the woods, by quite a bit, actually. Or am I mistaken? Maybe brainworm is more of an option up there? I've only seen one deer that I suspect had brainworm, but he was kind of a scrawny mature buck sitting and a spinning in circles.

If I get time tomorrow, I'll go out and take a pic of the young buck that died out here within the past couple weeks.

Yes, supposedly we are away from EHD . The one I saw was on the hoof. I've saw plenty of big body deer with small antlers but this is the first scrawny buck with a decent rack I've seen. The bloat will make it look fat and healthy for a while and then it will look skinny .

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might only be a coincidence but I wonder if horses can be affected ? One of the wifes horses was sick a few weeks ago. He had rapid breathing and excess nasal discharge. The strangest thing was he would stick his nose in the water tank and shake his head back and forth to the point he would splash the water out until the tank was about half full. The vet thought it was heaves and gave him steroids. has anyone ever had a horse do that with water ? He has never done it before and now that he seems back to normal he stopped.
better test for west Nile. We had one get it two or three years ago. Almost didn’t make it. If they go down they’re most likely not going to make it

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had it bad last year every one was finding dead deer except one ranch. He was putting out garlic licks and what people think is the garlic is a natural replant to the midgets ( I know it’s midge but still one of the best threads ever) and didn’t find any dead deer on that ranch. A lot of people have put them out down here and while some deer are still dieing it’s way less than last year. It’s all just backyard science and guessing so take it for what it’s worth.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74