When do you start kids fishing?

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My son will be a little over 2 years old this summer, excited to get him out to do some fishing!

Ive had him in the boat last summer and he did "ok" very curious and wanted to be EVERYWHERE!

He's still getting used to the life jacket and dosnt like being restricted but tough luck!

He has a kiddie pole that I tied a rubber toy and he can cast that thing in the house like crazy now! (About took my head off one day and not to mention all the pictures he's knocked off the shelf ;:;rofl)
I'm hoping to just tie a rubber work with no hook on it and let him throw it out.

Looking for any other advice and suggestions.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like the perfect age to get him fishing at the OWLS pond in Bismarck! It has a nice bridge for keeping kids out of the water.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started my kids at that age now they are 3 and 5 and both can out fish me on some days it's a blast side note a short kiddy pole is really hard to net in the boat I recommend a ugly stick Jr they are a little longer but it's still a challenge and when you loose on of their fish at the boat they never let you forget it lol

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20170523_123246576.jpg this is last spring

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plan on fishing short days at that age, Companionship is important but fishing isn't near as fun for them as it is for Dad.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
AS soon as they are off the nip and walking.#$%^&>;:;popcorn

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plan on fishing short days at that age, Companionship is important but fishing isn't near as fun for them as it is for Dad.

This. I also make sure everything is super comfortable including weather, snacks, ease of catching fish, etc. I also take them for ice cream or something right afterwards.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Great advice! I'm also thinking of buying a tablet I can put movies on�� some parents might not agree but if it is able to keep him from getting board to quick then so be it

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Reaffirm the advice from above. Make sure the day is comfortable. Attention span is very short at that age, make sure there are alternative things to do. Concentrate on fish that are easy to catch. Quantity is much more important at that age than quality. Size might matter to your wife but kids don't care. Give them their own rod and reel. Good enough to catch a fish but not so good that it matters if it gets dropped in the lake. Make sure the day is fun for them, your feelings don't matter much other than you're having a good time with your kid.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
My oldest started fishing when she was 2. I still remember her first fish as if she had just caught it yesterday. That was 9 years ago. The fun is just beginning for you, good luck

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just like anything else, you can’t force interest. If they see you having no fun, they will probably have fun. I have two teenagers now, one loves to fish, one doesn’t. I’m ok with both.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
My little guy is 4 now. I brought him out to harmony lake located just north of Hazen last summer. There are so many small bluegills and you won't be able to keep them off your hook. He had a blast catching fish, throwing rocks in the water, exploring, eating snacks, etc. Go with few expectations for the day. Let your son lead the way in how he wants to enjoy the day out there. The day is about him, not you. As soon as he wants to leave...leave.... and be sure to swing by for an ice cream cone on the way home. He's asking when I am going to take him fishing again.....so I must have done something right!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son will be a little over 2 years old this summer, excited to get him out to do some fishing!

Ive had him in the boat last summer and he did "ok" very curious and wanted to be EVERYWHERE!

He's still getting used to the life jacket and dosnt like being restricted but tough luck!

He has a kiddie pole that I tied a rubber toy and he can cast that thing in the house like crazy now! (About took my head off one day and not to mention all the pictures he's knocked off the shelf ;:;rofl)
I'm hoping to just tie a rubber work with no hook on it and let him throw it out.

What town are you in?

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started my boys out very young, we would take their toy trucks and cars, use rod holders, and never ever think about reeling up to even check bait, that is their thrill. We would us the drift method, and find out when the white bass are hitting, we had a 50 fish day once in Beaver Bay, till we ran out of bait and had two extremely tired boys, neither mom or me had a line in too busy netting

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy an extra scoop of minnows and give them their own bucket to play in, my boys love to mess around with the minnows so much a year ago I grabbed a scoop and put them in a container in the garage. They played with them for a couple hours while I cleaned the garage.

Same goes with keeping a few fish, they will play in the livewell!

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started grandson at 3. He'd always want to go with "the guys" when I went, but wouldn't last long. A "tent" was the answer. Not a real one. Just had to bring a blanket or coat or anything to make him a little "tent" under the steering wheel so he had his own little area to retreat to or take a nap in. Worked great!

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If they can hold a rod let them fish, a life jacket, a bucket and minnow net, go help him catch a crawfish and watch the fun

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_7745.jpgIMG_6855.jpgIMG_6853.jpgIMG_4440.jpgIMG_2145.jpgIMG_7877.jpg
My kids eat, sleep and breath fishing. They would fish all day every single day. I had my oldest in the boat when she was 6 months old. I'm lucky.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4552.jpg
This was last summer. My 3 year old boy catches his own limit and nets my daughters fish

on this particular day there was 4 Iowa boys at the cleaning station with like 4 northerns and 2 small walleyes. My kids of course were asking them why they kept them slimy northerns and didn't catch many fish. Lol

then I asked Iowa guy to take our pic. Haha

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member

I will be doing the same things this spring with my son. He will be two on march 25th. I have him scooping minnows right now and he plays with my ice fishing rods. He giggles like a school girl every time. I sure hope he likes to fish. Ff he does Mom might not see either of us in the summer!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77