Anyone use a CB radio anymore?

NDOUTDOORS

I was recently traveling in my pickup and stopped at the truck stop for fuel. I seen the new Cobra 29 LX MAX. Its an awesome looking unit with features i never had growing up like speed trap warnings or Speed camera warning as well as accident areas and road construction. I thought about buying it but did not know if people still use them. When I was growing up this was my Cell phone.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A CB A 8 Track and a set of gauges mounted on the bottom of the dash and you had it made in the shade

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a kid I loved getting on my dads CB radio in the camper.

"This is swamp rat, I need a 10-36."

Oh, and the camper had an 8-track. Used to have Kiss Destroyer on 8-track and my dad had a lot of John Denver. Oh what memories.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still get a kick out of the pickups with 2 big whips and no CB, but hey they look cool:::

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kiss Destroyer, a svn mag favorite for sure. We tuned the home stereo into my oldest brother sitting in his car in the driveway, mom was not impressed with the party plans, lol.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Memories and a half. I had one in my little Ranger pickup and one in my '78 Lincoln. Also set one up in my room to talk to my farm buddy 4-5 miles away. Simpler times for sure. Cobra was a great brand of radio and it was hard to beat a Wilson antennae.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
had a base right by the phone growing up that was on all the time. but they didn't they end up not working due to a lot of skip and all the farmers went to business band?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had the two ways going on the way to Texas bandit and snowman. Cept wondering if going through a flash toll at 87mph will get a person a ticket. I am 10 10 on the side

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good memories... I was electronic nuts when I was a kid and was lucky to live in an area with good coverage First one was a heathkit build that I sold on ebay a few years ago for $ 300 next was 250 Johnson and finished the era with a moonraker antenna and sideband . There was a little known channel on AM side I think it was 23 and a half , I used to "shoot skip" when conditions were right and have QSL cards from all over. 39 whisky1037 ,Dakota Territory 355. Crackshot.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've still got one in my van and Jeep. The one in the van works well for traffic and wx info in addition to the bear report.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Myself and a few buddies put CB's in our vehicles when we were in high school. What a blast!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep your big wheels outa the ditches, the beaver in your britches, the bugs off the glass, and the smokies off your ass! :;:thumbsup

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Oh what memories that set in those milk crates under the shop bench.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had one and used it but you had to be careful as everyone who also had one could listen, Kind of like the old party line phones. Then they got to the point where there was so much interference and didn't work so well. That and driving into the garage with that big whip antenna was a problem. Cool for awhile.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
My CB handle was Sidewinder back in the day, dad had one in his 57 ranchero, I would sneak into the truck, flap the yap till I drained the battery...oops....lol
Breaker, breaker 1-9 lookin for a 10-20 on those river alligators under the ice, keep the wheels out of the ditch and hammer down, over out.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good memories... I was electronic nuts when I was a kid and was lucky to live in an area with good coverage First one was a heathkit build that I sold on ebay a few years ago for $ 300 next was 250 Johnson and finished the era with a moonraker antenna and sideband . There was a little known channel on AM side I think it was 23 and a half , I used to "shoot skip" when conditions were right and have QSL cards from all over. 39 whisky1037 ,Dakota Territory 355. Crackshot.

When I lived in Great Falls, MT 76-78 about 13-14 yrs old, I had a neighbor kid that was a year younger than me and he was into ham radio big time, he built his own morse code qsl caller, I think you have to start out with morse code first for transmission, then have to take a test to move up to the next level or be able to broadcast voice. He had a qsl card I have it somewhere just can't find it.
His call letters were Whiskey Bravo 7 Oscar Juliet Xray I sat in awe in his basement watching him contact people all over, had a wall full of qsl cards from others users all over the world. Pretty cool back then.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brings back a lot of memories. I always wanted a Ham radio but by the time I had saved enough money for one I thought girls were more fun than radios. I wish I still had the big old tube type counsel radio that I drug home from an auction sale when I was a kid, They couldn't get a bid so I bid 50 cents and the auctioneer gave it to me. It had multi band and a huge great sounding huge speaker . My bedroom looked like a spaceship with all the speaker wire and tinfoil stapled to the ceiling and walls but I came up with a heck of a good antenna, I suppose it was skip like with CB radios but I used to listen to Soldiers in the Vietnam war late at night with that thing. It was chilling to listen to . Also listened to many Canadian hockey games and ham operators world wide.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77