2019 ND Legislature and ND Sportsmens Etree

Mark Mazaheri

The 2019 ND Legislative session starts in a few weeks and as sportsmen, we all need to get involved in the process so we can help preserve our state's outdoor heritage.

The ND Sportsmens Etree was established in 2000 to help keep people informed about issues impacting resident sportsmen. Over the years it has proven to be a useful tool in providing detailed information on upcoming bills in the Legislature. To sign up, please send your full name and ND legislative district to NDsportsmensetree@gmail.com This information will NEVER be used for anything other than the etree.

A couple things to remember as this thread grows over the next couple months:
1) ND resident sportsmen are the primary focus.
2) because of time constraints, I will not be able to address every reply that is posted. I recognize your right to disagree.
3) most importantly: WE NEED YOU in order to be effective. The people who want to decrease your access and minimize your rights are actively working against you. If you don't help us fight back, they could win.

There are at least two issues which will likely surface during the session;
First, a number of sources are reporting that the ND Stockmen's Association is preparing to bring up the "Trespass Law" again. A change to our current law would have a devastating impact to hunting in our state. Lt. Governor Sanford tells me that he is not advocating for the change, but only time will tell.

Deer licensing is another issue that will likely be brought up. I was told that a couple central ND legislators want a bill that would provide increased preference for deer-gun applicants over age 65-70. As with a similar bill last session; this concept comes from greedy, self-serving older hunters who have already enjoyed decades of good deer hunting. If anyone gets preference, it should be the younger hunters. (for the record, I'm 53)

thanks,

maz

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please remove the Elk Landowner Preference. A unit wide gratis tag is B.S. This is a once in a lifetime tag. No one should be allowed to shoot more than 1 in their lifetime.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with a 1-in-lifetime tag for ALL(including all landowners) on the big three (elk, moose, & bighorn). Also, if the ND Stockman's Mafia want to bring up the no trespassing law again, then bar them from receiving ANY grazing rights on our tax-paid land (BLM, Forrest Service, Nat'l Grassland, & State School Lands ) . It's time we as US/ND tax-paying citizens stand up to these beggar-whiners who want everything
for themselves, and most don't even allow any hunting on their land--but are the 1st to complain about wildlife depredation. The ND Game & Fish could learn a good lesson here too!

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if older hunters should be given preference to a tag but I certainly agree that younger hunters should be given preference to a tag. Its great that they have youth tags but how many of those kids will keep an interest in hunting if they have to wait multiple years to draw a tag again? I'd like to see kids under 18 be guaranteed a tag.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with a 1-in-lifetime tag for ALL(including all landowners) on the big three (elk, moose, & bighorn). Also, if the ND Stockman's Mafia want to bring up the no trespassing law again, then bar them from receiving ANY grazing rights on our tax-paid land (BLM, Forrest Service, Nat'l Grassland, & State School Lands ) . It's time we as US/ND tax-paying citizens stand up to these beggar-whiners who want everything
for themselves, and most don't even allow any hunting on their land--but are the 1st to complain about wildlife depredation. The ND Game & Fish could learn a good lesson here too!

Please tell us how you really feel. More
;:;popcorn

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind folks that the "No Tresspass" law is a plain unadulterated ANTI HUNTING initiative. The preferential tag thing is due to the baby boomers getting older and wanting to skew the system in their favor and the cost of every other deer hunter. BOTH are disgustingly selfish, agenda driven, political diarrhea!!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
if the big money wants a no trespass, it’s going to happen
You do realize to state has absolutely no way shape or form the power to dictate what can and cant go on on federal ground cuz you know it's that whole thing of being FEDERAL ground!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
money talks - it’s just how things work with politics

the older I get the more I realize how shady most people in power really are

they’re just monkeys full of snakes

- - - Updated - - -

I’m totally lost on the FEDERAL comment BTW

- - - Updated - - -

what does FEDERAL have to do with trespassing?

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;popcorn;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
money talks - it’s just how things work with politics

the older I get the more I realize how shady most people in power really are

they’re just monkeys full of snakes

- - - Updated - - -

I’m totally lost on the FEDERAL comment BTW

- - - Updated - - -

what does FEDERAL have to do with trespassing?

That's because I accidentally quoted the wrong post. Mine was directed at measure-it's post about the state barring grazers from using BLM national forest and National grasslands if they push for a no trespassing bill. That post has literally no rationale in the real world and just makes hunters sound like loons. You would think the term National on the front of them would be a little bit of a clue on who controls them!:;:stirthepot

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if older hunters should be given preference to a tag but I certainly agree that younger hunters should be given preference to a tag. Its great that they have youth tags but how many of those kids will keep an interest in hunting if they have to wait multiple years to draw a tag again? I'd like to see kids under 18 be guaranteed a tag.

Whats the difference if there are 20000 kids under 18 that go without a licence vs 20000 older hunters that go without a license ? After a couple guaranteed youth hunts they should be serious one way or the other if they want to hunt or not and get used to the system. Better off to tell them to pick up a bow rather than to spoil them and hand everything to them on a silver platter till they are 18.

Mark Mazaheri

With regard to deer licenses; it would be nice to re-work the rules regarding
1) non-resident any deer archery. Currently set at 15% of previous year's resident mule deer gun tags. lowering this to 5% would give more ND residents a chance to draw a tag.
2) cap non-resident whitetail archery at 500 tags. Last year there were about 1800 sold.
3) remove automatic tags for outfitters. YES, there really is such a thing. It's a dirty little secret not many folks know about.

If changes are not made to deer licensing, it is only a matter of time until we are forced to choose one license- either bow, rifle, or muzzleloader. THE LEGISLATURE IS THE ONLY PLACE LICENSING CHANGES CAN BE MADE. Don't complain about Game & Fish Dept.- they are tied by the legislature.

other ideas are certainly welcome.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats the difference if there are 20000 kids under 18 that go without a licence vs 20000 older hunters that go without a license ? After a couple guaranteed youth hunts they should be serious one way or the other if they want to hunt or not and get used to the system. Better off to tell them to pick up a bow rather than to spoil them and hand everything to them on a silver platter till they are 18.

hopefully they are hooked and are hunters for longer just for the fact old people are going to die sooner

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With regard to deer licenses; it would be nice to re-work the rules regarding
1) non-resident any deer archery. Currently set at 15% of previous year's resident mule deer gun tags. lowering this to 5% would give more ND residents a chance to draw a tag.
2) cap non-resident whitetail archery at 500 tags. Last year there were about 1800 sold.
3) remove automatic tags for outfitters. YES, there really is such a thing. It's a dirty little secret not many folks know about.

If changes are not made to deer licensing, it is only a matter of time until we are forced to choose one license- either bow, rifle, or muzzleloader. THE LEGISLATURE IS THE ONLY PLACE LICENSING CHANGES CAN BE MADE. Don't complain about Game & Fish Dept.- they are tied by the legislature.

other ideas are certainly welcome.

How many tags are allotted to outfitters? I'm not a big fan of running guys out of business. How big of issue is it?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74