Dead Stick

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering if anyone has any tips for running dead sticks on the ice? I'm pretty amateur when it comes to ice fishing and on a dead stick I usually just throw a bare red hook with a split shot about 6 inches above it with a minnow hooked through the back set on a bobber 6-12" off the bottom.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's pretty much exactly what i do and have always had good luck. The nice this in ND we can have 4 rods so a guy can throw a few different dead sticks out. I usually have a few different hook colors or possibly a jig of some sort on one of them, everyday is different so you never know what will work. A guy can also lay one right on the bottom. I also use the lightest bobber possible, so there is no resistance to the fish.

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
I started fishing with rods with soft tips like a Jason Mitchell Meat Stick or a limber rod with a spring bobber in rod holders for dead rods a few years back and rarely use bobbers anymore. It works well for me. The only drawback, if there is one, is that you have to set your depth with your depthfinder every time you drop it down to know exactly where you are at in relation to the bottom. One key to it is that whatever you use for a jig or hook, etc., use something that is heavy enough to put slight bend in the end of your rod or your spring bobber so that if a fish takes your bait and comes up with it, the bend goes out and you can see it.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I run very cheap deadsticks with a simple foam, clip on bobber. I use a light jig, usually a flatter style rather than at rounded head and hook the minnow just below the dorsal fin. FWIW, I've probably caught 60% of my fish this year on the deadstick. I use plain hooks with minnows on my tip-ups. I like the idea of a rod holder/meatstick combo and will probably have that set up for my house by next week.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I started fishing with rods with soft tips like a Jason Mitchell Meat Stick or a limber rod with a spring bobber in rod holders for dead rods a few years back and rarely use bobbers anymore. It works well for me. The only drawback, if there is one, is that you have to set your depth with your depthfinder every time you drop it down to know exactly where you are at in relation to the bottom. One key to it is that whatever you use for a jig or hook, etc., use something that is heavy enough to put slight bend in the end of your rod or your spring bobber so that if a fish takes your bait and comes up with it, the bend goes out and you can see it.

I am assuming that you leave the bail closed to keep your bait off of the bottom? If so don't you miss a lot of bites from not giving them any line? I am a slip bobber guy and have been for 15 years. I have had some 10 inch perch pull 6 feet of line off of my reel before I got there. I am just curious exactly how your setup works. You could still use the sliding thread trick to mark where the bottom is to refrain from having to check the bottom everytime.

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
Yeah, I guess you could use the thread to mark bottom but I use the old style spring bobbers with the pen style springs on some rods and the thread knots tend to get hung up on them. I just always go by my depthfinder and it works for me. I suppose it depends on your spread and the type of spring bobber you're using. It might not work to cover every hole with a depthfinder. I always keep the bail closed and just pick it up and start reeling when I see a rod bending over or if it straightens out, much like reeling in a fish when using circle hooks. They usually hook themselves. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it works well once you do.

Last edited:

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Wondering if anyone has any tips for running dead sticks on the ice? I'm pretty amateur when it comes to ice fishing and on a dead stick I usually just throw a bare red hook with a split shot about 6 inches above it with a minnow hooked through the back set on a bobber 6-12" off the bottom.
Dead stick i will use a spit shot 6 to 10 inches above a glow bead and hook. Basically the same as your doing, red is a good choice.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes I like to tie a blade from a swedish pimple or similar lure on first then 4 to 6 inches of line with a plain hook on it. The shiny blade will flash when the minnow wiggles drawing them in is my hope.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74