European mount

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anybody know of someone that does euro mounts of a velvet buck?

ive had him in the freezer since opening weekend of archery. My taxidermist told me freezing for 6 months should preserve velvet. He doesn't do European mounts however. I should probably just shoulder mount him but I said I'm done with mounts

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done one. we just froze it for a couple weeks then I wrapped the antlers in plastic wrap and masking tape before boiling. wound up with a little bit of peeling on a couple tips but being as you froze it longer it might work better

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should have clarified. I have no interest in doing it myself. Lol

also I don't have unrealistic expectations. If some/most velvet comes off so be it. Someone can use me as a guinea pig

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd PM KDM, or wait for him to chime in. His dad did a great job with mine.(no velvet)

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
He said no. Beetles would eat the velvet

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_9859.jpg
I just pulled him out of the freezer. The beam where he laid dead for a few hours is black and nasty. Could be interesting

I re scored him at 152 4/8" after 10 months in a freezer. Ha

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should clarify why we can't guarantee the beetles won't eat the velvet. The 1st instar larvae upon hatching can actually go down the capillary blood vessel channels in the bone to get the dried blood still inside the bone. These are the workhorses for the minute spaces which is why our euro mounts don't have an odor after a bit. I am unaware of a method to keep these little eating machines off of the velvet without leaving marks or residues on the antler itself. Epoxy, caulks, tapes, glues, and other sealants would mark up the antlers once the beetle process is complete. Also, you get ONE chance at this. One gap in the barrier the size of a capillary and it's game over for the velvet. I would feel TERRIBLE if I ruined someone's trophy. Thanks!!!

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id have someone for you but it's guna be north of devils lake, ill get in touch with them if you'd like.

Last edited:

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0355.jpg

I did this one myself from last years deer and vowed to never shoot another velvet deer again unless it's 170"+!! Took 3x as long as normal

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done a couple of euro mounts in velvet. Best way I have found is to skin and clean up skull right away then freeze thaw and dry and refreeze a few times over. Then wrap bases and boil skull. you most likely will lose some velvet around bases.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet if you gave Phil latio $700 he would do it for free for you...that or a line of coke....

:;:muahaha

haha good god I haven't done a line of coke in at least 5 years so I'd probably have to pass on that!

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well heck, just run into Cando and talk to Troy Peterson at K&E meats. He does great work!

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take him out, take a piss on it and throw it in the garden shed.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for recommendations / contact information on who does European mounts in Bismarck area / central ND.
Thanks!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for recommendations / contact information on who does European mounts in Bismarck area / central ND.
Thanks!

Try Jamie at Nature's Reflections up north of Lincoln. I've had him do a couple for me the past two years and have been pleased with the work. Pleased enough to where he got the job of doing a shoulder mount for me this year.

[h=2]6951 Apple Creek Rd, Bismarck, ND 58504[/h]
(701) 255-9535

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74