Rhubarb Anyone???

bobberdown

I have a pretty large single rhubarb plant that is starting to bud out with some white bulbs. Anyone on here know when to harvest stalks, or harvest, freeze , cuz I really like a strawberry rhubarb pie or crumble

MULEDEER

Established Member
It is ready to pick now. Just did mine today. I cut my stalks off about 1 inch above the ground vacuum seal and freeze. After the wife makes rubarb crisp first. You should get 3 crops out of one plant through summer

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife cuts it up fresh, packages it as needed in a recipe (generally 2 cups), then in the freezer. Never need to carry it over a year cause the stuff grows like weeds the next year.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you guys get red rhubarb? Got one plant but the damn thing stays green all the time. Tastes like red rhubarb though.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might be a dumb question, but are you supposed to pick off the bloom stalk for the health of the plant or let it go to seed? I have always picked them out, but not sure if its the right thing to do.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you guys get red rhubarb? Got one plant but the damn thing stays green all the time. Tastes like red rhubarb though.
https://www.organicgardener.com.au/blogs/why-my-rhubarb-green

- - - Updated - - -

Might be a dumb question, but are you supposed to pick off the bloom stalk for the health of the plant or let it go to seed? I have always picked them out, but not sure if its the right thing to do.

yes - but only if you want the energy going to the rhubarb leaves/stalks rather than "the bolt"

other than a smaller harvest (less leaves) because it takes energy to flower - they don't affect anything

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
red rhubarb is genetic trait, dont cut your rhubarb, pull the stalks off the plant, if you pull at a bit of an angle ive found it breaks easier from the stem. Cut off flowers as they use energy that could be put towards growth. You can pick rhubarb any time, but the older it gets the tougher the stems of the leaves are. If you remove large leaves that are shading smaller ones below them, the smaller ones will grow larger.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.organicgardener.com.au/blogs/why-my-rhubarb-green

- - - Updated - - -

yes - but only if you want the energy going to the rhubarb leaves/stalks rather than "the bolt"

other than a smaller harvest (less leaves) because it takes energy to flower - they don't affect anything
How the hell did it go from red when it was planted to green? It had red stalks when it was planted 10 years ago but it's been fricking green ever since. Did they paint the original ones red???:confused:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
How the hell did it go from red when it was planted to green? It had red stalks when it was planted 10 years ago but it's been fricking green ever since. Did they paint the original ones red???:confused:

mine look redder when the stalks are small and then they get more green as they grow, not sure tho, maybe plant maturity has something to do with it also...

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think rhubarb is great, its easy to grow, doesnt require special maintenance or chemicals. It is hardy, perennial, and productive... What is not to like?

When I was a kid, Mom would make rhubarb and strawberry sauce. One time I ate so much I got sick. That's what not to like. Haven't eaten it since.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a kid, Mom would make rhubarb and strawberry sauce. One time I ate so much I got sick. That's what not to like. Haven't eaten it since.

I planted a row of about 50 rhubarb plants last year, in case you change your mind.... Same happened to me with blueberrry pie, I ate too much and puked and couldnt eat it again for a couple decades.

bilbo

Honored Member

Mine are green as well. I also heard it's a genetic thing. It tastes the same to me, so I don't pay much attention to the color.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
My mom made rhubarb wine, that shit was nasty, but worked... I don't really have a use for mine

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rhubarb Strawberry crisp with a scoop of Pride Thomas Jefferson Original Vanilla Ice cream .

Fixed it for you Davey. For the uninformed the previous owner of Pride Dairy found out that TJ made the first vanilla ice cream in America. He acquired the TJ recipe and learned the TJ got his vanilla beans from Madagascar and then went out and found a supplier for Madagascar vanilla beans - ergo Botno Pride Dairy has Thomas Jefferson Original Vanilla ice cream. You can get in Minot at Market Place stores and in the Black Hills at Mt Rushmore ... at Metigoshe stores too.

Pride Dairy also has Juneberry Surprise ice cream. I've finished my first half gallon of that already and we are almost done with a half gallon of Cherry Chocolate Chip. Both VERY good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75