Old guys might remember.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Of all the rifles I own my old Rem 700 ADL in 270 is still my favorite deer gun.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Starting in 36 the model 70 "The Rifleman's Rifle".
Met a guy a couple of months ago that had every caliber of that rifle but all made after the war and pre-64.
Only have one in a 22 hornet that was made into a K-hornet from 1938. Dad's rabbit gun in his younger days when there were rabbits. Said K made to compete with the 222.

See the sheriff department has one up here for auction in 264. Great caliber but burns barrels. Serial number says 1961 so pre-64. May need to go to auction. No ideal how to tell if barrel is ok other that shooting. No/yes? db

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My go to deer/antelope/elk rifle is my Winchester model 70 featherweight in 270 Win.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
THX. Guys! When I was 14 (in 1961) my Dad surprised me with my first 270. It was a used Remington 721. It had a 24 inch barrel, very heavy and not as pretty as the Winchester model 70. But it was mine. Since that time I acquired a Remington 700 Classic. They both are very good shooters.

DB-2 yes you need to pick up that rifle. I don't think most that owned those 264's did not shoot them enough to burn up the barrel. Yes some did but it is worth the risk. MHO.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I loved Jack’s stories! The most practical gun writer I’ve read in 65 years. Had .270’s for years, still do! He was buried with his favorite pre 64 Winchester .270 with him!
Thanks for the Link!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Zogman

Depends on the price but have always wanted one, well really a bunch. Not sure how the sheriff department got it.
My dad had a lot of rifles and I remember he had a least five different calibers in older model 70. One was a 220 swift with the super grade stock on it. My older brother got it. But I did love that gun. But the 264 was the one I did use for deer hunting when young. Depending on the bullet they seem to blow up when hitting its target with no penetration into the animal. Currently have a post 64 model 70 264 but not same as pre-64. Will see, 14 in 61 well you must remember but I am to young to remember. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
AS I stated my dad used his 1938 model 70 hornet that was chamber for a 22-k hornet hunting rabbits. I remember one time when my dad had a 49 olds convertible and hunting rabbits with the hornet. It was spring and the rabbits stood out like a sore thump in the plowing. the ground was still froze that morning so he drove out onto the east quarter and we shot over 30 rabbits in a hour or so. threw the rabbits in the trunk or back seat. Surprise he used the family car for that. But as a young boy he did let me shoot it a time or to.
Left home and did not see that rifle for 50 years again.
About 7 years ago got it and it has a weaver 440 scope on it that I believe was made for WW1 snipe use. The dots in the scope where broke and thanks to another person on here got in fixed by a girl in texas.
So I finally went and shot it last night. Used the hood of the Dodge.
Middle target at 25 yards with five rounds.
Top target again five rounds at 70 yards.
Bottom target again at 70 yards. Not so good but the dot more than cover the target so was doing some guessing on that target.
I am not a target shooter and really very seldom shoot a rifle. But I hope by using a rifle rest at 100 yards I can have 5 bullets touching.
Not sure for you target shooters if that is good or so-so. Using reqular bullets and maybe get into loading and load some of the fire form bullets. Not sure if that would help.
Anyways what is a good group for a 22 shell in a model 70 with the weaver scope (which is a pile of crab in todays market) at 100 yards? db

- - - Updated - - -

by the way thanks again svnmag db-2

Attachments

DSCN9007.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had my dad's Winchester model 43 Hornet. I gave it to the middle son so he could enjoy it. They are not that accurate if you push them for velocity. Mine would shoot excellent if you shot the 45 gr standard bullet at about 2400 to 2500 somewhere in there. I used a lot of 2400 powder. Still do, but in a 44 mag. I'm guessing our friend from Arizona shoots a pile of it too hence his name. Way back in the 1950's I plugged a few crows with that rifle. We will not talk about coot. :) I carried and old Lee loader, bullets, and powder in a blue jean pant leg sowed up. Didn't have enough brass for a whole day of shooting.

I loved the debates between Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith. Jack like small and fast and Elmer like big and slow. Elmer thought anything less than a Winchester 338 was not a elk or even deer rifle. It may be the reason Jack took it upon himself to kill everything with a 130 gr Winchester with 60 gr of H4831. That powder today may strain the old rifle, but that was his go to load back in the day. I guess old age is remembering Jacks load 60 years ago, but can't remember last week.

Good to see some other old fellows that remember these things.

By the way db2 go try for that 264.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83