Rimfire targets build ideas

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looking for some great rimfire targets ideas I will be building something like the pigeon holders. I did build the know your limits target for a long range match we had last summer. Did not do so well for the center fire rounds. But is a great rim fire target.

Attachments

9C8F5DD1-E10B-40F4-8C0A-2AAFA8050F9C.jpg 3A6C16B4-69D8-4FD2-83BA-6DB98B4B18AE.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
OK This was told to me by a guy from a large family of brothers. String a line of baleing twine or mason line about 50 ft between fence post and do not make the line tight, leave some slack. Get out that old bag of charcoal left from last years BBQ ing and drill small holes through. Make some more lines 2' and 3' long and attach charcoal to one end. Tie one charcoal at center of main line and then equal number of different length lines to eather side of center. Two shooters start by both shooting at center one first, once hit they then shoot their side of center until all their targets are gone. Not as easy as it sounds cause they get to jumping all over the place. Fun as hell. LB

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Golf balls hung from a string are better than briquets. They will last for more than a single shot or two.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made some spinners with the framework being 1/2'' rebar and smooth rod for the spinner , Mine were official small-bore silhouette targets. and just used scraps for counterweights . My kids loved them, The chicken would spin like crazy and the ram at 100 meters wouldn't spin. Left them at a buddies range thinking kids would enjoy them but someone shot them to hell with a high power. My counterweights were on the bottom and targets on top . I had a crosspiece near the bottom so you pushed them in the ground with your foot. I could draw a pic but hard to explain.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Golf balls hung from a string are better than briquets. They will last for more than a single shot or two.
I like dust. Nothing makes me smile more than when a clay pigeon vaporizes.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Built these the other day so far holding up pretty well

Attachments

F60551C0-FD3D-4909-9B92-42FBDA131DF8.jpg 916D1547-1423-401C-8BDE-D9EA8AC6C65C.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Targets are fun no matter what they are made of, In my BB gun days I used to line up the clothespins on moms clothesline and had a regular shooting gallery. Sometimes they would spin and sometimes they would fly. She finally bought a big clothespin bag and filled it up because she got tired of running out of clothespins . We had a double line ,When I was running short on BBS I'd hang a tarp from the second line and recycle the BBs. When I was about that same age my Dad had a bunch of corn cobs in the basement to dry for seed , They took a beating once I figured out the kernels would fly when I hit them. I could do anything with a BB gun and all Dad would do is chuckle , I had a cool dad that way.

- - - Updated - - -

In the summer put some pancake syrup on a piece of paper and try to shoot flies when they land and move . Fun stuff . I used to set my boys up at 50 ' with a 40x scope on a target rifle , Complete with a table with chairs and a score pad for bragging rights . That was my afternoon babysitter when 22lr were like 10 bucks a brick.

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
​This is not elaborate, but very simple and cheap. Those campaign signs with wire that you stick in the ground. Place those stick on targets and cover the whole sign.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got a big bottle of helium that I use for welding. It also comes in good for balloons, I fill balloons and tie a ribbon or string to it then tie it on a piece of rebar. They make great targets as they sway and bounce in the wind.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Built a few more targets today still looking for more ideas to build. I could not find any pipe for clay pigeons still working on that

Attachments

2DD51206-DD4A-4F80-83B3-014A7A3513A1.jpg B059982B-9530-47A2-B874-74A25FA03B69.jpg 27CFD23D-12FD-4C0E-8F8A-40FF971A8D6B.jpg

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
We use old keyboards. Challenge each other by picking different letters.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to have a target shorter but similar to this. Would use pistols more than .22 but I'm sure you could adapt it. We would compete until all the targets were on the other person side.

20070899.jpeg

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Built a few more targets today still looking for more ideas to build. I could not find any pipe for clay pigeons still working on that

Looking good Fracman. I think a lot of you guys that shoot quite a bit would be surprised how well you actually shoot when compared to the competition. I liked hangers and spinners for practice but there's also something to be said about official size targets for a measuring stick to see how well you shoot and that will drive you to want to get better. There are/were all sorts of paper targets that you can download and print for free but I can't find the link anymore. Paper can get boring but it's good for a few shots a day to measure improvement. Also had a lot of fun shooting official size steel targets and comparing score. Watching them fly can be hilarious and improves on follow through. I should dig for my targets I might have a set I'd be willing to split up so you could make single spinners at the right distance. I get that shooting is a hobby and not necessary a competition but by measuring how well you shoot will make you a lot better of a shot , Even if you are shooting alone.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lightbulbs and old TVs are fun to shoot at, also aluminum soda cans filled with water or something flamable...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember that it’s mandatory at all gun ranges not to pick the targets up when finished. Best leave that stuff lay as it improves the overall appearance of the range
Those were the good old days ehh? Remember going to the range and having plenty to shoot at just laying around, old bowling balls, TVs, pieces of glass and clay pigeon on the ground, shotgun shells. That was one of the best, see how far you can make a shotgun shell fly, or how far you can bounce it away from you and keep hitting it....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75