Dog with torn ACL

Toby

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have a problem. Pretty sure my dog was hit by the blade that was grating my road this late fall and hit my dog. He is a Mastadoor, Mastiff Lab...weighs about 130lbs normally. I found him after the blade went through, I live on a dead end road, and he wouldn't get up. So, I brought him into the vet and hips, spine, and bloodwork are all normal. She said that he has torn acls in both knees. He is 5 years old and we don't use him for hunting, just a family dog that my wife and boy are attached to. Vet says $3600 to fix, $1800 per leg. My problem is do I fix him for that price or just let nature take it's course? What would you guys do? We have had him since a baby. I am leaning towards fix because last Christmas we had to put our Chessy down.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the money to do it but like I said I am just curious if I should...he gets around okay but I hate watching him struggle to get up the steps to the house.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn. Thats terrible.
I put alot of money into our lab this past year yet things turned worse and had to be put down. That said, id do it again. I am more at ease knowing we tried. A dog is part of the family. Cant put a cash value on that IMO.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Our dog weighs around 60 lbs and he has had both of his ACL’s fixed. It’s pricey and very painful for the dog but I am glad we decided with the surgery. He can run and play like before the ACL tear although after a long day of running and jumping he gets pretty sore the next day. Part of that I believe is his age though. If money isn’t an issue and the dog is not towards the end of his life span I would hands down have the surgery done. TPLO is the name of the surgery our dog had.

Last edited:

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have to make the decision yourself. Some people are very attached to a dog. For others, like many farmers, they are more of an animal than a pet and wouldn't hesitate to put them down. I wouldn't have too much of a problem putting a dog down if it were to cost that much. If you are really attached to the dog and would feel really bad putting it down, then do surgery.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our dog weighs around 60 lbs and he has had both of his ACL’s fixed. It’s pricey and very painful for the dog but I am glad we decided with the surgery. He can run and play like before the ACL tear although after a long day of running and jumping he gets pretty sore the next day. Part of that I believe is his age though. If money isn’t an issue and the dog is not towards the end of his life span I would hands down have the surgery done. TPLO is the name of the surgery our dog had.

where'd you get the TPLO?

Labcrazy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My previous lab had TPLO on both legs in Bismarck when he was 4 years old. He was able to live a great life and chase roosters until he just got too old. It's pricey but it was well worth it for me.

shadow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sorry to hear of your issues. I had a procedure done in Brandon with Dr. Thrush, think it is called a TTA. This they do not do in the US and they were fantastic. Good luck and hug the pup for Magoo and I!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i believe my dog had the extracapsular repair thing done. they might call it tightrope? all i know is they essentially ran some glorified fishing line thru the bones and around the knee. he had both knees done and did fine. it was about half the cost of TTA or TPLO at the time. like 10 years ago. rugby vet did it. love that place actually. they have always been wonderful to work with. not sure if its still a common procedure. extremely limited activity during recovery was key.

- - - Updated - - -

i think its meant for medium sized dogs or smaller.

Toby

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
So, an update from the vet hospital after more xrays and such. Complete torn acl's in both back knees. They are recommending TPLO surgery because of his size, he normally weighs around 130 but is down to 110. He has started to develop mild arthritis but with the surgery they said that it would not progress. It is more expensive then the cost the 1st vet said of $1800 per leg. Since we already have $600 into tests and xrays me and my wife decided to get him the surgery at $2500 per leg, $5000...ouch. But they said this was the best and especially for his age he should be full functioning after. There was a cheaper surgery but that one looked like it wouldn't last at $1800 per leg. I never would have thought I would spend that kind of money on a dog but...grew him up from a little puppy and we have the money to do so so that was it. I didn't want to watch him suffer for a year and then be put down because that's what the vet said, that he would progressively get worse and worse until he couldn't walk anymore within a year or sooner. I feel that I am becoming soft as I get older :(

Skunked

I just want to throw this out there for those that might not be familiar with pet insurance. I got a few quotes online and ended up getting a policy with Embrace for about $37 per month. They reimburse up to 90% of the cost of your vet bills. Our dog is off leash in the country and is a hunting dog, so I figure she'll get into something at some point that will make the insurance worth it.

Toby

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I just want to throw this out there for those that might not be familiar with pet insurance. I got a few quotes online and ended up getting a policy with Embrace for about $37 per month. They reimburse up to 90% of the cost of your vet bills. Our dog is off leash in the country and is a hunting dog, so I figure she'll get into something at some point that will make the insurance worth it.

Good to know. I, actually my wife, we have 7 dogs. House is full this time of year.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are working through the CCL process with our 5 year old Wirehair. We found out last week that he has torn CCL's on both back knees. Likely left one went and then the right within 2 weeks. We are considering the TPLO surgery. For those of you who have gone through this procedure, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. For those of you who have had both CCL's repaired, I assume that they do one and then the other rather than both at some time?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toby Toby Toby Toby Toby. lol This guy is internet gold

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We are working through the CCL process with our 5 year old Wirehair. We found out last week that he has torn CCL's on both back knees. Likely left one went and then the right within 2 weeks. We are considering the TPLO surgery. For those of you who have gone through this procedure, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. For those of you who have had both CCL's repaired, I assume that they do one and then the other rather than both at some time?

Dr Tom Bentenhurst (SP) who was at Missouri Valley Vet did TPLO on my wirehair and it was great. I think he works out of the Mandan vet office now. The same dog shattered a foreleg, different time, and Tom plated it, worked out fine. I'd go to him in a minute.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a lab who tore her ACL when she was 2 1/2 years old. This was in September 2006. I went ahead with TPLO surgery. The dog had to miss that hunting season but was all of 100% recovered once spring rolled around. I was told there was a good chance her 2nd one would go eventually. It finally did when she was 7 1/2. This was in October so she missed the rest of that hunting season too. But like before, by spring she was as spry as every. She had two more great hunting seasons after that before she died from cancer. The second time around, the procedure was about $2500. Tom Bettenhausen did both procedures. I'm glad I went ahead with it and I'd do it over and over again now that I personally have seen that they do fully recover. That, and a dog to me is just like one of my kids so I will always do whatever I can if the outcome is expected to be anything other than a miserable existence for the dog. Now, if it was a cat...

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
That price would be a tough call, even if you can afford it. My brother and his spouse had a miniature pincher (min pin) and she developed all kinds of issues (internal organs, etc.) and they spent $10,000+ on procedures, had to provide a special diet mixture of human food, etc.

I know I've paid $900 to have a bone extracted from my pooch's stomach, but gee whiz, $10k+?? Is there a dollar amount that balances the decision made for anyone? I would think my max line would be about $1,500 for a procedure, which doesn't cover much. My dog is 9yo, now, and I'm already noticing the ligament and hip issues (lab/wein mix) on a day's hunt. He's walking pretty gingerly the next couple of days.

Do you have a tipping line of $$, besides based on age?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76