ATV and Deer Hunting Question

andyb15

Established Member
Do any of you guys drive an ATV right to your deer stand? My dad has a pretty banged up hip and definitely can't walk the 1/4 mile to where he would normally sit. A friend of mine has offered for me to borrow his ranger. Is driving that in going to just spook the deer out? we would be driving the ATV in from the East and all the deer we ever see are always located to the north and west of the stand.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest concern might be driving off trail which is a big No-no.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have deer at my place and routinely see them where I was just five minutes earlier with my UTV.

Remember how quickly deer can cover ground even when not in a hurry. Unless you are driving right through where they are bedded and you run them out of the area, I say there's no issue so long as you are able to do it in a legal manner. Depending on the established trails in your area, keep in mind that even if it's your land you can/will get a ticket for driving off an established trail if you drive up to a hunting blind with a rifle in your possession.

After watching from afar as some guys ransacked the back of my truck a number of years ago, I no longer park on the approach to my hunting area if I'm entering the pasture from the public roadway. Instead I park in a hundred yards to discourage anyone else from checking out my toys. It's pretty clear I'm not hunting out of the truck when doing this, but it still gives me pause as to how far the GW would think is reasonable for me to park inside the gate.

andyb15

Established Member
Permission from landowner is all you need to drive off trail.

I never thought about the driving off trail because we've only done it to retrieve game, but the land is owned by family of ours.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I drive close (pickup) but within 200 yards and I do not think it would brother much. try and hide somewhat but maybe the driving off a trail as sdmf said could be a concern. Side by side is bigger than a atv and a friend with his atv drives next to stand to hunt.
Yes the deer will notice it and yes depending on where the deer are one may scare some off if they live at your stand. It seems over the years one can drive his tractor/combine next to deer but if it is a vehicle they move before one gets close.
But most important thing is getting your dad up there. Best of luck. db

Mgx2400

Honored Member
Deer don't mind atvs at all. cace97128804fd9b28a2db84564e0da4.jpg

andyb15

Established Member
I drive close (pickup) but within 200 yards and I do not think it would brother much. try and hide somewhat but maybe the driving off a trail as sdmf said could be a concern. Side by side is bigger than a atv and a friend with his atv drives next to stand to hunt.
Yes the deer will notice it and yes depending on where the deer are one may scare some off if they live at your stand. It seems over the years one can drive his tractor/combine next to deer but if it is a vehicle they move before one gets close.
But most important thing is getting your dad up there. Best of luck. db

Yes the main thing is getting him out there, seeing deer would be a huge plus. He's not a trophy hunter, he just enjoys to be out there. He was approved to shoot from a vehicle, but the land we hunt would not have very good odds at shooting a deer from the road.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
See if a handicap permit from the game and fish can fix the off road issue.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Opening weekend it probably won't be a problem to bring him to the stand with an ATV, but after a week of getting chased around, I think the deer will react much differently to vehicle traffic. Good Luck!!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes you need to get out there earlier as Kentucky stated. Maybe bring him up then leave or move vehicle back and walk yourself up so deer at least do not notice the new item there. I assume that is you putting the deer up for him. Could use a son like you even if I have one of the best. db

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes the main thing is getting him out there, seeing deer would be a huge plus. He's not a trophy hunter, he just enjoys to be out there. He was approved to shoot from a vehicle, but the land we hunt would not have very good odds at shooting a deer from the road.

If he's approved to shoot from a vehicle the driving to/from a blind is no biggie as I believe they're approved for off-trail travel as well. That said, he has to be the only person with a firearm when he's off-trail. Anyone going to sit with him will have to walk in with their gun.

From the proclamation:
  • Motor-driven vehicles may be used only on established roads or trails. Exception: After a deer has been killed and properly tagged, a motor-driven vehicle may be used to make the retrieve by leaving the established road or trail and proceeding to the carcass by the shortest accessible route, and returning to the road or trail immediately by the same route. Motor-driven vehicles may not be used off established roads and trails for retrieval on state wildlife management areas, U.S. Forest Service national grasslands, Bureau of Land Management lands, federal waterfowl production areas, federal refuges, state school trust lands, and any areas where motor-driven vehicles are restricted. Except for persons having a special disability permit, no person may use a motor-driven vehicle while in the process of hunting deer or aid another in the process of hunting deer including travel to and from the hunting location unless the motor-driven vehicle is on an established road or trail.

Last edited:

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you start driving it a couple times a day now, in this slop, it should be a trail by Friday.:;:smokin

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66