Greedy Thursday/ Thanksging

GSP22366

Again I am disappointed to see retailers opening on Thanksgiving for the chance at your holiday dollars. Thanksgiving has been a great family holiday where we get to enjoy a day of family and friends with a variety of traditions. I can decide not to darken their doors, but the employees of these stores can not make that choice and are limited with travel distances if they have a work schedule. I want my kids, grandkids and family together for Thanksgiving!
The only voice these Greedy Thursday retailers recognize is your dollars. I have made the choice to not spend a single holiday dollar with them and have found other retailers to help me during the holidays and even during the rest of the year. Big box outdoor stores are included (Cabelas).
You are welcome to join my protest/ rant and share it with the decision makers in your home and in your choice of retailers.
Greedy Thursday can be stopped!

Mgx2400

Honored Member
1afb1250-8e6f-0134-190c-060e3e89e053.jpgkg

CutEm

Although I agree with that is primarily the greed of the big stores. A lot has to do with the employees wanting to be able to work. A vast majority of them are part time and don't get a full days holiday pay. They need to work to pay the bills. Now one could argue these stores should give everyone a full days pay and the day off. That I could get behind.

Also remember liquor stores are closed on Thanksgiving Day. I made that mistake once. It was not a good thing.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanksgiving is for family, food, and like Kurtr says maybe some hunting, having fun, not ramming around shopping

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
where I work they decided years before I became an employee to work Columbus Day and take the Friday after Thanksgiving as the paid holiday. weather permitting 4 day weekend for me. more time to hunt or if there is enough ice maybe some fishing

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
it is a different world, with all the online sales and such retailers will continue to do what they can to survive, as long as it stays legal and the shoppers keep coming they will continue to do what they can to get their share of the holiday sales. It is each of our decisions as to whether we want to partake in this activity or not, I never have and never will but other make the choice to. Businesses in the end answer for there sales #'s and will do what they need to for company survival. I am guessing you also want the greedy gas stations closed with all the traveling going on during that day, just saying you will never have it where all is closed that day so all can spend time with family. A lot of times now days if our family gets together, we do it on the weekend now and not on Thanksgiving day itself because of traveling and having to work the next day if trying to save vacation for others things. Just a sign of the times and have to adjust and deal with it.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm neutral, Won't tell others what they should do on Thanksgiving but I agree that it is a great tradition for Family to get together for a feast and to give thanks. Over the years it's time turned into my favorite holiday. Don't get me wrong, I like Christmas and the true meaning of it but it's gotten so commercialized that the reason for the season has been lost in the hustle and bustle of overspending.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had nothing else to do a few years ago and went out on a black Friday. Lesson learned, I don't need discounted junk that damn bad.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worked retail for many years--clerk, mgr, etc. I have come to realize that John & Jane Doe have x amount of $ to spend, whether they do so at regular hours or with the SCUM STORES that are open on holidays. I'll shop local (no online) and shop during "normal" hours WITH who appreciate their employees enuf to be closed on holidays.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being with and being involved with your loved ones should be something you do all year long anyways, not just on Thanksgiving, so I'm not buying into the pity party. Reminds me of people that think they're so religious and good because they go to church for one hour every week, but are complete assholes the other 167 hours of the week.

I like the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping personally.

onpoint!

Established Member
1. shop local if at all possible.
2. spend time with family, especially on holidays, if at all possible. (it's not about you).
3. thank you amazon; local stores miss out on huge shopping hours if not open 'when convenient', we've pushed them to this point by our spending and online habits.
4. i don't care when you shop (#1 and 2 refer more to me and my family) or IF you shop, not my concern. i hate crowds, so i don't shop during crazy times or days. i do like the ritual of shopping for others during Christmas season, hearing the music and seeing the merchandise, but i'm not into Big Deals enough that would make me venture into the crazy time crowds.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear this shop locally all the time. And I agree that we should support our local businesses.....BUT, I've waited a couple weeks for a trip to Biz, only to NOT FIND the item anywhere in town. I found it online in a few minutes and was delivered to my door in a couple days. Finding exactly what you want in rural areas is a pain, but the internet has made it a lot easier finding the items you want. Some specialty items are impossible to find in stores nowadays.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
For me Thanksgiving is for family, football, and the outdoors! I do understand that part time employees often will jump at the chance to pick up extra hours though. I guess I'm fine with it, but I won't be there.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Although I agree with that is primarily the greed of the big stores. A lot has to do with the employees wanting to be able to work. A vast majority of them are part time and don't get a full days holiday pay. They need to work to pay the bills. Now one could argue these stores should give everyone a full days pay and the day off. That I could get behind.

Also remember liquor stores are closed on Thanksgiving Day. I made that mistake once. It was not a good thing.

So out of 365 days in a year, people can’t survive one day without pay? This is what’s wrong with America. Work, work, work, lets work all the time. Dumb. Life isn’t all about work. I’m sorry but I strongly disagree with this line of thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

List 10 people you know who want to work on a holiday.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So out of 365 days in a year, people can’t survive one day without pay? This is what’s wrong with America. Work, work, work, lets work all the time. Dumb. Life isn’t all about work. I’m sorry but I strongly disagree with this line of thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

List 10 people you know who want to work on a holiday.

1.Santa Clause
2.Easter Bunny
3. Boogie Man
4.Cupid
5.The President
6.Mrs.Clause

Thats all i got

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133