• Propane

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • Electric

Votes: 121 50.4%

• Total voters

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't get a good call from Scheels Home and Hardware and it turns out I am in the market for a new ice auger.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the tech for electric augers is way, way better than it used to be...but still has a little ways to go.

I thought I liked propane...until my buddy's quit working on a subzero day.

Gas augers for this guy...at least for now. The Strikemaster I've had going on 8 years still fires up every time (knock on wood). Hard to be a that reliability, especially in our winters.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with duck...

electric, have to keep the battery warm and charged and won't burn 100 holes in a day with out a recharge or 2nd battery (if I had a permanent I would use electric)

propane, cleaner than gas but have to keep the bottles warm and I've heard people having problems blowing up engines and cold days rough to start

gas, 4 stroke means you have another motor to do an oil change on for me thats, 3 vehicles, 1 boat, 1 atv, 2 lawn mowers
2 stroke oil change in every tank and you get a great man smell when you come home to hug the wife

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
got a model 30 that just keeps running. If i was to buy new it would be electric i like ice fishing less and less each year so dont see my self buying one.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you fish for? for perch, panfish,most walleye and thinner ice I think Id go Milwaukee fuel and a Kdrill in a 8 inch.
But Once ice gets thick or you start chasing pike or big eyes Id go gas 10 inch.
Both would be perfect

MSA Will give you a complete rundown of the jiffy pro4

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
For my style of fishing, which is drilling about 25 holes on an outing, the electric is the cat's azz for this guy. Warm truck equals warm battery equals no problems. The perch don't seem to care one way or the other how I drill the hole in the ice either.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I didn't have the set up I have now I would diffinately be looking at the clam plate set up I have read a lot of good reviews with the clam set up. Just a thought

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am with Kurt, I love ice fishing, I always claim it to be my favorite type of fishing, but seem to do it less and less as the years go by.

Fighting the cold, loading all the gear, sometimes drinking a few to many ice cold Busch lights, then packing up. It gets a little less desirable each season.

My old model 30 still gets it done, but if I was to upgrade I think I would stick with gas, in an 8 inch hole, my big 10 inch is heavier, and more work lugging it around...haha

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Stike Master Chipper Mag and really like it. With the engine reasonably warm it starts second or third pull every time. If it's sitting outside it subzero temps and wind it'll take a few more pulls but has never not started for me. Only minor complaint is with it being on the lighter side it takes slightly more effort when drilling deeper holes as it can kinda get squirly on you.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My old man runs a Jiffy propane and we have not had any issues with, but after everything I have heard and read I feel like we may have been lucky. I know I will not have any need for a 10" hole. I have been looking at the Kdrill, mostly for the fact that I can dual purpose the power drill.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Honda 4 stroke that i really like. Its light (23 pounds), not much smell, and no oil or gas leaks. Changing the oil literally takes no time and now i don't need an extra gas can for the auger. I wouldn't mind having the Milwaukee/k-drill set up as well though, just not sure id want electric as my only auger right now. The Honda will probably be my last gas auger.

Propane is dead technology

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Jiffy 4 Propane. I like it, it's reliable in the cold and starts on the first pull 90% of the time but there have been a few issues. The propane tanks leak when it is connected to the auger causing me to burn through a lot of propane unless i disconnect it. As clean as it runs it still has a little bit of smoke. I would also like an electric for my permanent, zero emissions would be great.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I were to purchase a new auger this year it would have a Honda 4-stroke on it...I agree propane is a dead technology...but those IONS are pretty frick'in sweet...give it a couple more years and they will be lighter and cheaper

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an Ion for early ice.

I have a Tanaka powerhead with a Nils drill which is an amazing combo. However, after adding the Nils extension (huge PIA) it is now a more mid winter flighting.

I just picked up a K-Drill and am having a custom adapter made for the Tanaka. I will compare the Nils and K-Drill soon hopefully. This combo will most likely get 75% of my attention.

I have had the Jiffy Pro4 and couldnt get rid of it fast enough.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the majority of my fishing a K-Drill keeps making more sense, especially with a back injury last year that really limited my moving. Keeping my old Jiffy Model 30 so I can get my weight lifting exercise while fishing when needed. Ran my buddies Jiffy 4Stroke some last year and really like it and the Honda 4 stroke does intrigue me but electric fro faster lighter run and gun or for fishing like KDM said

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Model 30 Jiffy 10" bulletproof auger that I use for deep ice or when I go to Lake Winnipeg, LOW, Red Lake or Devils Lake when on a trip.

I LOVE my ION for one day trips. Light, smooth and convenient. I'd be curious to know if the new X battery fits the previous model ION, the first one with reverse?

I almost always bring the jiffy in the truck but leave it in the truck as a backup. Never had to drill enough holes that I ran out of juice...other than the day I left my battery at home in the charger 60 miles from my destination....then the Jiffy got used.

If you are going to be hole hopping, electric may not be the best choice...if you pan to drill 20-25 holes at most, an ION will do the trick. I prefer to have two augers, you might be able to find a used gas for $150-$200...

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I were to purchase a new auger this year it would have a Honda 4-stroke on it...I agree propane is a dead technology...but those IONS are pretty frick'in sweet...give it a couple more years and they will be lighter and cheaper

That's the problem with anything new. Next year there is always an improvement. You never catch up. Finally you just have to buy what you want and in a few years buy something else to keep up. All sporting equipment is that way or else manufacturers would never be able to sell us suckers anything new.

Electric will improve but when will it be perfect? Never. For me I love my ION. It's lighter than my old reliable Jiffy Model 30 (until it finally wore out after many years of use), it starts at the squeeze of the trigger, it has reverse. The best auger depends on what type of fishing you do. Late last winter when the ice was thicker I could drill about 30-40 holes. For me that is more than I will drill most days but for some that is barely half of what they will drill.

For me an 8 inch is also plenty big. You can bring a 20# northern through a 6-inch hole. If you have young kids fishing with you and you use a 10-inch auger you are eventually going to have a boot full of water. As earlier, best is defined by what you want and need.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like Johnr and Kurt, I see myself ice fishing less and less. Especially with babies in the house. My hands don't take the cold very well anymore, and it's becoming more of a hassle dealing with portable houses and finding the fish.

But i was lucky enough to buy a 2HP Eskimo with a Tecumseh engine on it before they went out of business. Bought it probably 8 or 9 years ago now. Fires up right away, had the carbs professionally cleaned two years ago, still haven't replaced a spark plug. Been a great gas auger. I wouldn't have an issue with buying another gas auger, but it would for sure be a two stroke.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would look at an ion. I run an Eskimo now and have had no problems. Starts every time. Propane would be my last choice. I have fished with too many people that their propane augers wont start.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76