boat trailer tires

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for boat trailer tires. Had a blown out tire this weekend. Had no choice but to buy a Goodyear Marathon at Walmart to get home. Just purchased this used boat and trailer and after this blowout, I'm thinking I need to replace the tires and get a good spare. What are the best? Maxxis? From what I've read so far, trailer tires are all crap, or so it seems. Debating on getting a 2nd GY Marathon for the other side and using the current old tire as the spare. Or also considering using the GY Marathon as the spare and breaking down and getting 2 other newer tires. What do you guys think?

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am facing a similar problem, original Carlisles on trailer are twelve years old. They need to be changed before the trip up from Cleveland. I found a dealer there that can get them in a day or two. I have heard they also switched to Chinese productions but need to do more investigation on that. I will admit I store the boat inside so that helps keep the UV degradation to a minimum. Hope this helps.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
For trailer tires Carlisle is among the best choice. Get E or F rated and run them close to max pressure at all times for best longevity.
Locally here Tyre Mart on main in Bismarck carries most sizes and are very competitive in pricing.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright, I'm gonna post this on here, hoping for some answers, and probably some smart remarks. Anyways here we go..I purchased a couple Power King Towmax tires from a tire shop in Fargo I think in 2019 after I had some wear on one of the original tires. However I just ran the spare since then with no problems, but decided this spring I should do the upgrade. I mounted one side a month ago. Have not pulled boat anywhere, has just sat in storage. Tire has been fine until today I noticed it was flat. Air it up, and now has a bulge. It caught me as odd. This same thing happened a few years back on another trailer but was an Amazon purchased no name tire and figured that was problem. Has anyone else had this issue ever? I dunno if tire would be warranty or not at this point but if I purchase another set I want the best I can get for my money. Whatever that is. The original tires are Goodyear Marathons. Snapchat-462109062.jpg

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maxxis or Goodyear Endurance are probably the two best trailer tires on the market right now. I have had my share of problems with towmax, marathon, and whatever came on my boat. Replaced 4 marathons for a set of endurance on my 29 ft steel framed enclosed trailer which has seen several trips to Cooke City and the black hills loaded with 5 sleds, tools, fuel, and lots of gear without issues. And that includes a lot of interstate at speeds I probably shouldn’t even mention. Zero issues so far. I’m sure I just jinxed myself, lol! Anyway I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Marathons on the other hand are known to be ticking time bombs. A few hundred for tires is cheaper than replacing fenders and fixing a damaged boat.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was pulling the 5th wheel, mrs johnr was pulling the boat, she made it to the lake 20 minutes sooner than me, as I don't push the diesel overly hard with this jumbo 5th wheel she bought. As I pulled in the rear passenger tire was in pieces as she ran it for who know how far after it blew. Somehow the weight of the boat was not too much for the front tire and didn't ruin the rim. I have had this boat for 10 years now, and this is the 2nd replacement set I have put on it. Not sure brand, but my tire guy apparently knows what he is doing and I get 5+ years out of these trailer tires.

Seems with all the tires a guy has on trailers, cars, pickups, campers, UTVs, and motorcycles, I am buying about 12-20 tires a year.

Find a good tire guy you can trust, and let him do the thinking.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got Westlake trailer tires on a couple of my tandem setups. So far they have been the most durable trailer tires I've used. The Carlisle's on my 621 Ranger trailer went to crap within 5 years of purchase. Chunks of tread blowing off, etc. I even had one bulge and blow tread while mounted to the spare carrier.

- - - Updated - - -

This bad boy:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Westlake/LHWL304.html

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got Westlake trailer tires on a couple of my tandem setups. So far they have been the most durable trailer tires I've used. The Carlisle's on my 621 Ranger trailer went to crap within 5 years of purchase. Chunks of tread blowing off, etc. I even had one bulge and blow tread while mounted to the spare carrier.

- - - Updated - - -

This bad boy:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Westlake/LHWL304.html

BTW, sorry about the fact it’s a Chinese tire. The things have been solid, though.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Always park my boat trailer on wood blocks for the winter, bought new in 08 and they still look brand new. Keep air pressure where it is supossed to be and rotate every year works for me. They are marathon radials and have close to 12000 miles on them and the spare is the same exact tire. LB.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
The marathons of 2008 were awesome tires the new marathon not so much

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We run Goodyear Marathons on all our trailers and no problems.
I cover them up so sun can't get to them and also made some rubbers strips to put under the tires when i park them.
Keep aired up and watch them.
Time and weather is the enemy of tires.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never covered a tire, park them on either concrete, or the river rock i have for my parking space for the excess stuff.
I have never rotated a trailer tire, check the air when they look low, wash the trailers only when dirty, so that is when the tires get cleaned.
The tires last 5-7 years, and feel that is as good as I will get out of a tire anyway.

Not sure if all the extra work you are putting into tire maintenance is worth the time and effort, or if I am just lucky in my laziness.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just brought the camper home to get it ready for camping. Camper is a 2010 and and we have owned it for 7 years. Going to put new tires on it this week (if someone has any in stock) as hairline cracks are starting to show up around the rim. It is stored inside 7 months out of the year. Camper never leaves the state. Tires that are on there are Goodyear Marathons. Any suggestions on a good camper tire?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those were always good tires on our previous travel and 5th wheel campers.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never covered a tire, park them on either concrete, or the river rock i have for my parking space for the excess stuff.
I have never rotated a trailer tire, check the air when they look low, wash the trailers only when dirty, so that is when the tires get cleaned.
The tires last 5-7 years, and feel that is as good as I will get out of a tire anyway.

Not sure if all the extra work you are putting into tire maintenance is worth the time and effort, or if I am just lucky in my laziness.

I think that is more common than we may think. I own too many eff'ing tires and batteries to put the time/effort into "proper" maintenance.

On a similar note...I wonder how many of us get our trailers aligned?
I know I am terrible at doing this.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So what exactly is "aligning" the trailer...and who does that...and how often should it be checked?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't believe you would "align" your trailer tires any more than you would align your rear wheels on your vehicles!

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you start seeing uneven wear on the tires, an alignment will help save them from early demise.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77