Deer Ticks/ND?

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know the Turtle Mnts. has deer ticks (black legged ticks) but have never heard of them in western ND. Just spoke to a MN grouse hunter that pulled 1 of his dog while out on the national grasslands. Anyone else encountered deer ticks out there? Maybe it hitched a ride from MN?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard they're in ND, but they must be a pretty small population if they are.

Is your friend sure it's not a nymph dog tick/wood tick instead?

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I find small, dark, sesame seed sized ticks grouse hunting out west every year. They aren't dog ticks (wood ticks). I've always assumed they were deer ticks as well. I find them buried into the heads and necks of the sharptails I shoot quite often.

I just did a quick google search and found that two types of ticks that parasitize sharptails quite often are the rabbit tick and the bird tick, so maybe that is what I'm seeing. I've found them on my clothes during a grouse hunt but never buried in me or my dog.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn ticks,won't be long and you guys in north dakota will be flush with them,20 years ago I would hike streams along the north shore of lake superior trout fishing never a tick...today these same woods are infested both dog ticks and black legged bastards,good friend from the silver bay area along the north shore,also a warden claims they have "winter ticks" active all winter,tough on the moose herd up there.so they'll keep migrating I suspect(ticks)

years back pheasant hunting in nebraska,picked a couple tiny ticks off me that were blond in color,nasty little some beeches,attached with in a hour.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe it was a nymph of another tick, hadn't thought of that. IF... deer ticks are spreading in ND I'm going to have to run treatment longer in the season. Some years back I was RG hunting in MN during Dec. with snow and cold temps. The deer ticks were happy to see me and the dogs.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know there are deer ticks in the Sheyenne River valley, mostly because I know of two people who claimed it was the origin of their Lyme's disease. I don't know of anything west of there, yet. I'm guessing they are slowly, but surely, on the move west.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe it was a nymph of another tick, hadn't thought of that. IF... deer ticks are spreading in ND I'm going to have to run treatment longer in the season. Some years back I was RG hunting in MN during Dec. with snow and cold temps. The deer ticks were happy to see me and the dogs.
Yes winter ticks are active in fir tree stands late fall and thruout winter here in minnesota,ticks become very active here in mn this time of year,much like spring,ground moisture ,warm sun brings them out big time,my current pup now 8 years old contracted lyme when he was 1yr old
mid october wilst waterfowl hunting,/pass shooting on dry land with a bunch of cedar tree's in the area,got lucky catching the lyme early but he still tests positive today but no symtoms,guess lyme stays with the animal for the duration of pup's life.

Deer tick infested area where I hunt~

2016 hunt.jpg

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What a pain in the ass that must be.

In case you didn’t know already...use permethrin on you clothes and boots.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a pain in the ass that must be.

In case you didn’t know already...use permethrin on you clothes and boots.

Agreed dirty,perm is the only topical proven to work to repell ticks,I think ticks eat deet.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hate them sumbitches with a passion.
One year while elk hunting out in Montana a buddy and I shot 2 elk. It was the last weekend of gun season and we were up in the mountains and the snow was around 2' deep. Just powdery snow. Anyway when we flipped them 2 over to gut them out it just gave me the heebie jeebies as their bellies and crotch were just one solid mass of ticks. Can't stand thinking about it to this day.
Those poor animals have to suffer with them sumbitches all winter and summer evidently.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I get multiple ticks on myself and dogs every spring. Do not seem to see many at all in the fall, but turkey hunting and fishing from bank around ponds in the spring they can be terrible. Permethrin on you is the best and I use frontline on my dogs.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can get Lyme disease vac for dogs. I hunt them in big woods and it’s worth the 37 bucks.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can get Lyme disease vac for dogs. I hunt them in big woods and it’s worth the 37 bucks.
Be leary Enslow of lyme vacine,had a deep discussion few years back with a senior vet at our small animal clinic U of M when my pup was having health issue's,we talked about option's for our pup's to prevent lyme,best solution he said keep them outof tick habitate from spring thru fall,he claimed tick vacine only works on 5% of the animals and is a 2 yr process,further the vacine is very hard on pup's internal organs the same with rabies vacine,he said the topical stuff is worse,even tho it works great,he said topical like frontline/bio spot etc..instructions say "wear rubber gloves" when appling,very toxic,best soution is using a dip after each day in the field if its unavoidable during prime months in the field.

FYI

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had 5 dogs get Lyme shots. They are hounds so no getting away from ticks from spring till fall.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What do you guys use for tick repellant on your dogs? I have been using Seresto collars But my lab seems to get a little should we say "off" her normal self. Thanks in advance. LB

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been using Bravecto chewables the last 2 years. It doesn't repel ticks but does kill them if they attach. Takes fleas and worms too. Seresto has a lot of imposter knockoffs on the web. There is a page posted up on the net how to check for the difference.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get rid of all these dam moose, they carry hundreds of these dam ticks, the only good moose is a dead one

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just read an article on Moose ticks and how they were responsible for around a 90% death rate in young moose out in Maine. I guess an adult moose can host upwards of 50,000 damn ticks at a time.

Frigging yuck!

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.ndhealth.gov/Disease/Tickborne/

Has a map of which counties are known to have deer and lone star ticks.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will have to check the wife for ticks tonight now, and I guess the rest of the summer

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bravecto for my dogs and heart guard for heart worm but if any one makes a trip down south the heart guard has proven to not work with the strains down there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74