Trailer Tire Issues

Backwater Eddy

Looking to see if I'm the only one or if there are more. I have several trailers, on a couple of them, they came with the Goodyear Marathon tires. Out of the 6 tires I had issues with 4 of them. These tires were not cupped, or bald by any means, with well over half tread. One of them got a huge bulge in the face. The other three started to split on the face and separate in between the treads. With the first split one blowing up and sending my fender 20 ft. up in the air at 60 mph, before I could catch it. I've had many other tire brands on lots of other units and never had this problem. Or maybe I'm just the lucky one?

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing I learned the hard way with trailer tires is they have to be kept full of air, which likely means 65 pounds. If not you'll end up with the kind of problems you described way sooner than one would think.

Backwater Eddy

Always try to run all my tires at the top end for pressures. There is nothing I hate more than bad tire wear. Especially when the outsides wear down and the middle is full from underinflating. Try to take care of them best I can, don't like seeing the bill when you need to replace them.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard a lot of bad reports on the Marathons.
How old were your trailer tires? I replace my trailer tires every 4-5 years regardless if lots of tread as they don't stand up like the good rubber tires of 20-40 years ago. Also too many are being made overseas and their specs aren't what ours used to be.
Age and the sun really wrecks our tires. I try to keep the enclosed trailers tires covered and also our campers when we had them.
Keep an eye on the air pressure and really look for weathered tires.
Man blowouts and tread separation really wreck things!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Still have my original trailer tires after 10 years and they are Marathons. Keep tire pressure up to high end and out of sun when not in use. Will check them out when weather finally comes around. Might change them out just cause.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The real issue with trailer tires are most come from China which have really poor quality control. The old marathons we’re good. Manufacturing got moved to China and they turned into junk along with all the other China bomb trailer tires. The problem becomes finding trailer tires that aren’t manufactured over there. Ive have several trailer tires on various trailers/campers/boats/etc. I’ve blew out two on a previous fifthwheel which caused a lot of damage, lost one on the enclosed trailer last year (luckily no damage), and had one one my boat get a sidewalk bludge within the first year. A couple things I’ve learned; even if the tread looks great, it doesn’t mean anything. Plan to change them by 5 years. The rubber and components degrade and the become a bomb ready to go off. Inspect them regularly, even when new, keep them at max inflation, and most aren’t speed rated over 65mph. With that said I’ve moved a few of my trailers to Maxis brand tires without issue and they have a very good reputation if you do some research. I re-shoed my 29 ft enclosed trailer last fall with a set US made good years (cannt remember the model) have a couple thousand miles on them so far including a trip out to Cooke at some pretty fast speeds �� and so far so good. I had to pay a bit more for them but if it avoids a blowout at highway speed, it’ll be well worth it!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, the sun doesn’t help anything but even with that, all my stuff is stored inside and I’ve still had some issues!

Backwater Eddy

Its good to hear different options on what people are doing and their thoughts on this. I've learned my lesson on this issue. But if someone else can read this and pickup some pointers, that could possibly save someone else from going down this road. Its no fun trying to fix damaged units or replace boat fenders. Or even damaging someone else's property in the process, who knows, it could be yours or mine? Thanks for the feedback.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Backwater Eddy it's already been a help to me. I have been lax of late in protecting my tires from sun. My 5th wheel weighs 17k so I will be inspecting them this spring. A friend who hauls a 5th wheel for business and pleasure told me to go to 14 ply tires. I didn't even know they made them, but I'll be looking for them, and checking if they are made in the good old U S A. Thanks for all the information guys.

Edit: We have been talking about tires and an add popped up on this site for tires. I have been looking at new tires for my Toyota FJ Cruiser. So I normally don't like adds, but maybe this was my day. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...MIif7uzOm-2gIVgt3ACh2fjAj9EAEYASADEgJCbfD_BwE

Last edited:

GSP22366

Recently bought new tires for my 5th wheel and had the time to do research on tire options. Found that most trailer tires are made in China and do not have higher speed ratings (most topped out at 70-75 a few at 65). The rims on my trailer will not carry inflation of 110# so that option was out. Bought Good Year Endurance trailer tires- a bit more expensive than the other choices, but US made and have a speed rating 0f 81. When I lifted the tires they were noticeably heavier. We'll see how they perform when winter finally leaves.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I'm in the market for trailer tires also. Searching around for reviews and ratings on the inter-web Trail King keeps coming up. Anyone have anything to say about this brand?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75